Dokeman

Digital Rebel Wide Lens

Does anybody else use filters? If so, what is a good lens like the sigma 15mm that will give the option for using filters?

I can't answer for everyone but I know there are a lot of people that do use filters. I haven't jumped it yet but I have Circular Polarizer for my 17mm Tokina Lens. But you don't absolutely have to use them (Taking a class or reading a good book on photography is a good place to learn how/when filters can be used.)

Y'all might try to look at some of the stuff
here (they have a few free podcasts which I haven't explored yet.) but it looks like a pretty good website in general. They also have some Courses that you can take for money where established photographers will give pointers and such.

And just to make sure, the sigma 15mm will fit the Canon rebel XT right?

As long as you get one of these... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=407592&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation it should work with the Rebel XT just fine...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

the 15mm sigma that is designed for the canon will fit the canon... the one designed for the nikon will not fit the canon. the front of the lens is not flat, so you cannot use any filters with it.

Does anybody else use filters? If so, what is a good lens like the sigma 15mm that will give the option for using filters?

And just to make sure, the sigma 15mm will fit the Canon rebel XT right?

Unfortunately growing up I was not exposed to anyone who knew much of anything about photography. At my home DZ there isn't really anybody anymore who has a strong knowledgable base in photography (we've got one guy pretty much who does stills). I saw and liked the idea of taking a local course on photography from a community college, however, I'm here in Connecticut active duty in Groton in the Navy stationed on a submarine. We go out on patrol a lot and are out to sea sometimes for months at a time with not much notice ahead of time. As much as I would like to take a communtiy college class, it's not in my cards right now. I respect your opinion about getting photography experiance before jumping it, however, I am extremely limited for resources. This is why I ask you guys on DZ.com about what kind of wide angle lens to start out with and why. It seems as though the only way possible for me is to figure it out for myself with any help you guys can give me along the way. I'm just trying to avoid making a dumb mistake and spend needed money on a lens I shouldn't have bought. Any advice you can give from your experiance would be appreciated. Thanks!:)
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

A polfilter is really only good if you know what you're doing. You need to set it at just the right angle for the sky at that moment and then FLY at just the right angle too for it to work. You'll be busy enough figuring out basic photography without adding extra's like that so I wouldn't let that stop you from buying a good lens.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

canon 15mm fisheye accomodates up to 3 gel, resin filters (1.5mm or less). so I am sure sigma 15mm dose, too. but only gel filter useful for us is probably neutarl density. so i would not worry about filters too much. i have taken great shots with my friend's sigma 15mm without filters. i recommend studying photography before thinking about filters. other than for protection means.

i was talking to some of the other camera guys at my dz, and they are telling me from experence that 15mm isnt wde enough.. They are telling me that I need something wider, like 10mm. This is about 90% for tandems and I fly pretty close. Can someone post some pictures using a 15mm lens and something wider?

15mm (35mm equivalent = 24mm) should be PRENTY wide. unless you are like Borkky (user name) and can use 15mm on a full frame camera. Even if you can be a good tripod in the air, do you jump with good enough freeflyer to be close enough to utilize anything wider than 24mm??? 24mm is prenty good for tamdems also.
if you are using fisheye 0.3 on a video, maybe, you need 20mm. i dont know. i dont use diamond 0.3. you might wanna ask someone else for that.
but i think everyone else will agree on 24mm being way enough for usual skydiving.

For my video lens, I put one of those cheapo UV filters on it (by recommendations) to protect the expensive lens from getting scratched. If the sigma 15mm does not allow for filters to be on it, one should one do, if anything, to protect it? How much difference is there between brands of fisheye 15mm anyway? Is it really worth paying a bit more?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

For my video lens, I put one of those cheapo UV filters on it (by recommendations) to protect the expensive lens from getting scratched. If the sigma 15mm does not allow for filters to be on it, one should one do, if anything, to protect it? How much difference is there between brands of fisheye 15mm anyway? Is it really worth paying a bit more?

Seriously.. the only thing you can do at that point is protect it as good as possible..
I see a lot of people being quite reckless with their helmet in the plane, bumping into others, or having others bump into them.. that is one thing you can not afford with an unprotected lens..

It's one reason you see me all frantic trying to protect the lenses on my cameras..

I have to say.. I have one crash with my 15mm, where I full on face planted it in the dirt in Arizona.. and there's not a scratch on it.. it's a very well built lens, with amazing glass.
I have close to 1000 jumps on mine and it's still holding up great..

Iwan

yeah, that's the down side of 14mm and 15mm. you cant put a protective filter. you have to be really careful, that's all you can do.
Canon is better. only 100 bucks more.
someone on dz.com once said it fogs, but any lens will fog. sigma is made of metal housing so it will fog more. i have used it and it fogs if you bring it form A/C environment to outside. if you live on east cost with humidity, you cant really fight that unless you leave the lens outside for a while before jumping.
you can go to a lot of photography sites (like DZ.com. for us, there are bunch of photo sites out there) fred miranda.com is okay. they have a lot of cheap used ones. buy one there and sell it on ebay where not many people do research. (I bought 550 doller lens for 300 and used it had fun with it last year, but it was too wide and i sold it on ebay for $366.)
I recommend photodo.com. if you want technical stuff. MTF is a good way of comparing lens performance (same type of lens though). dont compare the ones from the manufactures. anyway check these sites out.
i made bunch of mistakes buying stuff i dont need like filters and lenses that didnt really work for my skydiving needs. a little research will save you a lot of grief. i have lots of stuff i dont need.. sucks.