JayhawkJumper

24p Video

Jayhawk, do you use the camera at all. I've only seen and held the camera. Wondering how you like it?

It is a big camera. a bit bigger than the Sony PD 150/170 and VX 2000 cameras which are a bit big themselves. But manageable to mount. They are really the only 3chip cameras that function well in freefall. Sony's new PDX10 is a smaller 3 chip pro/prosumer camcorder but has a problem with freefall vibration with the 3 senors. A freind and I tested it, including taking it apart trying to solve it to no success.

I'll be interested in your findings on the quality of the air footage. Especially to know if it does or does no have the flutter problem.

Still waiting to hear if anyone has jumped the new Sony HC1000. ITs a new prosumer 3 chip. I need a new camera and just want to know if it has the same flutter problem as the PDX10 before I buy it.

Even with that said I'm looking at the Panasonic line of 3 chip cameras. There are 3 models ranging in price from $600 $1,400 which are small in size good quality cameras. I'm losing my loyalties with sony as they continue to change cables, batteries, buttons from the camera and hide all the functions under som many screens in the touch screen. In addition Panasonics models are top loaders which means once it is mounted on the helmet or tripod you can easily change tapes.

Let me know how the camera flies.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

I spoke with Joao Tambor at WFFC as he is jumping a 3 chip camera top mount and is getting some nice footage from it. I can't remember which one right now but it was a fairly new model.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

sony or other. I've seen a JVC Hd which was crap flutter problem, and one other flyer at the nationals with one of the Panasonics.

Panasonic makes good cameras. They are probaly a second to sony in the broadcast indusrty.
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

Has anyone jumped the new Panasonic DVX100a? Just curious how it does in the air. A few of my friends have them and I've been meaning to jump one and see how it goes.

I have a number of jumps on AG-DVX100a's, both aircraft and BASE. They are big, but their GREAT cameras. If you shoot anything outside of skydiving for money, buy one.
They are a bit bulky, but really not so much more that any VX from sony. The image stabilization feature sucks for skydiving--I rarely use mine at all. 24p is beautiful but you have to be SURE to fly super smoothly and know your light. There are 3 ND settings on the camera as well which I wish all video cameras had. I think another good option for the DVX is shooting skydives at 30p--seems to do well with more movement.
Beware--lenses are quite expensive, even for the crappy ones. Century makes a .3 w/a for it that sells for around 500+ (not a crappy lens at all!)

sample 24p with Panasonic AG-DVX100a

This is shot with an anamorphic lens adapter, and the small file probably won't do it justice, but you can check it out anyhow if you want.
all in all, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
pope

Can you use the CamEye II LANC remote control on the Panasonic 3Chips Camcorders?

I can not speak for all Panasonic 3CCD cams (plus European models may be quite different from US), but I personally did not see any of them accepting CamEye. If they do have a LANC port (most of them don't), it takes a different jack.
The whole 24P thing really makes any sense if you plan to use footage in a cinema project. As for the general image quiality, DVX looks close to Sony VX/PD cams, but definately not superiour to them.
Despite all the bad things coming from Sony recently, I personally believe their new HD line is the way to go...

Blaze, I've shot quite a few projects with the DVX. Most recently a music video which was a 3 camera multi cam shoot. We also shot some 16mm and 35mm film of some of the scenes to see how they will mix. The 24p footage looks a lot closer to film that 30i does, but its not completely "film like" yet. The closest thing is probably the Viper Filmstream or Panavision Genesis (but they're $$$$$ and HD).

Triax, that was some nice footage of the tandem. I have noticed some flutter in pans and moves in 24a mode, but going to 30p in the air reduces flutter? Is it possible to jump the camera without a wide angle lense or is it really necessary to get decent footage?

should have been more clear--
that was an anamorphic lens adapter, ~0.75 or so...wide angle lenses are available, but spendy seeing as there is a 72mm filter diameter.

I usually shoot jumps with NO lens adapter, and fly at an appropriate distance away from the subject. My experience is that 30p will give you less 'flutter' in higher action moves, ie. jumping. If the subject or the camera is stationary, you're just fine in 24p. I believe that footy was shot in 24p, NOT 24pADV.

pope

well I found some more info on the LANC control. I thought it was a universal excesory but it isn't.

CONTROL-L:
Sony's wired edit control protocol, also called LANC (Local Application Control), which allows two way communication between a camcorder or VCR and an edit cotroller.

CONTROL-M:
Panasonic's wired edit control protocol. Similar to Control-L in func- tion but NOT compatible.

A big bummer. This puts my decision on the Panasonis cameras in the con column. I really need the cam eye to knwo if the camera is on. I hate relying on others in the plane.
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

The Orpahnage, a post production house in SF and LA has some really nice software to make video look more like film. "Magic Bullet" for Premiere Pro, After Effects and Final Cut. Good stuff. The boys there are former ILM so they realy know there stuff.

http://www.theorphanage.com/

also, goto recentn projects and read the write up on "Falling" a film that was shot at skydance, in davis where the filmaker threw a camera mounted in a 3 foot rocket like housing out at 30,000ft. 3 mins of footage pointing at the ground all the way to impact. He did well at Sundance.

This incredibly simple film actually captures our worst nightmare of skydiving.
Going in.
http://www.rolfgibbs.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

also, goto recentn projects and read the write up on "Falling" a film that was shot at skydance, in davis where the filmaker threw a camera mounted in a 3 foot rocket like housing out at 30,000ft. 3 mins of footage pointing at the ground all the way to impact. He did well at Sundance.

Also available at IFILM.COM

And yes, it's very cool.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.