jtval

Reformatting you CF card.

what do you mean by 'cut and paste' ?

perhaps my post should of read that you should be able to live perfectly happily.. and if you can't, there's something wrong somewhere, I'd want to fix it before it comes back to bite you. Hope you carry a spare card..

All the problems I've had with CF cards have been caused by the card reader, usually a connecting pin bent slightly out of shape. This gives CF card error messages and you can only retrieve pics using image recovery software.

Meanwhile I'll keep formatting..
but what do I know

yeah sorry, I get it.

I would reckon thats effectively the same as 'deleting', a ghost image will stay on the CF card.

um... I couldn't say - once I transfer the pics to the computer, I format the card, so I don't have to worry about that bs...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

th ecard was totally scrapped.

even after reformatting it would onlY take 5-6 pictures before giving me the error 99.[:/]

Wow..that's odd. Usually a bad card will throw an error 2 (card error) or error 4 (write error). Error 99 is a catch-all, "we don't really know what went wrong" error and is usually a lens issue.

Did you reformat the card in the camera, or on the computer? NEVER reformat the card on the computer. Also, I've seen it recommended to reseat the card after formatting it. I don't recall the reason listed for it, though...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"we don't really know what went wrong" error and is usually a lens issue.

def. not the lens. I borrowed a card from a friend (because I forgot the replacement card at home)and jumped it. All was well
My photos

My Videos

neither have I, until now.

of all the cards I've been using for the last, mmm, 10(?) years. this is the 2nd time I've seen a card shit.

the first was my memroy card from my Sony TRV-22. have no idea what happened to it but I left it out on the desk,on the floor back on the desk for a few months then it didnt work.

I chalked it up to PHYSICAL damage. It didnt have a card error though, it just stopped working.
My photos

My Videos

Well, they're just solid state memory after all. Some static or mechanical shock can damage them pretty easily. They're still pretty durable though...

Yea, I totally understood that with the video card that I left on the desk,fell on the floor etc...

b
But the one for my Rebel never left my camera except to download the pictures.
My photos

My Videos

And do you keep your tens of thousands of photos on iphoto? Do you have any problems?
Thats the suckiest bit of software i think Apple have produced - the one thing i think the PC is better at is Picasa.

Yeah iPhoto isn't that great, but Apple's Aperture is. Give that a try if you can.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

its a pretty good idea to reformat your card after every job
before you start shooting again. its also helpful to name each folder, with whatever you prefer (if your camera allows this, some canons dont, i think) then make sure you reset (or intentionally do not, if you are continuing from a certain point) your number sequence so your images start at xxx_0001.jpg etc..

if you dont reformat your cards regularly, and they see a healthy amount of use and travel (in the camera, in the pocket, in the car with the windows up:S) then it is only a matter of time until you get a replace card or card cannot be used error message, and more than likely right after exit,and on a paying job.

Bit off topic...

But I have to agree Aperture FUCKING ROCKS.

An average week sees me editing well over 1,000 images, and even though I've only been using it a week and haven't fully refined my workflow, Aperture has halved the the time I spend hunched over my laptop. That's gotta be good :)

but what do I know

its a pretty good idea to reformat your card after every job
before you start shooting again. its also helpful to name each folder, with whatever you prefer (if your camera allows this, some canons dont, i think) then make sure you reset (or intentionally do not, if you are continuing from a certain point) your number sequence so your images start at xxx_0001.jpg etc..

if you dont reformat your cards regularly, and they see a healthy amount of use and travel (in the camera, in the pocket, in the car with the windows up:S) then it is only a matter of time until you get a replace card or card cannot be used error message, and more than likely right after exit,and on a paying job.

The problem with resetting numbers each time is:

1. Duplicate file names if you use a common folder to pull your shots into.

2. Unless you're using a pro camera, the only to know how many shutter actuations you have is by the number appended to the photo. This becomes important in warranty or resale issues.

There's several programs out there where you can batch rename the photos. That's a better choice in my opinion.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wow, here's a funny thing.

For 1 year I've been using my PC to delete files on card, and never once formatted in camera (even when it was brand new). After reading this whole thread, I just formatted my card in-camera, after pulling the weekend's pics off.

Usually after cleaning card on PC, and re-inserting into camera, the camera tells me "1.9GB available, and 546 pictures" (at my usual settings).

Now it reads 1.8GB, and 545 pictures. I know it did not actually drop 100MB (it is rounding), and it only dropped ONE picture, but I still find it funny that I just did what everyone is saying is best, and it actually (very slightly) shrunk the usable space on the card. Different formatting methods I'm sure, but still funny.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Mike - is the Actuation number not held within the camera? I was under the impression that this could only be changed by a factory reset, not a user one?

THAT, I'm not 100% sure of, to be honest....but I'll move to strike the "warranty issue" part of my prior post, as I'm sure that Canon has the capability to pull it up from firmware if it exists...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So I put the new card in the camera and took it to the tunnel for some shots.

I guess I took about 100 before I got an "error 01"

WTF?!!>:(
I had to remove the battery for a few seconds in order for it to take pictures again.

anyone know WTF IS UP?

the good thing is ha I got the bomb proof warranty so I can throw the thing across the room and get i replaced. (i'll just have to remember to remove the lens I bought.)

My photos

My Videos