skipro101

skyhook and camera flying

Ok, lol...lets try and not open a can of worms...please dont discuss the pros and cons of rsl and cameras...its been beat to death for sure..

rather, I just want to know if the skyhook is any different/safer for use for people with cameras....

I really like the skyhook system, but am planning on jumping video with the next few months....and I dont want to buy a rig with a skyhook if it poses the same problems as a rsl equipped rig when jumping camera.

thx

The skyhook is a marvelous invention, it perfectly solves a lot of the issues that existed with RSL's.

However it doesn't address the needs of a camera flyer.

People with large camera setups mounted on their helmets are often the only group who have a justifiable need for a delay between cuttaway and reserve deployment. This is contraindicated to the use of a skyhook.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yes. The skyhook is activated via the RSL/Collins lanyard. Sit down with a good rigger and have them explain how the Skyhook really works instead of just buying something for the gimick factor.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The skyhook is effectively an addition to the existing RSL system, not a replacement. It does not change things one iota along the time line from cutaway to the point where the reserve pilot chute is launched. Only after that point do things start to happen differently.

The bit the camera flyer cares about is what happens on cutaway and when the reserve pilot chute is deployed. As I said, these events are the same with both systems.

You're not quite correct. For instance, if the skyhook works correctly, the reserve PC doesn't launch, if it launches then it unhooks the skyhook and is a normal RSL fired reserve.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, perhaps I should have worded it as "the timing of the reserve deployment" or something... Does the reserve pilot chut not begin deploying at effectivly the same time as you fall away from the main - thus the main simply out-pulls the reserve pilot chute?

If the reserve PC fires out, then it unhooks the Skyhook at the bridle attatchement point. Otherwise, the reserve PC basically gets dragged along by the main by the Skyhook and system.

Go to RWS's website and look at the pictures.;)

The reserve PC still launches with the skyhook. The "hook" is located on the reserve bridal below the spring.

If the reserve PC has higher drag than the main, the PC deploys the reserve.
If the main has higher drag, the main deploys the reserve.
illegible usually

Go to RWS's website and look at the pictures

I did when it came out. Eric's pointed out my point as it were. As the "skyhook" itself is below the reserve pilot chute if the the reserve pilot chute isn't deployed nothing happens, skyhook or no skyhook as it's stuck below a whapping great spring.

Thus the RSL still serves it's orriginal purpose of deploying the reserve pilot chute. Its just that in the case of a skyhook equiped rig it could be argued that this is more to facilitate the proper functioning of the "skyhook" than to create drag with the reserve pilotchute.

From the Relative Workshop Site:

While a normal RSL automatically pulls the reserve ripcord pin following a breakaway, the new RWS Skyhook RSL goes two steps further. It automatically releases the non-RSL riser in case the RSL riser was released prematurely (ensuring your reserve will not deploy with half your main still attached). The Skyhook then uses your departing malfunctioned main canopy as a super pilot chute to deploy your reserve canopy, taking about ½ second from breakaway to line stretch (reserve canopy out of the bag). This is 3 to 4 times faster than a pilot chute can do alone, and means that the average sport reserve can be open in 75 to 80 feet after breakaway. This puts the argument of which rig has the fastest reserve deployment to bed forever. It has been asked if the Skyhook is like the device used on the Sorcerer BASE rig. Although there are similarities, the Sorcerer system is designed for an externally mounted RESERVE hand deployed system and lacks the automatic release features of the Skyhook making it unsuitable for use with internal spring-loaded pilot chute rigs.

The Skyhook sits inside your reserve container, on top of the #2 kicker flap, right under your reserve pilot chute. A small cover flap protects the SkyHook assemblage.

The SkyHook Lanyard is approximately six inches long, and branches off from the normal RSL lanyard. A specially designed metal "cam" to receive the loop is attached to your reserve freebag bridle, about five feet below the pilot chute. If you disconnect the RSL, you also disconnect the SkyHook.

Hope this clears up any confusion anyone may have been having

As the "skyhook" itself is below the reserve pilot chute if the the reserve pilot chute isn't deployed nothing happens

Ok, so for .0001 of a second the reserve PC is beating the Skyhook laynard.

For all practical purposes, though, when you chop with a skyhook, once the pin is pulled and the flaps are open, the skyhook is pulling the bridle out.

Thus the RSL still serves it's orriginal purpose of deploying the reserve pilot chute.

No RSL does that, a RSL opens the container, pulls the pin. The only system that truely "deploys" by actually pulling something out, is the Skyhook.

B|

After this lets just beat each other with sticks, or maybe have a couple of beers.B|:P

After this lets just beat each other with sticks, or maybe have a couple of beers

hehehe - I'm still sure we're totally saying the same thing just picking at each other's wording.

How does "the RSL pulls the pin allowing the spring loaded PC to deploy itself" sound?

hehehe - I'm still sure we're totally saying the same thing just picking at each other's wording.

I think so too. Stupid interweb thingy makes this happen quite easily.B|