mark135

camera helmets

anyone using the optic, rawa or other open face helmets of this type with stills for tandems?
Has anyone made a homemade d box for thier still. seems on these types of helmets they stick out like a sore thumb.

everyone gets a d-box for thier 500$ video but leaves thier 1000$still up top to get knocked around.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

everyone gets a d-box for thier 500$ video

Not everyone, been flying cameras a long time now and have never incased any of them and one of the videos is still going strong after eight years. It helps if you take care of your equipment and be mindful it's all up there and duck your head on climb out, don't jump in the rain ECT. All your doing is adding weight and spending more money. The funny thing to me is most of the guys I have seen with all that extra shit are on their second and third video cams they put in the boxes.:S
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

To be honest I went 6-7 years without a box for my vid. I got one as a gift and the only good thing about it is the ease of removal to change tapes or dub.

I am more interested how many ppl use the typical freefly (side mount) type camera helmets for shooting tandems along with a still.

My wife and I have both used top mounts for years, mostly protec and i have to admit with mixing and matching liners and a good tight ridell chin cup it's a pretty stable platform. the bad part is with the still it is very front heavy. My thought is simply to distribute the weight a little better with a side mount and still up top.

I really dont want to spend 7-800 on a flat top although i have used them and they are a good platform.

I bought a sonic from skydanceheadgear.com and finally but my gear together.

I have both my digital rebel and sony hc36 mounted on top. With them both there the weight ditro is perfect. I made a neoprene condom for my rebel and I'm in the process of making one for my video.

I bought neoprene sheet (3x4 Feet) on-line for about 10 bucks. I literally scanned my camera on all sides, printed the scans, cut them out and made the neoprene from the cut paper. Worked out pretty good, it's 2mm neo so its not heavy and protects from bumps and changes in temp (stopping it from fog'in in the air).

Sure it took some work, but I had time. Good luck!
Brad

I have been useing my FF2 for TMs now for over 2 years. My neck has never been better, I love my side mount and I have a RAWA I have yet to put in service, but will this next season.

Check it!!

Stay Safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I jump an optic with a 350 D on top and a PC109 on a bracket on the side. I don't use boxes for either, i like being able to open the side screen on my vid cam to use on the ground for tandems vids, it means i can frame up nice low angle shots etc and still see what i'm shooting.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

rawa with pc-350 & eos-350d (strobo)

Me too but with a manfrotto mount! the smaller one that you don't have to take off to change the battery.

When i was at the kenya boogie there were a few russians there. they had exact copies of Rawas(and even finished slightly better), they also had these immaculate cases for thier stills camera on the top and like the origional rawas. they weighed nothing.

I might get one of the stills cases when i'm in russia next august.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

everyone gets a d-box for thier 500$ video but leaves thier 1000$still up top to get knocked around.

Side mounted video has an increased risk for a riser strike which makes the box a good idea.

If you get a riser strike on a top mounted still, then you've done something really wrong.

As far as tandems goes, you're the biggest risk to a top mounted camera. If you can keep from dinging it on the door, or in the plane, it should be fine.

If you can keep from dinging it on the door, or in the plane, it should be fine.

Aint that the truth.

I would reccomend starting with a cheaper 35mm camera body for just this reason. Where a good digital can cost upwards of a grand, you can find an old 35mm body cheap to get experienced on first.

My first still took one hell of a beating, by me...
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Doing video out of a 182 you you will bump the still occasionally it is inevitable, hence the d-box question.

Not sure ppl are really reading the post. Neither my wife or I are new to video/still camera flying just looking at switching from top mount to side mount.

my attempt is to get better weight balance. without going to a ftp for $ reasons. there doesnt seem to be much budget minded top mount helmets.(helmets you can put both still and vid up top.)

looking for replies from ppl who have switched and mainly use their set up for tandems with the occasional rw jump as that is our typical scenario.

maybe i am just asking the wrong questions.

Doing video out of a 182 you you will bump the still occasionally it is inevitable, hence the d-box question.

Here's the way I see it. When was the last time you got hit in the nuts with something? Or accidentally banged yourself in the nuts?

Hopefully it's been awhile, and it's because you are careful with your boys down there. Treat your cameras the same way, and you'll be golden.

A better comparison might be to your pin. I hope you're careful with your pin and handles when moving around in a small AC, just give your cameras the same treatment. Plan your moves ahead of time, then follow your plan.

>my attempt is to get better weight balance. without going to a ftp for $ reasons. there doesnt seem to be much budget minded top mount helmets.(helmets you can put both still and vid up top.)

looking for replies from ppl who have switched and mainly use their set up for tandems with the occasional rw jump as that is our typical scenario.

I changed from top mount to save on bulk and weight but mainly to have more communication with my subject. Bulky top mounts with front mounted stills are too impersonal and intruding when flying really close IMHO

Unfortunately i don't get to film many tandems anymore, hopefully soon though! I film freestyle mainly now. that is more fun!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I jumped a 182 all season long and as Dave said be aware of what your doing on climb out it's not a problem, I don't hit my cam or stills (both top mounted on a FTP) when jumpind a 182 or a porter.
If you don't want build a W.rich helmet, there have been some good deals on here for FTP's with all the extras for a reasonable price.

AFAIK the camera boxes are great. IMO his camerahelmets need some work here and there to be really great but I like mine.

Boxes for video camera's are EUR 155 (~USD 192), not sure if still camera boxes are the same they're not listed but I know he makes them too.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

A few weeks back I was diving out of a 182 after a couple of jumpers to do video and managed not to strike anything. (I use a Rawa with an HC-32 and Top mount Rebel XT)

I think its much more important to be aware of the fact that there is in fact something up there then to assume that a D-box will take care of bumping and such...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Just thought I'd add my 2cents worth
Stratostars right not everyone uses d boxes.
Before digital I use to use a box with a high 8 to stop tape flutter but that was before putting a camera in a box became fashionable.
I have been jumping an Optik since they came out I have 2 setups.
Tandem Sony side mount and 10d top mount
4 way 2 x Sony top mount and 10d front mount.
I have jumped 182s, 206s, porters, and caravans with both setups and no problems or no riser strikes.
Know what you use and know how to use it.

John

thats what I was thinking.. once you jump whatever your setup is a few times, you shouldn't bump your head anymore.. I'm 6'6 and I jump a batrack with vid and stills top mounted w/o boxes and don't bump my head. I have jumped 182's, porters, caravans, and KA's and have never really had a problem unless somebody else bumps into me. But I have learned to avoid that as well..

Also, i paid about $150 for my vid camera and just cant justify spending $200 for a box.. :S

Yep mine is pretty tall when I have a pc 100 next to a 20d and not as tall with other set up's I use, but I use the pc 100 for most tandem and aff videos and the 20d on every jump. This has never been an issue with turbine AC, KA's , T-otters, skyvans,C-van's, B-99's, PAC-750,heli. or D-18's The time you have to be more aware is in 182's or 205 -206's when doing a climb out, you can mess up the airflow and make the door drop, to avoid this I just look down over the strut, till I got out far enough to get the air to hold the door up again, and it makes for a good DZ shot if your over the top. With a porter all you have to do is DUCK your head going out the door and bend at the knees if you are rear float and hope the pilot don't fuck with you by lowering the flaps.;)

And a box is one more thing to slow down access to cameras and media and switches, plugs. I don't have any photos of that set up (pc 100 & 20d) to post, but this is attachment is what a use for films and TV commercial production work, and there a a hell of a lot of expense in cam's there, so I find it kind of funny, all the worry about using d-boxes for bumping one's head, if you can't keep from hitting your head, your one of the reasons we have DZO's mandating AAD's these days. For gods sake man duck MOFO duck!