Dokeman

Top Mount Video need small mount

I am trying to top mount my video on my batrack and need a small quick release. Its a bottom loading TRV. I dont want to use a box so that I can have access to all the camera functions if i need to. Does someone make such a thing? I want to ealily be able to get the tape out after i land.

Its a bottom loading TRV.
...I want to ealily be able to get the tape out after i land.

Stratostar did you "even try" to read the post? All those methods you mentioned would attach via the thumbscrew in the bottom, blocking removal of a bottom-loaded tape. Got any other bright ideas?

Dokeman, I wish I had a suggestion for you, but I don't know of anything.

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

There is a guy named Jeff DeMaagd, he has a wide variety of stand-off products for bottom load cams for quick release, etc.
http://dm-accessories.com
Maybe he's got something. i use his products on my A1u rental cams. If he doesn't have what you need, he likely can mill it pretty quickly. he's a great guy, always interested in ideas.

thumbscrew in the bottom, blocking removal of a bottom-loaded tape.

Oh really, for all of two seconds.
Yea with a bottom loader that is why we use the QR
then you take the thumb screw off and take the tape out.
It is fast and easy to do.
And fast and easy to reattach it and keep the camera lined up too.

Got any other bright ideas?

This is one reason why people with bottom loaders use a QR.
Sure as hell isn't as big of a deal as you make it out to be.
But I'm sure with all your time in the sport you already know it all and have seen it all,
so smart guy just how long you have you been flying a camera anyway?

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Hi Dokeman,

This may help you out or maybe not.

Unless you hang your camera off the side of your topmount, I can't see any othe way of removing the tape with the camera still attached to the helmet.

But then again I could be wrong

Cheers
Cookie

Here's what you do - Mount the camera without a QR. Cut a hole in the top plate that will allow the tape door open (I'm guessing that the mounting surface where the tripod screw goes is not part fo the tape door). Cut a similar hole in the top of the helemt, and remove your tapes from inside the helemt.

OR

Get a D-box, and cut whatever hoels you need to access the various functions you expect to use. You shoul dbe able to get by with zoom, focus, and maybe if there's an effects button.

Are you doing tandem vids? If so, alot of guys will just pull the cam out of the box to shoot inside the plane, so they don;t have aproblem. In truth it will be easier to get more and better shots without a Batrack hanging off the bottom of your camera.

Most of our cameras have two holes in the bottom, one is a guide and the other is the threaded one for the average mount. just use them BOTH as guide holes (no screw) and strap that puppy down to the old Bat-Rack.

Open the strap, grab camera, open bottom, remove tape, replace tape, return to Bat-Crap, close strap.

Jump and repeat :)
My 2 cents (worth every cent, I might add)

Stay safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I have had cameras on top that only had straps. But compared to what is out there these days, it is not super secure. You could also use some Super Velcro in conjunction with the two guide pins and strap.

It was just an Idea, I am always dreaming up stuff that never gets used :S

I also consider everything I put on my head/helmet as replaceable, compared to my life.

Stay safe and have fun,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

The closest thing to a quickrelease that doesn't obstruct the bottom of a video camera is a Bonehead DBox.

Yes, it still obstructs the camera, but it quickly opens to allow you to remove the camera, without having to undo any screws. It's the fastest way that I've seen to get a tape out of a bottom loading camera.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

This is the best!! As you can see the quick release plate, more like tab (not the base unit) is so small, it doesnt cover up the door for the tape.
I have one for HC-85 (bottom loading). the thick ness is about that of stroboframe. it holds the camera tight. i mean tight.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=288483&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

clicky - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=288483&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

The plate that mounts to the camera certainly looks like it fits the bill, but what is the deal with the base plate it locks into? Doesn't look very compatible with camera mounting onto helmets for freefall...can you post a picture of how yours is setup?
Miami

Sorry. Let me expand on that. The black thing you see in the picture turns and tightens the camera towards the base, by pulling the step (ledge) you see on the "power release plate." Because you have to turn it till tight, it's not so "quick" like you put the quick release plate onto the base plate of, let's say Stroboframe, and let the spring on the base plate take care the rest. But this thing holds the camera tight, i mean tight enough so you dont need anti-twist means. it is very well made, probably by machine (German made). I use it for the still, not for the video anymore. I like the video directly contacting the top plate. I use it on the "extended" top plate of FTP (meaning still mounted on the same plate as the video but mounted upside down on the reverse side of the plate on my forehead), because i didnt like having the L bracket if i am not doing stills, a lot more low profile that way.

it is 3/4" high (same as stroboframe) and 1 and 3/4" in diameter. 3/4" is great on FTP because it lowers the still camera towards your face (Note: still is inverted so lens actually get closer to the view of wide angle lens of the video) and the edge of the still lens won't be in the view of video camera.
Of course you do have to carve the top plate a little to have access for turning the base.

Thanks again for the reply...3/4" seems pretty tall! I haven't had a strobo for a while so can't remember how high they were, but I know Schumacher's Quick Shoe is only 3/8" tall. That was going to be my next question...how easy it is to access the base to release the top plate. Even with the height it seems a feasible option for someone who must access their tape after every jump and does not want to use a dbox.
Miami

Yeah, 3/4" is very high. especially when the base plate is that small. but because it's 3/4" high, you have easier access with your thumb and index finger to rotate the black ring you see to fasten and release the video camera. the release plate, "power release plate," stays tight as well, since it's a bare metal, i thought it would be susceptible to getting losen and rotate, so i tried to put a thin rubber piece to increase the frinction between the plate and video camera, but i found that to be unnecessary. never got lose. perhaps if you go headdown dive and have the video on top mount...
i would only recommend this to people who has a bottom loading video camera and if they have to get to the tape all the time, like video people.