YISkyDive

300D questions / problems..

I just got my 300D that I intend to use for jumping. The camera itself takes great pictures and is very useful- but my big problem is that i have a horrible transfer rate to my laptop

If i am going to use if for the TandemVideos I do- i need to obviously move photos from the camera to the PC. Unfortunetly right now it takes over 50minutes to load a 512MB CompactFlash(I) card through USB through the camera.

I cant figure out right now what the problem is. My laptop is a 1.3CelMobile(one of the new processors.. bought 6months ago. )

512MB
USB2.0

anyone have any ideas?

Thanks-

Dave

get a usb 2.0 card reader.

A USB card reader is MILES faster than reading directly from the camera, for sure. Next step up in speed is to use a firewire card reader.

If -that- is still too slow, have more than one card with you. Have one downloading while you're up in the air with the 2nd one.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Best Buy has PCMCIA card readers for about $12. When I bought mine it was actually cheaper than any of the USB readers that they had, and just as fast.

Some of us don't have PCMCIA card slots on your machines. :P;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Let me throw my .02 cents worth too! Think about some kind of external CD/DVD burner that will burn a disc directly from your CF card. There are several out there, the advantage to me is then you have an immediate safe archive of your digital photos.

Personally I've experienced too many hard drive failures to trust them. At some point your going to have to do it anyway. If your going to do tandems and offer CD's before the customer leaves it's going to b e much faster than transferring the images to your computer, then burning a CD.

That item is on my "buy" list prior to our season starting her in the frigid north!

how much is one of these cats?

do you know what its called, so i can search for it?

Thanks!

Dave.

Oh- and I found out my problem. My CF card is somewhat weird- It does not read in anycard reader. Can this be a card thats not formatted right?

I just need to buy a new CF card.

Dave.

how much is one of these cats?

do you know what its called, so i can search for it?

There are a few that work pretty well for skydiving and can be picked up pretty cheap on eBay. You can look up the specs on a couple different types here.

I use the alera and I've heard of people using the apacer, so those may be a place for you to start.
Hope this helps...
Miami