velocityphoto

auto focus?

I've used it since I first started - mainly because most of the vidots said it didn't work. It works freakin' GREAT if you're equipment is aligned and centered.

Cameras are a Minolta Maxxum 7 and a Maxxum 7D and the lenses vary from a Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 20mm, Minolta 24mm, and a Minolta 50mm

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/Zee&image=Layout.jpg&img=18&tt=
The layout looks like my ol buddy Jamie Boutwell ??
Nice shots.....

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

How many people are using auto focus in freefall ? And what lense & camera are you shooting?

I'm using auto-focus on my stills, which usually works pretty well, but at odd times it doesn't, which is why I looked into the hyperfocal distance thing.

I understand the theory behind the hyperfocal distance, but I can't seem to replicate it on my camera (350D). I've used the hyperfocal distance calculator too, but to no avail. (I'm using the kit-lens btw).

Oh yeah on video I use manual focus set to infinity with a .45 lens.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Because for FS4 I know the distance I'm going to be away from the jumpers at all times, so I set manual focus for that. No need for the lens to hunt if I aim in the middle of a star, for instance. Pics are always sharp this way. Besides, I save my battery (if on autofocus the camera keeps on focussing all the time), and pictures are quicker.

For birdman, sometimes I'm in the formation sometimes above. For a biggger "V" I do use manual, for a 2 way where I am flying around my buddy or student, the distance varies from holding hands to tens of meters away, for instance during opening. Although for the opening shots, manual would be better....

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The layout looks like my ol buddy Jamie Boutwell ??
Nice shots.....

Thanks - I'm not sure who that guys is to be quite honest. I took the base shots during the Memorial Day Boogie at the Perrine last year. I like the guy with the cast - he was a complete loon. First I see him limpin' around the Holiday Inn, next, he's standing on the bridge getting ready to jump. He was a pretty cool cat.

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports