champu

D-boxs or Other Less "Custom" Mounts for Canon Speedlites?

The major players seem to ignore this market, probably for lack of interest, but I was wondering if there were any companies out there that offer any kind of stock solution to the flash mounting problem. Most flash brackets/mounts I've seen are either custom built/machined one-off, or they are somewhat dodgy.

The end goal is to come up with something that can hold a 580EX while flattened and in a landscape orientation and snap into a stroboframe 300-QRC. I also want to be able to get the flash on/off the bracket without tools so it can be used for ground shooting.

I already have an idea of how to build one myself that will work well, but I'm just weighing how long it's going to take vs. how much it would cost to buy one COTS if they already exist.

There probably isn't a large enough market for most companies to consider making something like what we as skydivers need.

considering the market for making a video or still camera box market is fairly small already... and the number of people that want/need a flash mounted on a helmet is even smaller.

if you do come up with something nice/doable post pictures cause um... I'm probably gonna want to do it sooner or later myself as well. (although not with my current helmet)

But that's just my opinion and the market for camera flyers wanting a flash is growing everyday... :)

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

considering the market for making a video or still camera box market is fairly small already... and the number of people that want/need a flash mounted on a helmet is even smaller.

That was my general thinking, but then again if a company like Cookie Composites can design a box specifically for one model of video camera...

As I said, if I can't find anything, I've got a solution that should work reasonably well and not require elaborate machining. Although it wouldn't provide the same protection that a D-box would.

Have you seen my Z-Bracket setup? I turned a old front mount Z-Bracket sideways, put a nice sturdy strap and buckle on it. When not in use I just fasten the buckle. Easy on Easy off.

Stay Safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I think the best one i have seen on here so far is vdschoor's one. Might be worth PM'ing him to see if he'd share his plans. Still very one off but looks like a good setup.
I think the problem is that the camera flyer market is small anyway and the number of people flying with a flash is vanishingly small so any mount is essentially a one off.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I just sold one like his or week or so ago.I have a horizontal one too. This one pictured i use most of the time .I have another helmet ftp new one i'm going to mount an hd sony on with this same flash mount.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Have you seen my Z-Bracket setup? I turned a old front mount Z-Bracket sideways, put a nice sturdy strap and buckle on it. When not in use I just fasten the buckle. Easy on Easy off.

Stay Safe,

Arvel

Have you noticed much of a problem with covereage with your flash in a different direction than the camera? (Landscape vs. portrait)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Have you noticed much of a problem with covereage with your flash in a different direction than the camera? (Landscape vs. portrait)

Are you assuming that the shape of the flash body equates to a similarly shaped "flash coverage zone"?

I really don't know the answer, have never even thought of this. But if I had to guess I'd say that the "coverage zone" would be a roughly circular region, regardless of the fact that the flash may be a few inches wider in one direction.

Does anybody know?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just sold one like his or week or so ago.I have a horizontal one too. This one pictured i use most of the time .I have another helmet ftp new one i'm going to mount an hd sony on with this same flash mount.

can you post pictures of your flash mount without the flash mounted in it? and or off the helmet?

the design that you have is sort of what I was thinking about doing myself and it would be nice to get/see some additional detail.

thats something I want to know also.. I am about to get a flash and was wondering if I have to mount it in the same orientation as my camera.

When you get it, aim at a big shiny wall and take pictures in different orientations. See what shape your shiny reflection is. Post the pics. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Are you assuming that the shape of the flash body equates to a similarly shaped "flash coverage zone"?

Yes. And as someone mentioned already, the effect is more noticeable the darker the scene gets.

I don't have an off-shoe cord yet, so I can't show you what a rotation does on a wall, but what you can do is shoot with a wide lens and the flash manually zoomed all the way in and see an oval shape of light in the frame.

Now, if your flash is zoomed to a conservatively short focal length (at the expense of wasting light outside the frame) and/or you're not right on top of the subject, you probably won't notice a difference because in skydiving the background is so far away and unaffected by the flash anyway. But if you're shooting unique angles and getting artsy with your framing (i.e. getting away from, "subject in the center, 10% margin on all sides of the frame" kind of shots) you'll have dark areas on your subject near the left and right edges of the frame.

Dude,
When I started shooting video I had to make my own mount to hold a camera. Why are you whining about a flash mount.
David

Because I'm a spoiled whiny brat who doesn't appreciate recent advances as much as those who really had it rough, shooting video with five pound cameras on their heads, VCRs mounted to their chest, uphill both ways in the snow.

Also, I'm a systems engineer. Sure I do design work from time to time, but I prefer to tell other people what they need to design for me, and then tell them it's not good enough when they're done. :P

Also, I'm a systems engineer. Sure I do design work from time to time, but I prefer to tell other people what they need to design for me, and then tell them it's not good enough when they're done. :P

:D:D So very accurate... :D:D

I was on the phone with Matt, the engineer at Really Right Stuff and asked about possibly making something for skydiving. While it is possible, it would be a bit impractical to make a mount very few people would use as it would be very expensive. After explaining what it is people are after, he offered an existing option that may have some merit. My main concern after seeing what he recommended was the strength of the shoe to hold the flash in place since the picture is a bit vague in how the flash and the shoe interface. He assured me that once you screwed the flash down onto the cold shoe it wasn't going anywhere unless the flash body broke.

The picture shows a vertical orientation and depending on your set up, a vertical orientation may or may not be ideal. For those who wish to lay the flash down the same set up can be used but would require you to fashion a small piece of L bracket to attach the clamp to. Using the pictured cold shoe you can use any RRS clamp or better yet, mini clamp to secure the coldshoe/flash to the clamp. If space was an issue,the mini clamp would be ideal for both a vertical or horizontal mounting. It's not absolutely a fix but it is an option. Matt said he would look into the possibility of combining existing parts so that a horizontal orientation could be achieved. If he finds something out I'll be sure to post it here.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

He assured me that once you screwed the flash down onto the cold shoe it wasn't going anywhere unless the flash body broke.

That might be the heart of the (irrational?) fear I have regarding a lot of the flash quick releases I see. They can be as strong as an ox, but I look at the "double shoe" junction involved when you throw an off-shoe cord in the mix, combined with the flash construction and top-heaviness in general and it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling I'm looking for. It looks like a setup that would work for 30 jumps? 40 jumps maybe? I feel like the repeated stress of the flying and openings would get the better of the flash.

I made an "engineering model" of my desired bracket out of cardboard and asked my team mate who owns a machine shop to make it up out of 0.125" aluminum plate. I've got the rest of the setup ready to go, I'll take some photos of it when I get it set up, I think it should work well.

I hear what you're saying but I think that the durability isn't as big of an issue as many may think if the flash is mounted correctly. Case in point, Mike McGowan jumps a very large double camera, double flash set up on his FTP and it has worked for him for years. I'll be out in Eloy in a few days and I'll try and get a picture of his setup for those who haven't seen it and for reference for those interested I building a similar setup of their own.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING