j3zz

Canon Eos 300D \Digital rebel

I have combed through this forum and have not quite been able to form the opinion I need.

Are people using this model for shooting tandems for pay, and are you happy with the fps, etc. How many shots can you get off on a tandem from 12000ft and what is the accuracy like in as far a getting what you click?

Basically is it worth getting one or would I be better off with a Film SLR until the price of the 20D gets down to the same as the 300D? I am not looking to send more than about £550.

Jezz

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

The more appropriate question is how many DZ's have gone digital. Has yours? Some DZ's will not let you use a digital camera until everyone has one there. They don't want to play favorites.

And yes, the 300D works great for tandems. I can get over 30 shots/jump. However, have you considered the Digital Rebel XT? It's new and even better than the original Digital Rebel.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

At the moment I am not doing tandems for pay, but I would like to, my reason for favouring a Digital is that I can get immediate feedback after a jump and I do not have to pay to see how I did.

At the moment I pay my slot and just do video. I need a lot of pratice but I have time there is no rush. I just like the challenge.

Jezz

Hinton Skydivers

I use the Digital Rebel for tandems, and am happy with the frame rate.

I could buy something more expensive, but that will not result in me earning more money. Return On Investment (ROI) is key.

The frame rate is faster than what I use for film, so the customer is happy, too.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Thanks

Another question, How do you know that you will get the picture as you fire the trigger?

I believe there is some delay between being able to take pictures, do you just wait a pre set time between shots or do you just shoot a constantly as the camera will handle and see what comes out?

Does that make sense?

Jezz

Hinton Skydivers

Generally, there is no delay between hitting the shutter release and the camera taking the photo.

There is only a delay if you've filled the buffer, and this thread will give you a good explanation of how that works.

Generally I shoot as fast as my tongue can, whenever I see something I want. You do need to be aware of how the buffer works, though.

_Am
__

If I undestand this buffering story you cannot use the 4 frame burst if you want to shoot what you see.

SO I guess you could do the burst for an opening sequence as someone else suggested.

Jezz

Hinton Skydivers

If I undestand this buffering story you cannot use the 4 frame burst if you want to shoot what you see.

You certainly CAN use the 4 frame burst, but you simply need to understand that there's a brief recovery period after each burst. That recovery can be as brief as one second before you take the 5th shot.

There certainly are better and faster cameras available, but obviously they cost more. I haven't had any issues shooting within the confines of the 300D.

Personally, if I was buying now I'd probably pick up the 350D.

_Am
__

If you press and hold the trigger you'll get 4 shots in just over one and a half seconds. You would then continue to get about one shot per second until you ran out of space on your CF card.

Or you could fire 4 shots and stop. Those shots will be written to the camera at about 1 shot per second depending on the speed of your CF card. Once those are cleared you can shoot another 4 shot burst.

Or after your 4 shot birst you could wait for two to clear and fire a two shot birst. Or you could not bother waiting at all and simply continue to fire single shots with each writing to direct to the CF card - so long as the last one has finished writing there will be no delay on hitting the trigger.

Hi Jezz

There are a number of cameramen you should be talking to at Nethers, I'm not sure how many of them are using digital but I would imagine its most of them.

Ash Hollick would be a good place to start for advice. Tell him Buzz sadi hello and Ill see him at Langar.

FYI I had a 300D which produced fantastic results, as long as you dont expect to get out fire off a burst and get the money shot.

High FPS is all well and good but you still need the skill to be there for the shot.

I upgraded from the 300D to a 10D, which I never used for jumping as the 350D is out now and smaller and lighter.

I will be buying a 350D pretty soon (once I have paid for my Tandem course) and have access to a 20D in the mean time.

Digital is without a doubt the way to go, not only do you see instant results, it allows you control over what the punter gets.

Good luck getting on the Video rotation at Nethers. We will need cameramen for the RAPA champs in July if you fancy a trip over theres always a gang from nethers coming over.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Just starting to use mine for jumping this season. The only complaint I have so far is the conversion factor.

Since the CCD is much smaller than 35mm in size, there is a change in what you see vs the focal length of the lens. all values on the lens (which are based on film cameras) must be multiplied by 1.6.

In other words, what you see in the viewfinder is correct, just 1.6x closer than you expect based on a lens setting... set your lens to 28mm, you are really shooting at a setting of ~44mm. Not that big of a deal until you realize that the effective focal lenghths between your video and still dont quite match up... ie you either get your stills too close-up, or your video appears to be shot from too far away.

just my .02
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

ie you either get your stills too close-up, or your video appears to be shot from too far away.

just my .02

OR.. you drop another couple hundred and buy a wider angle lens for when you shoot digital.

On my film bodies I use a 28mm, on my digital rebel I use a 15mm, both match up fairly close to what my video camera sees (with a 0.5 wide angle on it)

Iwan

OR.. you drop another couple hundred and buy a wider angle lens for when you shoot digital.

On my film bodies I use a 28mm, on my digital rebel I use a 15mm, both match up fairly close to what my video camera sees (with a 0.5 wide angle on it)

Iwan

ditto, Im happy with the results.

You can pick up a decent wide angle lens for around 200 buck. Hell, I used the lens that came with the kit for a long time. Granted its not the best piece of glass in the world but it will do. Several of the pictures I had published we taken with that lens.

Hell, I used the lens that came with the kit for a long time. Granted its not the best piece of glass in the world but it will do. Several of the pictures I had published we taken with that lens.

True.. the only reason I never jumped that one is because I already had the Sigma 15mm, and on top of that I don't like zoom lenses in freefall.. there's too much taping down to do :P Yeah ok.. I'm lazy...

ok, so Im paranoid, I taped mine. I'm jumping a 19-35mm quantaray lens right now, Ive been happy with it so far, however I have gotten a couple of error 99s using it when I set it at 1000 on shutter priorty mode, it seems to work fine if I use 500 or set it at ADEP Im using auto focus though.... could be the probelm

Just starting to use mine for jumping this season. The only complaint I have so far is the conversion factor.

Since the CCD is much smaller than 35mm in size, there is a change in what you see vs the focal length of the lens. all values on the lens (which are based on film cameras) must be multiplied by 1.6.

Roy, you should have known that before you bought the camera. And you should have figured out what comprable lens to use with the conversion factor to match up with your video. :PAre you a cameraflyer or just a skydiver with a camera?

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Roy, you should have known that before you bought the camera. And you should have figured out what comprable lens to use with the conversion factor to match up with your video. :PAre you a cameraflyer or just a skydiver with a camera?

peace
lew

actually, I bought it mainly for ground work, knowing it has a remote cable release that I already have rigged up.

the focal length is a small annoyance. next time I'll ask the skygoddess whenever I have a question so I am not just a "skydiver with a camera" ;)
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!