grega

4:3 vs 16:9

The CCD in most consumer (DV)cameras capture a 4:3 image.

When shooting in 16:9, the camera crops the image and puts the 16:9 video on your tape, scaled up to 4:3 (squeezed image)

Although your CCD doesnt actually capture more pixels/detail, you do gain some quality (as more space on the tape is used to store the data) when compared to video you shoot at 4:3 and lateron letterbox/crop to 16:9.

Maybe DSE could chime in with the more specific tech details?

The terms 'for some stuff it works' is just a matter of how you frame things.
Most people (myself included) just look at a subject and shoot.
Thats both in freefall, and shooting people coming in for landings etc.

There's not a lot of people that actualy fly in such an intuitive way, that they work on framing during a jump.

Depending on how your look at it (mostly, depending on what lens you're using) you gain two extra pieces of image on the side, or you loose bits of image on the top:P

Look at what your audience will be viewing the video on.
When I do a tandemvideo, I ask them if they would like a widescreen version or 4:3 version (depending on what TV they have at home)

Watching the stuff I shoot on a widescreen TV is what I like (and do) most, so thats what I shoot in..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If I had a camera that was set up for it (i.e. HC3, HC5, HC7) I would shoot in 16:9. Since I don't, I shoot in 4:3 and in post production i crop it. That lets me use a crude form of "pan and scan" to fix issues with centering and to do some image stabalization in after effects. One of my videos in which I did this can be seen here
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have a brief article on this subject, written for a magazine.

bottom line---get familiar with wide, because there is no more 4:3 being produced, anywhere. Whether you're letterboxing, anamorphically shooting/stretching, or zooming to crop (sucky way to do this), all broadcast in 12 months will adhere to the DTV standard, which will create 16:9 one way or another. Many broadcasters do this now. Vertical framing is identical to 3:2 or 4:3 (same thing, two names) Horizontal framing is a different story. It does take time to become used to the additional third area, IMO.

DSE explained pretty much of it…. In addition I would say turn on the marker on your camera’s display. It should be in the menu somewhere. This one has a few options. Select the one where your camera records 16:9 but puts a 4:3 marker (normally a white frame) to your display. When you shoot your video make sure your framing of your subject stays within the 4:3 marker. When you display your 16:9 footage on a 4:3 screen make sure the video gets cropped and not squeezed (looks funny).
Of course in freefall you won’t be able to see any of your camera display. So my advice practice on the ground a bit and develop the “FEEL” to keep your subject within the 4:3 margin.
But again as DSE said already the bottom end is very soon 16:9 will became the everyday standard, so I would keep shooting in wide format.
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

a 16:9 camera on its side [Laugh]

Ive (for a laugh) debriefed wingsuit jumps with the TV on its side, does that count?

That's the nice aspect of modern media; there is no "side." We just finished a series of tradeshow presentations for widescreen shot from a horizontal up perspective. Widescreens on their side to display two 4:3 images top/bottom, and a basketball player standing full body view. Very fun stuff. May be a fun way to show competitions with two cam views?

May be a fun way to show competitions with two cam views?

Well, maybe a Freefly competition, but that wouldn't "work" with 4-way.

The top camera flyers are already in the optimum spot and another "view" would be, uh, misleading(?), open for interpretation(?), confusing(?). Not really sure how to put it.

Needless to say the French wouldn't like the idea at all. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver