jessf

fun-video wannabe

i have 159 jumps and am interested in shooting video... but just for myself and fellow funjumpers. not really sure where to start. new /used ....type.....
hard drive /tape[disc]... side mount / top mount. can anyone point me in the right direction. thx.

OUCH you guys are harsh:o...but honest.:D

Jessf,
I am sure you want to get an idea of what to get etc. but (they more then)I have typed answers to these questions a whole lot of times.

if you search for things like "camera setup" "new Camera" "help" ETC.

I am sure you'll find a lot of answers. after that post a specific question and I bet people would be more apt to help.
My photos

My Videos

post a specific question and I bet people would be more apt to help.

I'll stand by my original answer. The best course of action is to forget about video until you have the jump numbers to be safe-ish.

Just jump, and have fun, and see where you end upwhen you have a few hundered. Picking out cameras and helmets only takes a day or so. Get the jumps, get the money together, and then worry about it.

I think each person is different and who gives the advice, it's really all opinion. Why not wait 1000 jumps before filming? There's no doubt you want to be comfortable in the air and have good judgement. However, I don't think a difference of 200 jumps will allow you to handle a line malfunction on your camera any better. Plus, if you are just jumping to jump and not concerned with getting the award winning shot, then I think even waiting until 200 is a bit high.
Good camera work on the other hand, could take very many jumps.
Spoken like a true noob.;)

***So you won't answer his question until he has 200 jumps? ***

I was thinking a few hundered more than he already has.

My answer is just what I wrote - just do the jumps, and have fun. See where it takes you. If you get to the point where you're ready to shoot some video, and that's what you want to do, then bay all means, get into it.

My point is that you should just be open to all that skydiving has to offer. In the early days, you just need to spend time in the air. Trying to 'train' for something limits you from trying other things. What if one of those other things turns out to be more fun for you than video? You'd miss out if all you did was 'train' for video.

Besides, 'training' to shoot video is the same thing as shooting video, without the product. You're going to be out there lurking, watching others jump, thinking about shooting video. This is exaxtly what we're trying to avoid by having people wait to strap on a camera.

I agree with you about the jump numbers etc.
the SIM says you should have a min of 200 jump and a min af 50 jumps under the current canopy.

I tell people the same thing about filming the jump.
"I didnt strap a cam on until appro 350 jumps and I still only shot blue sky for a while. Don't be in such a rush to film because it slows your progressiong down."

But I will still talk to them about it.
I don't know if you know the OP personally but IMO there's no harm in answer a question.
My photos

My Videos

You are right.

SIMs are to be followed. There is a good reason to hold jumpers under 200 jumps back from shooting their version of this video.

I am not sure what you intended to mean.

If you mean that the OP should not do a camera jump until at least 200 jumps I agree. he has already stated that he is just looking around. HE stated something about not buying the cam for a year or so. (ii don't know hisjumping habitsso I cannot know if he'll have 200 jumps by than.)

I do remember having 5 jumps and seeing some cool stuff happenon video and asking questions.
I remember ALOT of people answering my questions and giving my safety advice along the way.

It seems as though a few people here are telling the OP that he can't ask questions until he has a certain # of jumps.

I think that is dumb! this guy is interested in video. he won't know everything there is to know until he asks. I don't see what the probelm is.

I only have 930 jumps. when can I start asking questions?
My photos

My Videos

It seems as though a few people here are telling the OP that he can't ask questions until he has a certain # of jumps.

There is lots of info available about flying a camera.
Unexperienced people is kept back for a good reason.

You may ask this question tomorrow too. ;)

I think even waiting until 200 is a bit high.

Honestly, so did I so I bought my setup when I only had 80 jumps - but I still waited to fly it.

Then when I got my jump numbers (experience level) to 200 - I had to fly my camera helmet for 25 jumps without anything on it, then 25 with just the mount attached with no camera then I was finally able to put my camera in it and all along the way I was trained and tested by my mentors.

And that was when the SIM was still in a blue cover format and camera flying was not even mentioned.

Even though I wanted to progress faster I did what the mentors I chose to listen to told me to do even though at the time it sounded ridiculous.

Now I better understand why and believe that a difference of 200 jumps may allow me to handle a line malfunction on my camera better than even just the last 200 jumps with one because I continue to train and listen to my mentors even though I have around 2700 jumps with camera equipment on my head.

To the OP, keep on track, hang in there, get your setup and learn how to use the camera on the ground listen to your mentors and be safe.

Oh yeah, have fun...

_
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

You may ask this question tomorrow too. ;)

Ok, When Can I start asking questions?:D.

as you said there are plenty of posts/info in this forum. so this guy can go reading all those old posts( I hope he does) and than what?

IMO it's the experienced people who should be ensuring he has the proper info.

By issuing bland or vague statements about jump numbers all that seems to be done is the exclusion of someone who wants to learn.

He's just asking a question. By what are we holding him back from? Experience? That seems dumb to me.

He can gain knowledge today and be prepared for his 200th jump, no?

The USPA suggests that 200 is the minumum number of (experience) that one should jump a cam.
So, what good does it do if he waits until he has 200 jumps to start asking questions?

I, myself, like to be more prepared than that. I do months, sometimes YEARS, of research before I do something new.

I believe I stated it in this thread before but for the record. I am not suggesting that he starts jumping a cam a 200 jumps, but there is nothing wrong with asking questions.
My photos

My Videos

i have been reading alot of the posts. i've gotten to some 4-5 year old posts. i'm wondering [regarding equiptment] if some of the information might be outdated [model numbers, etc.].
i appreciate the caution displayed by some people here. again, its not something i'm rushing into. if i can get some useful info here, and a bargain comes along, i can jump on it. no one's saying i'm gonna jump WITH IT, just yet.

i'm wondering [regarding equiptment] if some of the information might be outdated [model numbers, etc.].

That is the point exactly. Technology moves so quickly the camera models, etc we give you now will be outdated by the time you get more experience. If you want to shoot decent video the first thing you need to do is be able to fly tight and smooth. Setting up the equipment is the easy part. Go skydive and learn to fly the best you can.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

That guy however induced his "mal" himself and then proceded to mess things up further, and very luckily ends up saving himself by keeping working the problem.

I think a better example is Piifish's video...

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=3n6su

you're right Saskia, Chris's malfunction was not "camera gear related", his video is also a good testimonial of how things can turn ugly when you try fun stuff though.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM