Hooknswoop

Cypres II

Here's what I'd like to see:

-lower power uP (longer battery life, smaller batteries)
-stronger case
-smaller size
-anti dual deployment function (accelerometer, loop tension or light based)

(someone said)

>a means of inspecting serviceability by Riggers at repack other than
>a "functional check" by turning it on and watching it count down.

Not sure what else you could do. A rigger can do a functional check with a chamber and a dummy (or sacrificial) cutter right now. Without a chamber you can test everything but the altitude sensor and firing circuit; that's what the BIT does now.

(someone else said)

>It shouldn't be too difficult to get it asssessed by an independent
>consultant and assigned a reliability figure.

I would think such a thing is much better done by airtec themselves. It's not in a 'normal' environment; it's not like a toaster or a car airbag sensor. It goes through massive temperature cycling, abuse from riggers, gets squeezed a lot etx. About the only company around with actual reliability data to plug into a reliability equation is airtec.

Approval to install any AAD in any rig must come from the rig manufacturer and probably from the AAD manufacturer as well.
H/C and AAD manufacturers usually work closely together on the first retrofit to work out any bugs and simplify the installation process. Once they are satisfied with the process, they publish procedures and start training field riggers. They closely monitor the first few retrofits to de-bug their process.
For example, when I worked at Rigging Innovations during the mid-1990s - shortly after Cypres were introduced. Both Rigging Innovations and Airtec published instructions on how to retrofit a Cypres to a Talon. Any Master Rigger who wanted to do the retrofit outside the factory had to pass Airtec's home study course.
Airtec mailed out thousands of Cypres retrofit kits and I spend countless hours on the telephone explaining to field riggers what was already written in R.I.'s Product Modification Procedure and Airtec's Cypres Installation Manual.

Is there any specific reason why they MPAAD has the closing loop going directly through the unit? Any reason why this is better or worse? Seems like its just differnt for the sake of being 'NEW AND DIFFERENT' to the cypress. Possibly the easyest way to capture a market rather then making a clone of the cypress....

The cypress can prettymuch be put into any type of rig on the market as they cutters and small and can be moved anywhere. The fact that the unit is the cutter to me seems like it may limit itself from being put into some rigs.. ie.. it may not work well in a racer..

Seems to me having it go right through the center is a better system than the cypres. which has the cutter, the control unit, and the processor/batteries as three seperate units. just makes sense to consolidate rather than have it all over the place. simple is good.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Is there any specific reason why they MPAAD has the closing loop going directly through the unit? Any reason why this is better or worse?

If you read the Cypres owner's manual. they flat out tell you that they sacrificed durability of the wiring to reduce weight and bulk. With everything being in one unit, the MPAAD very likely doesn't have the vulnerability to wiring damage that the Cypress does. I for one will welocme that. The wiring has always made me nervous when having to install or service a Cypres.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

:)
That was my understanding. In fact there was quite a controversy concerning SR Riggers even installing the units (any aad within the reserve tray) on rigs that were factory ready back then.
I was just curious why the AAD manufacturer was certifying a rigger and not working with the manufacturer of the containers.
Thanks and Blues,
J.E.
James 4:8

Is there any specific reason why they MPAAD has the closing loop going directly through the unit? Any reason why this is better or worse?

Makes sense to me.
Cables have always been vulnerable on Cypri.
One of the reason we welcomed the ASTRA was because its cables are so much tougher than Cypres cables.
As for difficulty in installing an MPAAD in a Racer,... didn't you hear? Cypres killed off most of the two-pin containers. It is difficult to GIVE away Racers in British Columbia!

Cypres killed off most of the two-pin containers. It is difficult to GIVE away Racers in British Columbia!

But cypres has a two pin version. Infact it's only to change the cutter...
Am I missing the point here??????:$

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.