kansasskydiver

HDR-HC1 or PC330 or PC1000

If money were not an issue would would be better for skydiving?

HDR-HC1 (benefits with the trv style on a flat top, don't have to use cradle)
PC330 (awesome picture quality that I just haven't seen anywhere else, though I haven't seen the hc1 yet, though have to use the cradle, so no quick release or keeping it on my helmet
PC1000 (great quality but 3CCD flicker problem and cradle issue)

Those are my choices, or the 350 but I like the 330 better, which one makes more sense for quality and functionality whise?
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

PC1000 (great quality but 3CCD flicker problem and cradle issue)

I had 6 pc1000's that were shared by about 15 instructors for pov aff video...none of them ever had any of the 3 chip problems associated with the trv-900 and 950. Did you see a pc-1000 that had a floating iris problem?

If money were not an issue I would say go with the HD video...it is where the technology is going and I'm kinda partial to top mounts for getting professional quality video (settle down folks, I'm not saying you can't get it with side mounted video, just that I'm partial to top mounted).

edit for omitted word
Miami

made me decide right away not to go for the 1000, I need the extra battery life.

It's really not that bad. The pc-1000 is actually a very nice camera, if I did like the vertical format cameras it would be the one I went with. The shorter battery life is barely noticeable, we were able to get by just fine with our 6 pc-1000's with just one spare batt a piece.
Miami

hmmmm

I'm currently jumping a pc100 that someone dropped at the dz and now I can't use the screen or viewfinder. It still recrods, but no idea if it's zoomed, what mode etc etc etc. Ther vertical position of the camera isn't an issue as then i could use it on my freefly camera as well.

No I have never seen the floating iris problem, just read about it, so I have no valid point. I'll be shooting 95% tandem videos with whatever new camera I get, I like the idea of the HD, but I for one don't have an HDTV so it won't really matter to me other than anything right now it going to be better than my pc100.

How did you guys deal with the whole cradle issue? wasn't that a pain in the ass?

How did you guys deal with the whole cradle issue? wasn't that a pain in the ass?

We actually didn't use the cradles as much...we were just using the cameras for shooting aff and coach jumps from the instructors pov, then using them as debrief tools, so not using them to play the tapes for download and editing via firewire, just plugging the usb cables from camera to tv.

I could see it being a little bit of a pita for firewire, but not so bad that it would hurt your workflow for editing tandem videos.
Miami

floating iris problem. It's a pain in the ass, in my opinion, don't buy one!!
I got one as well as a 350. Love the colours on the PC1000 but every time on opening the thing zooms in and out>:(.
Does it on every jump, outside camera and handycam.
It doesn't matter what setting it is on, auto focus on, manual focus, steady shot on, steady shot off. If anybody knows how to fix this please let me know!
Regrets are just unfulfilled dreams

PC330 (awesome picture quality that I just haven't seen anywhere else

Dude, the HC90 is the "followup" tp the PC330/350 in Sony's lineup. It has excellent picture quality and color and does very well in low light. Check out my Puerto Rico video (link in my sig) for an idea what the footage looks like (this is compressed obviously... but even on a DVD I cannot tell the difference from HC1 footage - I've compared them side by side for same jumps).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

i JUST bought a PC1000 a week ago, and have done about 15-20 jumps with it so far. I have absolutley NO problems wiht it whatsoever, and the picture quality is second to none..well..besides HD, but we all know that. A lot of people had asked me what camera I had after seeing the video on the DVD's weve rendered. Its remarkable quality..with easy to use features, and overall every person Ive talked wiht all give props to this camera. B&H photo for $850. Do it!

Ok let me ask the question again as I have a bit more information.

If you had the choice of buying the:

HC90
HDR-HC1
PC1000

All for the same price,which one would you get? I'd like to purchase one of the 3 tomorrow and have a great deal on them all... There is very little difference in price, and I'm really leaning towards the hc1 for the hdv and that fact that ALL my old pc100 stuff can be used on the hc1 (extra HUGE battery, charger, remote etc)

Does the HC1 compare to the pc1000? I saw video of the pc1000 today, it's really really nice. If the hc1 compares to that, I'm golden

I can't wait, need a camera by the weekend. Someone dropped my pc100 at the dz last time we jumped and of course never told me. It's totally busted and I have tandem videos this weekend (assuming I can jump even, got hurt pretty bad today)

Also I'm leaving for a week skydiving trip in 10 days and can't leave home without a camera!

Really you would be happy with any of them as they are all very nice cameras. I would say go with the HC1 as it already fits all the accesories you have, as long as you have a good platform to mount it on. What price did you find it for and where?
Miami

Has anyone tried or heard of anyone using Canon's Optura 600? Check it out. I need a handy cam camera. Has been compared in other forums to have similar picture quality to pc 1000. It has one 1 3/4" chip vs 3 1/6" chips. I prefer and have always used Sony as well but our choices are limited if you want a vertical camera and looking for other pc1000 options

there are hc90's avilable for just over $500, refurbished, but you can get an additional 2 year warranty for $60.

I have a flat top I'll be mounting it on, so it'll fit just right. I'm going to custom make a box for it too.

Now I just have to upgrade my digital rebel to a 20D hehe

floating iris problem. It's a pain in the ass, in my opinion, don't buy one!!
I got one as well as a 350. Love the colours on the PC1000 but every time on opening the thing zooms in and out>:(.
Does it on every jump, outside camera and handycam.
It doesn't matter what setting it is on, auto focus on, manual focus, steady shot on, steady shot off. If anybody knows how to fix this please let me know!

That is not the floating iris problem, like the trv900 and trv950 had. The floating iris problem causes a jittery image and happens during all of the freefall.

If you mean the focus (instead of the zoom) goes all the way out and back in during opening I've seen that happen to many cameras (my pc110 and trv17 both did it on occasion), usually on firmer openings. As far as I know there is no way to keep it from doing that.
Miami

there are hc90's avilable for just over $500, refurbished, but you can get an additional 2 year warranty for $60.

I have a flat top I'll be mounting it on, so it'll fit just right. I'm going to custom make a box for it too.

Now I just have to upgrade my digital rebel to a 20D hehe

Dont get rid of that rebel sir.. :P

If you're just going to use the camera for skydiving, I think you should take a serious look at the XT too.. very nice camera, it's lighter than the 20D and it saves you a couple of bucks.

Don't get me wrong, if my 20D breaks today.. I am buying another 20D, but I use my camera almost as much on the ground as I do in the sky.. and on the ground the 20D beats the XT any day.. (nicer body to hold on to.. )

there are hc90's avilable for just over $500

You can get one brand new, shipped for about $640 (search pricegrabber.com for reliable online retailers).

The PC1000 is $800, the HC1 is $1340 (this in response to a post earlier where you said there wasn't a large price diff between the 3).

It fits fairly well in one of the TRV boxes from Bonehead (they say which one on their site, I think it's the "19/22/23" box IIRC). Not a perfect fit and I had to trim down part of the sleeve sticking out the front around the lens, and I added some shims inside, but the box definitely works.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Dont get rid of that rebel sir.. :P

Wanna buy it back from me :P

I like the 20D for the FPS, the xt rebel is the same as the 10D, I can get a 10D for $500 but am trying to find a 20D for 850 or so, missed one on fred miranda's a while back by a couple hours...