jose

Going price for being hired camera?

Hey. I did a couple shots for a professional photographer earlier this year. He covered my slot and that is it. Just doing a guy a favor and having some fun while at it.

So he called me this week and he wants to get some more shots done. Specific shots. Shots that will take some good jumpers with a plan. I have not been hired like this before and am unfamiliar with what the going rate is for these services. He stated that my slots would be covered and then asked what more I wanted to do it.

What is the day rate for this? Per jump rate? I would do it until I get the shot he wants, but he has me using film instead of digital. I want to be fair so he asks me to do more in the future.

Thanks

Here is Norman Kent's price's from WFFC.

Jump With Norman Kent Details

Price List
1-4 People $110 + Jump ticket ($60 credit towards print order s placed during the event)
5-8 People $160 + Jump ticket ($100 credit towards print orders placed during the event)
9-up $210 + Jump ticket ($140 credit towards print orders placed during the event)

He is just about the only person I'd go to if I wanted a gaurenteed shot on a once in a lifetime jump. Since I don't think you are at that level scale it from there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Here is Norman Kent's price's from WFFC.

Since I don't think you are at that level scale it from there.

Ppffffttt.....whats Norman have that I dont.......?:S

Yeah, I dont think that I will be shooting at his level, nor prices anytime soon.;)

I think it depends on what the photo is being used for.. If its pictures being used for "hey can you go take some photos so I can hang them on my wall" thats one thing. However, if the photos are going to be used in a magazine or some other form of advertisement, the value of thoses photos increase exponentially. If I were going to shoot the photos the first thing I would ask is what are they going to be used for.
You mentioned that the person you are shooting the photos for is a professional photographer, if thats the case he understands, or should understand the value of your work. Don't be outragous in your pricing, but get paid what you deserve.

Try to find out what the shots will be used for. Maybe...

1. Personal collection - then don't expect much more than covering the slot and beer money

2. Stock images shot at the photographers expense and either marketed directly or via a photo library - fairly low pay as he's doing it speculatively.

3. Meeting a specific brief from a client. try to elicit what type of client it is - corporate = charge high

Will he be paying for just your skills, or those of the subject jumpers too? If so, bear that in mind and work out what HIS total expense is - that's what you need to think about, not just what you can make.

I'd charge per day rather than per jump - it's your time as well as skills he's hiring. So heading to the DZ and being weathered in, still uses your valuable time.

Also who will keep copyright? I would never sign over copyright without BIG bucks. Knock up a contract that permits a time limited usage of the images, for a fee, stating specifically what the licenced usage is. If you don't do this you are doing 'work for hire', and if you do, the copyright will transfer to the other guy - and in legal terms it'll be as though he took the shots.

http://www.gordonhodgkinson.com

(dunno how to make the url sticky??)

Blue skies!
Gordon
Beware of advice from those with more posts than jumps ;-)

The usage of the photos is for a his stock library, that he sells to magazines and stuff. Mostly in Canada. He does do business with Adventure Magazine though, so there is a big client. We have discussed ownership before, and I am basically signing off on any royalties, but I do get photo credit when published. That is all I am really looking for at this place in time anyways. Ya gotta walk before you can run. ;)

I more than likely will ask for slots, plus $200 a day. A day of hard jumping, not a shitty weather day, as I wouldn't feel right about that. I am willing to go a little lower, but will start there.

Thanks guys.

The usage of the photos is for a his stock library, that he sells to magazines and stuff. Mostly in Canada. He does do business with Adventure Magazine though, so there is a big client. We have discussed ownership before, and I am basically signing off on any royalties, but I do get photo credit when published.

AH! Don't sell out man. If he wants photos for his stock library, tell him to take them. Never sign away the rights to your photos. Keep some sort of royalties. If you sell out for one flat fee, he could make money off of you indefinitely. Photo credit is nice and all, but real publishers pay for services including photography. You can bet the magazines will pay nicely if they choose to use any of your photos from his stock library.

And be careful of doing something for free, even just once, because then people expect you to do it for free and it's difficult to then put a value on your work.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

this guy is commissioning you to take pictures so he can make money from them...standard library practice is 50/50 split of all sales...the copyright is yours dont give it away...a half page shot in a big magazine can make you a lot of money.

i would charge him a daily rate of say your normal day job rate plus about 35% then put your photos in his library and take the 50% share of sales.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

If he has his OWN stock library, then let him market your work, you keep the copyright, and split the fees obtained.

As someone else said, a historical norm has been 50% of fees to stock libraries (for doing the marketing, negotiation, contract etc) and 50% to photographer. On that basis, you'd probably do the shoot at either your expense or with him just covering the costs.

After that it's a win/win situation:
Good for him as you've supplied bespoke images for him to host in his library.
Good for you as you retain a share of the potential usage fees.
Even better, you now have a long term partnership when you can combine your skills (your unique skydiving photography - and it IS unique when you take a moment to step out of our skydiving 'world') and his marketing skills.

A note on the fess that the images might generate: for a small editorial magazine 1/4 page non exclusive could be less than $100 single run. However full size, exclusive rights, for commercial advertising could be into £1000's.

Gordon Hodgkinson
http://www.gordonhodgkinson.com

Blue skies!
Gordon
Beware of advice from those with more posts than jumps ;-)