Trent

A DIFFERENT question about music royalties

So some of the threads here got me thinking... what if you were to make a video using a "big name" song and wanted to sell it. Would it be legal for you to go to iTunes and download 1 copy of that song for each dvd you sell? Unless services like iTunes prohibit that specifically, then it seems fair. But would it work?
Oh, hello again!

So some of the threads here got me thinking... what if you were to make a video using a "big name" song and wanted to sell it. Would it be legal for you to go to iTunes and download 1 copy of that song for each dvd you sell? Unless services like iTunes prohibit that specifically, then it seems fair. But would it work?

No. Read the Itunes terms of use. The song is still copyrighted and if you don't own it, you're out of luck.

So even if I pay for every song I put in a video, that's not okay. I make 100 videos and I buy 100 songs. So it's not like buying a software license? I'm not buying the right to have 1 copy of that song when I pay for music? I'll have to read more... but it seems like it would be fair....:|
Oh, hello again!

You're buying the right to have the song for your personal enjoyment, you're not paying for rights to profit from the music being used.

Sure, you're not "making" money, but you're selling a "product" which is the same legally.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

but it seems like it would be fair

Fair, maybe... legal mabe not... it may get you out of damages, because of good faith... but they will still make you stop distribution.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

No. Whenever you buy a song, book, or movie, you're not actually buying the CONTENT. You're buying two things:

1) a transport mechanism.
2) certain rights to use what is physically stored on the transport mechanism.

So, when you buy a music CD, you're buying a hunk of plastic, with some metal layred thinly inside. You're also buying the rights to personally listen to that music yourself.

The fact that you now own the transport mechanism (CD), does not mean you own the content. The copyright holder still owns the content. You just own the right to listen to the content.

You do NOT own the right to reproduce the content. (exceptions apply).

You do NOT own the right to redistribute the content, which is what you're talking about.

What most people don't know, is that you don't even have the right to resell (say, at a used CD store), or even lend it to a friend. Granted that this part is rarely enforced, and is legally debatable.

Buying more copies of the transport mechanism does not give you any more rights then just buying one copy.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

No. Whenever you buy a song, book, or movie, you're not actually buying the CONTENT. You're buying two things:

1) a transport mechanism.
2) certain rights to use what is physically stored on the transport mechanism.

So, when you buy a music CD, you're buying a hunk of plastic, with some metal layred thinly inside. You're also buying the rights to personally listen to that music yourself.

The fact that you now own the transport mechanism (CD), does not mean you own the content. The copyright holder still owns the content. You just own the right to listen to the content.

You do NOT own the right to reproduce the content. (exceptions apply).

You do NOT own the right to redistribute the content, which is what you're talking about.

What most people don't know, is that you don't even have the right to resell (say, at a used CD store), or even lend it to a friend. Granted that this part is rarely enforced, and is legally debatable.

Buying more copies of the transport mechanism does not give you any more rights then just buying one copy.

_Am

I've said this before in reply to posts like this:

Intellectual property right owners ARE going after little guys.

You can buy, at a reasonable price, music to use in syncronization with your videos that you SELL and distribute to others.

I use Sounddogs, and the music is not that bad.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

and the music is not that bad.

you mean, as opposed to "good?"
mh

Not as good as Aerosmith or Eminem, but very fine for syncronization with skydiving video.

:|
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com