Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio?

hi

I'm working on Premiere Pro with NTSC mini-DV footage.

I'm looking for recommendations of which encoding software to use (freeware preferred) and also what format and specific codec, to reduce filesize from the uncompressed .avi but keep good quality?

a search yielded nothing definitive and also with new codecs springing up overnight, the latest advice is always best!

thanks

I've had good experiences with the Windows Media Encoder, which you can download here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx.

In my experience, it's generated the smallest files at the highest quality. The downside is that people on Mac's or Linux boxen can't see it.

It's still my favorite, though.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've had good experiences with the Windows Media Encoder, [snip] The downside is that people on Mac's or Linux boxen can't see it.

Since when?
Shhhh. Don't tell my Mac--it might catch on and stop playing them.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/Macintosh/osx/default.aspx

I do have issues with the DIVX codec though.
pope

I haven't found a file format I can't play yet... in Quicktime [except for Real Media... that's not a video codec, it's crap]. This includes WMV files [there is a WMV codec available]. So whatever you make, people will be able to view it.

Personally, I would recommend h.264 in the .mov container, but if you're on a peecee, I'd say MPEG-4.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I do have issues with the DIVX codec though.
pope

What issues do you have with the DivX codec? I just got the programs to make DivX after talking to users of Macs etc. and compatibility didnt seem to be a problem (one reason I didnt wanna use windows media) ..

DivX does make some great quality video very small..

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.