ScottyInAus

Apple Editing Glitches??

I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems editing with Apple's.

I've seen a few vids edited on apples and I've noticed.
On Slo-Mo there appear to be horizontal lines.
One movie is over an hour long and at times, later in the movie, the video slows down and will skip/delay (not scratch-skip), happens on different DVD's and Players.
Could this be a problem with the Computer itself during rendering? Or a software glitch?

I am interested in getting an Apple because they seem to have a nice interface and return a good video except for the problems I have noted.
Any info appreciated.
Cheers Guys
Jason

Cheers,
Jason.

Apple's a computer. Widely used in video editing, and not generically prone to the kinds of problems you report.

What editing software was used? iMovie is free, but limited. Final Cut and Avid are more professional (and more expensive). (And Premiere, which I don't know at all.)

Hardware (CPU and memory) also are important factors.

Don't dismiss Apple for video app. Just tell us more about the particular computer which produced the stuff you saw.

HW

OK, It's a 1.6GHz G4 Powerbook, probably standard memory 512mb. Just running IMovie from what I can gather.

I wasn't dismissing it, I just want to know exactly what I'd be in for in buying one :)
I've also heard they've had some problems with white/grey(?) lines in vids with the new Intel Core's, on the Macbook Pro's, any truth to that anyone?

Cheers again,
Jason

Cheers,
Jason.

On Slo-Mo there appear to be horizontal lines.

This is verry editing-app specific..
Some programs deinterlace footage, and turn 30/25 fps (2 field) video into 50/60 fps video.
Others dont deinterlace, and do a horrible cross-fade effect.
But in general, it should work okay.

And another option (as people always look for hardware/software problems) but sometimes its just the people that screw up..no matter how good the software or hardware :P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Apple makes fine products and although I can't speak for the macBook/Intel bit, have to say that there are a thousand reasons why that could have happened. The machine you mentioned does sound a bit deficient in the RAM sector, although you have to consider the biggest producers of this type of 'glitch' is the original format the footy was shot in, the method/equipment/settings it was captured in, and the same for its encoding.

Bad 24p and/or PAL conversions to a 29.97 editing timebase will sometimes produce results like you are talking about also.

you won't be sorry, IMHO
pope

I've also heard they've had some problems with white/grey(?) lines in vids with the new Intel Core's, on the Macbook Pro's, any truth to that anyone?

I've only done a couple of video's on my MacBook Pro and so far no problems at all. Footage is firewired in and edited with iMovie (until FCP goes universal)...machine is dual 2ghz, 1g ram, and 256 video memory.
Miami

iMovie starts doing funny things when the video goes beyond 60 minutes...

I get glitches on my videos when they go over 4 minutes. OK, I use a lot of short clips, and a few transitions. But things run smoothly when played on the computer (1.66 Ghz powerbook g4) It's only after I have sharet my movie to both video camera and through IDVD that I experience glitches (and alas, NO. in different places every time, but normally towards the end)

It's never too late for a low turn!

I've had uneven video with iMovie when I load up my HD too much. I dump some unneeded files to free up some space and it always takes care of it. I hate throwing stuff away, so I need to remember to burn files to a CD first so I have to needed area for a new project! :P That, or get an extra HD... ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

iMovie starts doing funny things when the video goes beyond 60 minutes...

I get glitches on my videos when they go over 4 minutes. OK, I use a lot of short clips, and a few transitions. But things run smoothly when played on the computer (1.66 Ghz powerbook g4) It's only after I have sharet my movie to both video camera and through IDVD that I experience glitches (and alas, NO. in different places every time, but normally towards the end)

Try exporting from iMovie to a Quicktime DV file which you can just drop into iDVD.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Well I went out and bought a MacBook Pro.
Not dissapointed at all, beautiful machine great to work on, IMovie is very bottom end so looking at getting FCS, only thing I don't like so far; I haven't been able (either figure out or do) is to play music from an external HD on ITunes it seems to need to copy the songs to the Internal HD :( any way around this or do I need to get something like Winamp to play my phat beats?

Cheers Guys

Cheers,
Jason.

In addition to looking at Final Cut, take a look at Avid. It will run fine on your Mac as long as you have at least 1 gb of memory -- more is better.

You can get Avid FreeDV for -- yes -- free and get a feel for how it works and for the user interface, which is somewhat different from that of FCX/FCP.

And if you happen also to have a PC, the same Avid product will run on it, as well.

HW

Well I went out and bought a MacBook Pro.
Not dissapointed at all, beautiful machine great to work on, IMovie is very bottom end so looking at getting FCS, only thing I don't like so far; I haven't been able (either figure out or do) is to play music from an external HD on ITunes it seems to need to copy the songs to the Internal HD :( any way around this or do I need to get something like Winamp to play my phat beats?

Cheers Guys

Somewhere in iTunes Preferences there is a checkbox that causes your library to be consolidated....and iTunes copies everything into your Music folder.

Here's what I suggest is worth a try...make sure the box is unchecked. Drag a couple of music files from your external hard drive into the iTunes library window. It should add the tunes to your library without copying them over...unless it does this automatically on an external HD.

Let me know how it works.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Got it, Cheers Guys B|
Anyone know if there is a way to display the actually filename of the song.
On my PC I had them all like so.
Hilltop Hoods - The Calling - 06 - Tomorrow Will Do.mp3
so none of the ID3 tags are filled out, any way to get this to show up on Itunes?
Haven't been able to find anything :S :o

Few minor glitches, but I love this thing :)

Cheers,
Jason.

Got it, Cheers Guys B|
Anyone know if there is a way to display the actually filename of the song.
On my PC I had them all like so.
Hilltop Hoods - The Calling - 06 - Tomorrow Will Do.mp3
so none of the ID3 tags are filled out, any way to get this to show up on Itunes?
Haven't been able to find anything :S :o

Few minor glitches, but I love this thing :)

If you click on the song in iTunes and then press Command-I a window will open with 4 tabs...the Summary tab will have all kinds of info including the file name and path. You can also edit all kinds of info...don't know if this will be exactly what you want though.

I looked at the columns that you can view and the file name isn't one of them...right click while you have the cursor above one of the column headings to see the options available.
--
Murray

Yer not quite what I wanted, cheers anyway.
Downloaded Audion 3, exactly what I needed B|

Edit to add:
I've been playing around with my MacBook and found that the horizontal lines in slo-mo and in crossfade transitions is the rendering.
If you render the movie on IDVD it's shit (basically) :o but if you render it through IMovie as a DV (Pal in my case - (AVI) movie then import to IDVD and burn, it's beautiful.
Takes an extra 20mins but looks a hell of a lot better.

All happy now ;)B|

Cheers,
Jason.

it's funny to switch to a mac and then not use the software that mac makes... :-) iTunes is intertwined with imovie, front row, idvd, etc, etc, etc.

Very true. I've been thinking about Jason wanting to know the file name of his tunes and it reminds me of when iPhoto first came out. I was one of many people that were upset that it didn't offer any easy way to change file names ,etc. It took me a while to realize that what iPhoto offered was far superior and also offered freedom from trying to come up with meaningful file names. Using the albums allowed me to put the same photo in several groups whereas doing this on the file level only allows a file to be in one place.

Once I realized that this represented a new way of thinking I gave up editing file names...and I can easily find a photo either using the albums or just scrolling throught the thousands of thumbnails in iPhoto.

I think that iTunes allows you the same freedom. I don't think about files at all anymore. If I want to burn copies of files I set my burn preferences to data disc, create an album and drag the songs I want to backup/copy into it, burn and I'm done.

Anyway, I'm grateful to Apple for iPhoto and iTunes...they make my life far easier when it comes to organizing and enjoying my photos and music.
--
Murray

You can never keep all the people happy all of the time.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The reason i wanted the filenames viewable is because most of the ID3 Tags are either empty or have hardly any info in them.
I'd rather find a program that gives me that than change the ID3 Tags on over 7,000 songs ;);)
IPhoto seems nice though.

Cheers,
Jason.

I just finished a 2 hour (not all one movie) project with FCE on my PB 1.5ghz. If you are going to be doing any editing on yours the best investment you can make is memory.

I got 2 gigs from Other World Computing and its awesome. I can render in FCE and run tons of other programs.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome