pyke

Which container do you like more & Y? Vector or Mirage?

I am considering purchasing a container very soon and I have been getting information about these two rigs that puts them almost dead even in my mind....

I am just looking for other opinions out there from owners...and you can be positive or negative...doesn't matter.

All entries will be given due consideration!

Thanks,

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

We have both in our house (Micron 304 & Mirage MXS), and they are both really good rigs. You can tell that they are bascially the same design with just some minor differences. Such as the internal riser covers, the reserve pilot chute, and asthetics. I think if you get either rig you will be happy, but it might come down to options you want. Do you want chest rings, you can only get that on the mirage, do you want the skyhook, you can only get that on the vector.
Fly it like you stole it!

There are a lot of good containers out there. I've been drewling over new containers, but don't got the money yet so I'm sticking with my Vector II for this season.

I think the Vector III or Micron seems like great containers, but I've also considering Mirage or Wings. What I like about the Mirage is that they look so small. Don't know how they do it, but I've seen a mirage with a 190 canopy that looks like it contains a 150. Then again, maybe it was an extremely tight fit.
The Wings container also looks sweeeet...
Then there is the new Icon from Aerodyne. Haven't seen one yet (few have).

Anyway, I have a Vector II, and think that it is a great container even though its becoming a bit old. Are you buying new or used?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

It is probably more accurate to say the Mirage has the same designer as the Vector III. My understanding is that Jeff Johnston was on the Vector III design team then left and formed Mirage...

In June of 1991 Jeff moved back to DeLand with his family and started working for the Relative Workshop in Quality Control and rigging. Within a year, Jeff was assigned by Bill Booth to run their R&D Department. Jeff worked on special projects, military systems, tandem systems and eventually led design of the Vector III. Jeff was capable of taking a customer requirement and singlehandedly implementing requirements, and designing and producing prototypes.

In April 1996, Jeff left Relative Workshop and started work on the design of the new Mirage harness/container system. Jeff currently works as lead designer at Mirage Systems, working on rig design and special projects. His contributions at Mirage are innumerable and invaluable, and are reflected in the quality and functionality of the product.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

And where is this not a copy?

He designed one, then designed another with almost the exact same design.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

One of the reasons you may want to choose the Vector 3 is because of it's durability. The body of a Vector is all one piece. Where most construction begins to break down is on the seams. The RWS design doesn't have as many seams as the Mirage. In fact on a recent comparison I think the Mirage has more seams than almost any other rig, but that wasn't on close inspection. Also if you're opting for the soft pillows on your cutaway and reserve you will not find a better handle than that on the Micron. Mine almost beg to be pulled. You can't miss them and you can grab them very easily. You'll notice other soft handles on other rigs are thin and can be flimsy (although I believe Mirage has added a stiffner to their reserve handle) but both pillows on the RWS system are rounded and firm. I feel very sure I won't have a problem grabbing them in any situation.

I also think the aesthetics of the Micron beats those of the Mirage hands down, but that is just opinion. And there's no accounting for taste (some people like the way Wings looks!!!).

I would say also very important when spending that much money customer service is very important but I have never dealt with Mirage. I can tell you that I was given very special attention and handled with class when dealing with RWS. Every question answered promtly (almost immediately) and every detail looked after. But I've never heard anyone complain about the folks at Mirage systems either.

Good luck. I'm sure no matter what you end up with you will be very happy with!

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

Then you're getting good information, because they're about dead even in my mind too.

Vector is a bit ahead though because,

I think they have a better velcroless toggle design

The Skyhook RSL is amazing

Mirage is more comfortable though....

The Vector-3 M-series is the same design as the Vector-Micron, but the M-series is for larger canopies. The toggle keeper design on the Vectors is far superior than any other design I've seen. The rigs really stand up to the about jumpers put on them. Customer service is personal and prompt. All of the little details are incredible. Thouroughly amazed.
-Rap