freeflir29

Basic Still Camera Settings: Digital Rebel XTI

So I bought a new toy. I won't be jumping it for some time due to knee surgery and work BUT tell me what I need to know. I have some guesses like setting it to "No Flash" so the flash doesn't pop up in flight. What about auto focus? Does that work during a skydive or should I go infinity. What you say?

Settings during a skydive will probally be vastly different then most settings you'll want on the ground. Go buy a good photography book and read it. Then play with the settings until you get the results you want. Setting it to auto and walking away will yield ok pictures, but learning the camera will result in great pictures.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah I was sorta biting my tongue..... :D

"What? I just bought all this cool stuff and now I have to go and read a book and learn a lot of stuff? No magic one-setting-fits-all?" :D

LOL a search through this forum SHOULD turn up a post like yours ;)

And sorry @Freeflir if you didn't mean it that way, it's just a question that gets asked a lot :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Well, i have read through a couple posts, the conclusion for me so far is setting Tv with 1/400, Auto Focus Servo and Iso 200 or 400 when it is a bit darker. That gives me an Aperture of around 8 which i heard from reading on Photo Forums is an Aperture were the Stock lens works best.

But all the other Tips like RTFM, buy a book and search are mandatory ;)

Keep in mind that i only have 7 jumps with my Rebel XT.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

I bought a new flash about 3 weeks ago... and then a week or so after that I bought a nice book to teach myself to better know how to use it... B|

I also read the manual and a couple of nice tutorials I found online...:ph34r:
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I bought a new flash about 3 weeks ago... and then a week or so after that I bought a nice book to teach myself to better know how to use it... B|

I also read the manual and a couple of nice tutorials I found online...:ph34r:

Wow good for you ;)

Hmmmm i have a flash but have never even read the manual (did it even come with one? no clue) :$

Oh well, most pics with it turn out fine, haven't jumped it though.

Seems like the regular pop-up flash isn't that bad for jumping anyway:
http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,489/page,view/catid,24/PageNo,1/key,33/hit,1/
http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,489/page,view/catid,24/key,34/hit,1/
http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,489/page,view/catid,24/key,35/hit,1/

ciel bleu,
Saskia

RTFM?

Did that already. Amazingly enough they don't have ANYTHING skydiving related in there. :D It's also the little things like which switch settings allow me to use the "burst" mode. Obviously important. ;) I could finger fuck the camera until I figured all this stuff out but it's a hell of a time saver to tap all the knowledge that is already here. Yeah........I'm lazy. :D

Might not be a popular answer on a photography forum, but set that thing on sports mode and autofocus and go have fun.

Then go back, look at your pictures, and see what settings the camera chose. Find pictures that came out great, and figure out why they came out great. Find pictures that came out sucky, and figure out why they came out sucky. Then go try picking your own settings and see how they come out.

Dave

I have some guesses like setting it to "No Flash" so the flash doesn't pop up in flight.

I jumped at night with a couple of guys that used their rebels intergrated flash at freefly speeds. I know what the techs a Canon would say about that but........

Truthfully I tape mine down during day jumps. I may secure it in the open position if I decide to use it at night.

I jumped at night with a couple of guys that used their rebels intergrated flash at freefly speeds. I know what the techs a Canon would say about that but........

That's crazy, Glen! Who woulda known? I still wouldn't do it. :$
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I go so far as to tape my flash down... wouldn't want it coming open accidentally somehow.

The only problem is that if the camera decides it wants to deploy the flash and it is taped down, it will report an error code and not take any pictures *at all* until you switch it off and on. So, make sure you have a setting where the camera does not automatically open the flash when taking pictures.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

You can never get a straight answer on here can you.

Honestly, it depends on your needs. Almost all of us at my DZ use a digital rebel of some sort. I just sold my Rebel to buy a Rebel XTI. It's amazing how just putting it on sports mode, turn the flash setting to off (it won't pop up not matter what the camera wants that way) and have at it.

The only other adjustments you might want to make are adjustment for lighting conditions, light cloudy or sunny. Read your manual for that. I also recommend jumping on eBay and buying the 3 filters for it for about ten bucks. It has two purposes. It protects the lens from anything in the air, and depending on the filter, it compensated for UV, or bright conditions.

That's how I shoot, and I get great pictures. No if you're going pro photography, there are a lot of people on here that will recommend some expensive stuff and it's worth it if you have the money.

Good luck and blue skies.
Brad

The problem with giving a "straight answer" simple answer is that there isn't a simple answer for all conditions. That's why people suggest reading a book, and going out and experimenting.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The problem with giving a "straight answer" simple answer is that there isn't a simple answer for all conditions. That's why people suggest reading a book, and going out and experimenting.

Exactly. Try giving me a straight answer for "what body position is needed to be a good skydiver?" ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Honestly, it depends on your needs. Almost all of us at my DZ use a digital rebel of some sort. I just sold my Rebel to buy a Rebel XTI. It's amazing how just putting it on sports mode, turn the flash setting to off (it won't pop up not matter what the camera wants that way) and have at it.

The only other adjustments you might want to make are adjustment for lighting conditions, light cloudy or sunny. Read your manual for that. I also recommend jumping on eBay and buying the 3 filters for it for about ten bucks. It has two purposes. It protects the lens from anything in the air, and depending on the filter, it compensated for UV, or bright conditions.

That's how I shoot, and I get great pictures. No if you're going pro photography, there are a lot of people on here that will recommend some expensive stuff and it's worth it if you have the money.

Good luck and blue skies.

Most of my better photos have come from times where I took the extra step to adjust the camera for the specific situation. One size fits all is a horrible concept to use when taking pictures. It works, if you don't want to make the most of a situation, but when you want something spectacular it helps to actually make specific adjustments.

Going up at first in some kind of auto mode doesn't hurt. The key is to sit and review your pictures after the jump to see what the camera thought was right, how it could be better, and what the conditions (light, haze, time of year, cloud cover, etc...) are. I am still working on that myself.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka