masher

Racers and Riggers

Why do riggers seem to dislike Racers?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of buying one (buts thats another thread...)

I haven't seen one being repacked, but I've been told how fiddly they are...

Just wondering...

Matthew
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

mind you I am not a rigger but I do own a racer. Alot of riggers will balk about repacking a racer because it requires a little more effort to repack the reserve.
I notice that you are considering buying a racer contairer for your first set up. there are people out there that will discourage you from buying a racer container because the are considered not to be freefly friendly i.e. lack of riser protection and lots of velcro.

I am very happy with my racer, its been a great first rig and I would consider buying another one. However I did send mine back to jump shack and have whats called ghee flaps installed for better riser protection. Racers a good solid rigs, buy it fly it and enjoy it

peace on you!

Racers are different. Closing the reserve w/ a cypres requires more technique and rigging line work, but is not actually harder to pack. I think it requires less physical force to close a racer, other containers require the rigger to maintain compression on the PC while they close each flap.

Although if you've never packed one and become frustrated easily, a racer could prove very challenging. ;)

edit: just tell your rigger he doesn't have to waste time figuring out the correct closing loop length and there are fewer flaps to close...

Ken

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

it's actually not hard to pack a reserve for racers. it's harder to close the container. because there are two pins. it's hard to explain why is it harder. go see a rigger how he packs a normal one pin container and then an old racer - two pin container, and you'll understand why they are pain in the ass for riggers. :D

"George just lucky i guess!"

Many riggers seem to have problems with them and often do an AWFUL job when closing the container. The poptop should lie flat on the container. An easy test is to pass a line over the poptop. It should not get caught.

I've had a racer for about 2 years and I'm very happy with it.

Once you find a good rigger for your racer, make sure you keep him/her happy. Beer seems to do the trick ;).

~Chivo

I don't, I like Racers and can repack a reserve as fast as any other rig. I guess it is a matter of proper training. It gets me that some riggers charge more to pack a rig that they don't know the proper way to pack!

it's actually not hard to pack a reserve for racers. it's harder to close the container. because there are two pins.

whoops. My bad. I did mean close, not pack.

Considering I went off at a bunch of chemists on one of their assignments about proper terminology, I should follow my lead! :$
--

OK.. it's not harder to CLOSE the darn reserve container either. Changing the reserve closing loop is more of a task than it should be.

Whether I like the design or not, it's not a difficult rig to pack the reserve on.

The Racer would not be my first choice of rigs but there are those out there that swear by them.

Good luck on your quest for a rig.
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Okeday. I think we've established that reserve repacks/closing shouldn't/isn't a problem.

A follow up question.

What about the velcro on the rig?

The riser covers are held shut by velcro down the side of the reserve pack tray, and the covers up by the 3rings are held shut by velcro too. The toggles are velcro too...

Is this a problem? or is it a matter of maintainance?
--

My rigger doesn't exactly like em but he'll pack it :P Although it costs me $80 as apposed to $50 for a repack but ahh well.. such is life. Racer is my first rig as well.. Bought it about 2 months ago. There's a fair bit of 'that damn velcro' but as long as you get it changed there's nothing wrong with them B|

Although it costs me $80 as apposed to $50 for a repack but ahh well..

WOW, thats more than even the factory charges:S I charge $50. The same as any other rig. I would look around for another rigger or ask the one you have to contact the factory to learn how they pack. They will teach you for free.

Although it costs me $80 as apposed to $50 for a repack but ahh well..

WOW, thats more than even the factory charges:S I charge $50. The same as any other rig. I would look around for another rigger or ask the one you have to contact the factory to learn how they pack. They will teach you for free.

$80 Australian that is... and since it was a new to me rig and I cleaned the container it may have included inspection and assembly.. i'll ask around though..

So the toggles aren't really a problem. Just a case of new risers and toggles. I'm not too concerned about that.

I was more looking at the riser cover velcro. But that said, it probably depends on how I'm going to use it. Headdown vs flatfly. Which at this stage is probably going to be more flatfly.
--

It depends on who you ask. JumpShack says Velcro is the shit... Me... I'll pass on that one...

Are you looking at a new or used Racer? There are no new racers in my Area. I would like to see one so I can make an informed comment on the new.

Hypothetically speaking, If the velcro side covers peel open the whole riser is exposed. the Toggle could come free and viola, nasty mal funtion in the form of a spinner or bag lock... hypothetically speaking of course. :S .. uh yeah, hypothetically.

Beware of the type 17 risers as they tend not to have type 3 reinforcement in them. (perhaps the new ones do??? )

A wise man named Bill Booth knows lots about risers, you can find his writings here in the forums regarding them.

I haven't heard much about racers lately as they are no longer popular around here. Only a handful of them here and there.

Racer owners swear by them. That's not to say the stand near them and cuss up a storm... they actually like their rigs ;)

My 2 pennies worth.

C-ya

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Are you looking at a new or used Racer? There are no new racers in my Area. I would like to see one so I can make an informed comment on the new.

Beware of the type 17 risers as they tend not to have type 3 reinforcement in them. (perhaps the new ones do??? )

It's a used Racer.

I'll check the risers when I get home...
--

the newer racers have a great tuck pocket that aids riser cover. The vecro acts as a "guide" to keep the cover in place (not well explained, they have a great visual on their web site I believe).
I'm glad to see that many other riggers are not falling into that "Charge more for a racer" crap. The only time they should cost more is if you have to change the quick loop, which is not often and a valid part of the maintenance of a quality rig.
Racers are comfortable - very comfortable to wear - and once you know how to pack them, no harder than any other rig. The reserve deploys incredibly quickly too (that'a a bonus).
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

[
edit: just tell your rigger there are fewer flaps to close...

Ken

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last time I counted, I had to route a Racer reserve closing loop through 12 grommets and two Cypres cutters to close the rig. Compare this with 6 grommets on a Javelin, or 9 (plus cutter) on a Vector.
The main reason I hate Racers is that it took me ten years to get any good at packing them. Along the way I wasted a lot of money on metal tools that are not Cypres compatible and had to invent my own tool.
I don't charge extra for packing Racers, I just thank God that most of them have disappeared from British Columbia.

Okeday. I think we've established that reserve repacks/closing shouldn't/isn't a problem.

A follow up question.

What about the velcro on the rig?

The riser covers are held shut by velcro down the side of the reserve pack tray, and the covers up by the 3rings are held shut by velcro too. The toggles are velcro too...

Is this a problem? or is it a matter of maintainance?

I've had my Racer about a year now. It's an OLD Racer too. God awful amount of velcro on it. Seems like most people I talk to say the velcro is bad. My take on it is if you keep the velcro in good condition, that means when it starts to lose its stickyness, replace it, immediately, it's probably as good as the tuck tabs. Seems like people start having problems with worn out velcro.

My personal opinion on all the velcro, I hate it. But I hate it due to all the extra hassle when packing. Especially the velcro down the sides of the reserve tray. It takes a bit of time and effort to keep your risers from moving around and mate that velcro properly. On my Racer, the velcro on the sides of the reserve tray really do not line up quite right, so I really have to play with it to make sure the velcro is as secure as it can be. If I had the money I'd have Jumpshack install the tuck tabs for the convience factor, not the safety factor. The velcro riser covers, same thing, they should be ok as long as they are in good shape. I know a guy who freeflies his Racer with the velcro riser covers and has never had any problem. However, it is a newer Racer.

My rigger didn't complain when he repacked my reserve either. As I recall, he said it is a bit more work, but no harder than other containers.

I've heard the same thing. I've had 2 Racers and never have gotten any grief from rigges who've packed it, and here in Southern California Racers are few and far between.

Edited to add: I love my Racer and freefly in it all the time.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Racers are different. Closing the reserve w/ a cypres requires more technique and rigging line work, but is not actually harder to pack

Although if you've never packed one and become frustrated easily, a racer could prove very challenging

More technique and more work = more difficult.

Any rig is easy if you know all the tricks, etc. Racers are harder to pack than other rigs. If I had to teach someone to pack a Javelin and a Racer, they would learn how to do a good job on the Javelin sooner, because it is easier.

Hook