Kris

HC-40 Motor Noise?

Okay, so I'm taking the plunge into adding a camera to my helmet.

Right now, the front-runner is the Sony DCR-HC40. I plan to side-mount it on my Mindwarp with an L-bracket and I've already got a Cameye-II on its way.

However, I read in other forums that motor noise is an issue with these cameras. I plan on using it for some whuffo stuff as well, so I'd really like to hear from anyone using the 40.

My other choice is the PC9, but I don't like the fact that it's so dependant on its dock, and the 330 is just way too expensive.

Anything else I should be looking at? Suggestions are welcome as long as it's Sony.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I believe in freefall one can hardly hear motor noise B|

Yeah, I kinda' figured as much.;) However, skydiving isn't the only thing the cam is going to be used for, as I stated above.

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/sony/hc40-review/index.shtml
According to this review, motor noise is not a problem.
I can't see an external mic jack though, so if those sounds are really important to you, maybe this isn't the cam to capture them.edit>>> D'oh external mic socket supplied.:)For what its worth, most cameras in this price range have pretty poor on board microphones, and nearly all pick up some amount of motor noise.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

For what its worth, most cameras in this price range have pretty poor on board microphones, and nearly all pick up some amount of motor noise.

Lemme edit that . . .

Most cameras have poor on-board microphones and nearly all pick up some amount of motor noise. This includes most broadcast cameras.

If'n it's got a motor, it's makin' noise. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Kris,

I bought one three weeks ago. I am very happy with it and haven't noticed any motor noise on the sound track during playback. I use it for whuffo stuff only. Although I've read that a few have used it in skydives as well and are happy with it too. So I will jump with it someday in the future (right now I am far from being ready for it).
Both my wife and I are very happy with the DCR-HC40. I like the way it feels on my hand. Small and light.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

I have not noticed any motor noise from my HC40.

Put in in a quiet room and do some recording, then listen to the playback on something better than a crappy TV speaker.

Without even performing this experiment on this particular device myself, I can -almost- guarantee you that you'll hear a fairly noticable high-pitched buzzing that is the drive motor.

Further, because of the automatic gain control of the audio volume on most consumer cameras, the quieter the room, the louder the motor noise will be recorded. So, it -may-, in fact, be perfectly acceptable for recording around a drop zone with engines running and people milling around, but for quieter stuff, it may be intolerable.

Here's a sample of the motor noise my TRV22 makes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Okay, so I'm taking the plunge into adding a camera to my helmet.

Right now, the front-runner is the Sony DCR-HC40. I plan to side-mount it on my Mindwarp with an L-bracket and I've already got a Cameye-II on its way.

Does the HC-40 (or any of the HC cameras) have a LANC connection. I dont remember that they did and that was one of the reasons I was holding off?? I could be remembering that wrong right now... I have a Cam-Eye in the LANC Jack of my current Sony but can you run it to something else if the LANC is not present?????

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Does the HC-40 (or any of the HC cameras) have a LANC connection. I dont remember that they did and that was one of the reasons I was holding off?? I could be remembering that wrong right now... I have a Cam-Eye in the LANC Jack of my current Sony but can you run it to something else if the LANC is not present?????

It does have a LANC connection. I've got the cam in my hands and this is a damn tiny camera, only a bit longer than the PC series.

The only "gotcha" is that the tripod screw is further back on the HC. So if you use this (like I do on my L-bracket), then you'll have to drill a new hole on your mount.

I also did some test-recording to the memory stick. It's a nifty feature for quick & dirty stuff but the quality is severely lacking. However, you can record in-camera from tape to memory stick if you want to grab a quick preview copy to play with on a PC.:)
Also, I can barely hear the motor noise, big plus.

As for the touch-screen, I like it. I can whip through the settings easily,

The only negative I've got is the damn wrist-strap. I have no idea how the hell I'm going to get this damn thing off without either cutting it or doing some serious disassembly.:S

Also, I can barely hear the motor noise, big plus.

As for the touch-screen, I like it. I can whip through the settings easily,

The only negative I've got is the damn wrist-strap. I have no idea how the hell I'm going to get this damn thing off without either cutting it or doing some serious disassembly.:S

I just got one and jumped it last weekend.
I cut the strap off by undoing the stitching, I couldn't easily figure out a way to remove it without the risk of damaging the camera, it is so small that the strap isn't really required to be able to hold it anyway.

One issue I see with it is the power/record switch sticking out of the side of the camera so far, very noticable when the strap is removed, I had to cut a notch in the L bracket so it would not get stuck. Another issue is that the battery is on the back of the camera and it only takes the slightest of taps on the release button to remove it, an extra bungy or strap around the battery is a good precaution.

Another thing I was worried about was the low light filming because sony shrunk the optics, the late sunset jump is always darker than most, from last sundays sunset jump it seems to perform at least as well as my old PC9 if not better and the color reproduction is good with the low light compared to the PC9.

The LCD is miles better than the PC9, you can actually see it in sunlight and you can turn off the backlight to save the battery (the one it comes with is a crappy low life thing that might need upgrading, I don't think it would last a busy boogie weekend without a recharge).

I paired it up with a 0.29 lens from http://www.cookiecomposites.com which they make with a 25mm filter ring so no adapter is required and it works great with no vignette. I expect the one from diamond or way-cool is just as good but you can't order the 25mm on-line from them like you can with cookiecomposites when I last checked. The lens only took a week from order to get here and that was standard airmail from Australia.

Other thoughts, it uses the new audio connector, the same as the PC105, so all the spares you have for your PC101,9,110,120 etc will not work, they also changed the battery type so none of the ones from the PC series will work either, which kinda sucks if you have any. The firewire connector is on the right side so you have to remove the camera from your helmet if you use a side mount (I think the PC109 has this problem as well), one good thing is that the power is on the back on the left so you can plug it in without unmounting it, the power connector is different from all the PC series so those spares are junk as well, the price is the real winner for the HC40 ($517 is what I paid) it is so much better compared to anything else.
And did I say how light it is, only 14oz!, great if you have neck problems like me.

The only negative I've got is the damn wrist-strap. I have no idea how the hell I'm going to get this damn thing off without either cutting it or doing some serious disassembly.

Come on, it's easy! Just have that tiny aluminium ring loose and put away the strap. It takes 3 minutes to make that (I used a spoon to loosen the ring).

Come on, it's easy! Just have that tiny aluminium ring loose and put away the strap. It takes 3 minutes to make that (I used a spoon to loosen the ring).

I think you're looking at a different camera. For the portion of the strap near the back of the HC40 camera, there's no way to get it off without either cutting it or taking the tape door apart.

I think you're looking at a different camera. For the portion of the strap near the back of the HC40 camera, there's no way to get it off without either cutting it or taking the tape door apart.

Hey! DO NOT take that apart,:o it just ain't worth it. IIRC, all Sonys are like that. Just cut the damn thing off. There are a few threads here and that is the general consensus. I did it to both of mine.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Okay I'll bite.

So where did you buy that camera for $517?
I want that deal too.

dbuys.com
no tax, unless you live in NY
get the standard shipping, i ordered saturday, got camera on wednesday via fedex.
their current price is $519, it usually drops a couple of bucks on friday midnight EST until monday morning.

Hey! DO NOT take that apart,:o it just ain't worth it. IIRC, all Sonys are like that. Just cut the damn thing off. There are a few threads here and that is the general consensus. I did it to both of mine.:)

What's wrong, Brains? Too many years behind a desk make you a little timid when confronted with a small technical challenge?B|

Actually, Brains is right. You can remove the straps with a lot of patience and care but, it just ain't worth it! Take a hot knife and cut'm off and you won't even have a thread hangin'.

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

What's wrong, Brains? Too many years behind a desk make you a little timid when confronted with a small technical challenge?

NO!:P More like impatient:D Cutting was easier than taking it apart. The hot knife is a good idea too, in my current mental state i might have otherwise reached for the sawzall.:o:D:P

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.