DSE

flat top vs narrow top?

Bonehead flat top vs narrow top helmets?
Any opinions on one vs the other? I likely will not ever shoot stills, but even if I did, it seems either helmet? Have a Flat Top we rent out now, more for other extremes, but want to purchase my own, trying to decide one vs the other.

You may not want the stills now but room is nice for other options like remote mic recievers, battery packs, transmitters for live feeds, etc.

That's the argument my partner in the biz says too. I hadn't looked at it that way, simply because I'll likely only be jumping one of two cams in most instances, but I can see using a transmitter feed, and the larger area would be better. I was mostly concerned about airflow, but it seems insignificant overall compared to the benefits of the greater surface area. Had an opportunity for an FTP narrow fairly cheap, so wanted to weigh the decision.

Thx for the input guys.

That and if you ever get into filming a team for Nationals its in your best interests to shoot double video to make sure a camera malfunction does'nt ruin the round for the team since they would have to take a 0 if the camera did'nt record right for any reason. My set up at Nationals last year was a PC110, a PC105 and my Canon 10D for a few rounds. The double camera thing helped when on one round the focus got bumped on one camera and was slightly blurry and probally non-judgeable. Second camera bailed me out there and got us all our points.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I had a flat top narrow, thought it was all i would need. I have been kicking myself ever since. Why i didn't spent the extra $50 and get a pro, i'll never know. I sold it and bought a pro a few weeks ago.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Bonehead flat top vs narrow top helmets?

Wes Rich custom CCM. Made to YOUR head shape (exactly), the most streamlined camera helmet available. I am in the midst of building my own using Wes' instruction CD. (will save some of my scarce funds that way, plus I like the satisfaction of building it myself)

Of course, if you do go stock, and stick with Bonehead, then I agree with everybody else - wide.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

They are awesome helmets and as functional as they are good looking. The quick release plates are a great idea.

I am documenting my helmet construction with timelapse video. I'll post something to skydivingmovies when I'm done. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It is not rocket science but you do need to be able to work with your hands and take the TIME to do it (the main reason I still probably have 6-8 weeks left on mine).

Also, keep in mind I'm not done yet, so it may not be as easy as I think. :D

But, there are 3 basic steps. I am almost finished with the 2nd. The 3rd will be the most time consuming as it is the actual helmet. The steps below are a VERY rough overview, you'd need Wes' instructions (or a lot of previous experience) to do it with only this crude outline.

Step 1: Plaster wrap of the head (negative cast). This step requires a friend, who wraps your entire head in plaster (you breathe through small nose-holes). You wait for the plaster to dry (I waited 90 minutes - overkill) and then your friend saws off the cast with a HACKSAW. B| I have very cool video of the plaster wrap process.

Step 2: Foam mold (positive) of the head. Two-part expanding liquid marine foam is used to fill the plaster cast and create a positive mold of your head.

Step 3: Fiberglass layup. Use the foam mold to wrap fiberglass cloth around and make the helmet.

Again, this process has been overly simplified and I'm not even on step 3 yet. The first 2 steps take more time than you'd think since you need to seal the cast with resin, sand it smooth, and wax the resin for mold release. The mold also needs to be sealed, voids filled with Bondo, and also waxed for helmet shell release.

I had never worked with resin, plaster, foam, or any of these things before, but Wes' instructions are great and I'm learning fast and am pretty confident my end product will work as expected. I've seen enough of his products to know it's worth the effort (all the pros in FL fly his helmets). I've spent nearly $400 so far and haven't even bought the fiberglass cloth yet, but I think I might finish for under $600 total in materials and tools. Wes charges around $1300 base price (I THINK), so I'm not really even saving all that much but I will customize a few things on this to my own ideas, and I will enjoy being able to say I made it myself.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

After over 1200 jumps with either a Bonehead Batrack or my Rawa, I finally made the decision to get the ultimate helmet. Wes makes some sweet helmets. Here are a few pics from my CCM Fitting a couple weeks ago...

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Flat top Pro.

I have heard several vidiots say they wish they had the pro in hindsight.

There is not really all that much cost savings.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I wasn't looking at it as a cost thing, but as a riser strike precaution question. The rental unit we have is one of the older helmets, and it has nearly disappeared on two occasions because it's not one of the newer models with the deflection on it. So, even tho both models have the same protection, I wondered if I'd be safer with narrow.
However, it's pretty clear that the Pro is still the better choice, just because of how wide it is at the top. More importantly, I like Phreezone's points, as they make great sense to me.

The lathering up with KY and wrapping took a good 15 to 20 mins, then the drying before he started hacking away took about 40 to 45 mins sitting in the sun at around 6 pm. Those 45 mins in the darkness seemed like forever...I should've definitely brought along an iPod! I don't recommend this procedure if you're clausterphobic in any way :S.

But as you can see, Wes has you wear a SCUBA Hood...so if he cuts a bit too deep, he's not slicing and dicing your noggin.B|

Here are some more pics of the process.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!