clint

EDiting video's on computer? HELP

I have over 100hrs of "BEST OF" video that I would like to start editing. What software do I need!
I just bought a computer 2 months ago and it's very confusing to me. I am having fun learning but it's all too much. HELP!
Thanks,
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

Hmm... You just bought a computer and you have over 100hrs of video.

You can do a search on this forum for software discussions. If you plan to digitize all of that footage and drop it in a single timeline, you'd better grab your wallet.

A project that size will take a huge amount of hard-drive space. A timeline that big will require something pretty robust. If this is a one-time project, you might consider renting/leasing an edit station. I have an Avid Pro suite with over a Terabyte of storage and it would require a bit more space to handle that project.

As far as real "HELP!" - it's probably time to get to be good friends with the local video/computer guru.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

To deal with that amount of footage and maintain your sanity, you most definately want a professional editing system.

If you're building from scratch and have no investments in hardward already, you can choose from a few different systems and programs.

If it was -me- (and I had access to the funds required), I'd go out and buy a dual proccessor G5 Mac, a couple of 250 gig FireWire drives and a copy of either Final Cut Pro or AVID Express DV. More likely Final Cut Pro because I still sort of hold a grudge against AVID because of their snotty attitudes when it comes to customer service.

Either that or I'd hire someone to do all the editing for me. The advantage there would be that you don't have to do stuff you don't know how to do, you get a professional product and you have no capital investment to make.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you want all 100 hours of video on the computer at the same time that will take a lot of disk space, ~13Gig per hour, that adds up to 5 or 6 250Gig disks.
Figuring out which program to use is personal choice download some demo versions or use someone else's system, to figure out what you like and and whether that editor will do what you need it to do. Personally I use Sony Vegas, others on here use Premiere, the MAc guys like Final Cut, all of them can do the job depending on what you want to do.

What is it that you want to do? Get down to a one to two hour best of video? In which case the clips to do this would end up needing about 30Gigs of space, minimum. But you have to toss out unwanted clips and trim clips down to the 10 seconds you want, to get to this number. Having only 60Gigs free space to get down to the 30 Gigs probably won't work efficiently.
A way to approach it is to buy a couple of large disks (120+Gigs) and capture a couple of tapes at a time and remove the unwanted clips from each tape. You may even want to trim clips to the 20 seconds that you want, discarding the rest of the clip, this involves re-rendering the clip to the shortened version. Make sure the editing software you choose can do this without introducing errors. Depending on your capture program you could capture a log of all the clips on a tape and add their subject, that way you could change your mind after discarding a clip and re-capture it easily.

If it was -me- (and I had access to the funds required), I'd go out and buy a dual proccessor G5 Mac, a couple of 250 gig FireWire drives

Yeah, I'll do the G5 equivalent when the time comes, but my P4/2.4ghz with 1.5 (edit) Gigs of RAM is cutting it with Premiere 6.5. It also may be cheaper to use 180 meg drives daisychained, my USB one is working out fine.

I'm thinking you are probably intending to clip out the good stuff of your 100 hours (100 miniDV tapes?) and condense it into something fun to watch.

So if you capture a 10th of that stuff to keep, you're talking 10 DVD's at full quality, and three if you do it in long play.

I have never had any luck burning to DVD right in the computer so I have a stand-alone DVD recorder connected by firewire to my PC.

Last year this time I thought I had the gear to do an hour DVD. I didn't.

If you are looking at data that size, consider a RAID system. The peace of mind that your hours and hours of digitizing is protected from a hard-drive crash is worth every penny. The performance is also amazing, and much cheaper than a bunch of external drives connected together.

Unless you are planning on producing a multiple tape/DVD final cut, sorting through your footage and only digitizing the sweet stuff (plus handles) will allow you to edit on a much simpler/economical system.

- Cajones

Since I know you're on a budget....

You didn't mention if you're PC or MAC.

If PC, you can download Microsoft Movie Maker from their website for free. It's basic, but it does edits just as easily as the others, and does some very basic effects and titles.

If MAC, then you need to ask someone else.

The next step up from Movie Maker is Adobe Premiere, which is a profesional high end product. If you're buying online, expect to pay about $800, although its pretty easy to find someone who'll lend you a copy.

Editing projects is a lot more time consuming then you'd think. Roughly one minute of finished video will take you roughly one hour to edit. A 20 minute "end of year video" will take you 20 hours to finish.

You might recognize some of these people: http://66.102.107.165/andrew/2003pgS.wmv

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Phew!!! Damn that was long... I thought for the down-load time (what the hell...?) but so well worth it Andy; thanks for sharing- good job!

Did you do the vid on all those jumps (except you and craichhead obviosly)? ... I loved the, "Get T.F. away from me," push-off the back of the container clip (Free-fly) btw!!!! LMAO!!!!

The 15 way purely Rocked!!!

And was that Doug splashing in at rantoul?
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

For really easy, reliable, cost-effective ATA or EIDE RAID cards, look here:

http://www.promise.com/

I use [insert forgotten model number here] from Promise with 4 250 GIG drives (makes a terabyte) and they're ludicrous-fast and highly reliable. I believe "ludicrous-fast" is a technical term meaning, "doesn't cause slow or jittery video."

Hey Cajones!! How's tricks?

Later all.

Andy

"I drank what?" --Sophocles

All good, my Brother Mono.

I recommend the 3Ware RAID cards. They are true hardware RAID controllers. I use the 8-drive version in my Avid Suite. Smokin' fast and less CPU load than a single internal drive.

If you're going to work with volumes this size, do NOT use RAID 0 (zero) for anything critical. It gives tremendous performance but no data protection with increased exposure to failure.

- Cajones

Thanks to all who replied. I've been meaning to make a Final best of tape forever. Now that opened Skydive Moab, I really would like to sell a DVD to make some money. All the video is from the past 8yrs of jumping. I will ask more questions later. I just wanted to say thanks for now!
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

If you're going to work with volumes this size, do NOT use RAID 0 (zero) for anything critical. It gives tremendous performance but no data protection with increased exposure to failure.

- Cajones

How about Raid 0+1? One of my friends just configured his pc like that.
4x 120 GB configured as Raid 0+1
You get the speed of Raid 0 and the data protection from Raid 1

I don't know if all cards support this though.

Thanks,
Iwan

0+1 is a good solution if your card doesn't support RAID 5. The entry level cards are RAID 1,0,0+1, and JBOD. Those 4 drives on a RAID 5 would yield more space (360GB instead of 240GB), but may not have quite as much speed (depends on the card).

- Cajones