JayhawkJumper

Rig Cleaning

In an earlier thread, Kris said he washed his rig in the bathtub. I need to clean my rig sometime soon and I called Javelin and Aggie said to put it in a pillow case, tie it off, and throw it in the washing machine. Is this a very good way to wash a rig?

I also thought about the cheap and easy way: get some spray paint and just spray paint the rig every time it gets dirty. Just kiddin, but this method is similar to how I do my laundry.

Is this a very good way to wash a rig?

Depends on how much you love your washing machine.;) I know of one person who destroyed his machine trying that. It was probably more from the unbalanced rotational mass, but still, that's a lot of knocking around for the rig hardware to take I would think.

The big advantage of cleaning in a tub is that you can more easily clean the tough areas that may need a little extra attention.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I would NOT dry clean your rig...they use chemicals to do so(causing premature wearing of the material in your rig). I have heard of people using a car wash to clean their rigs...another bad idea. Most car washes use recycled water...thus having oil, battery acid, etc. in their water. I have done a few rigs and I usually use woolite in a tub. Let it sit. Scrub it with a soft brush and watch the dirt come out. Lather, Rinse, and Repeat. Its amazing how much crap comes out of a rig. I havent done the washing machine deally but I am sure that it works, but if you want to delicatly wash something (your silk g-strings), you dont put them in the washing machine do you? Just a thought.

Word of advice... if your going to take it to a laundrymat and do this make sure the place don't have cameras. There is nothing that pissed me off more then being drug in to help fix a machine after someone trashed it, only to review the video log and see the person and know that the mask hid their identy. Those that were caught got turned in to the police since signs were posted.

If you are going to a laundrymat the dryers should never be used with rigs or hardware.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've done a couple of rigs in the machine; my main (F111) too. For the rig, put a couple of towels in with it and use Woolite or some other gentle liquid soap -- they'll help to counterbalance the weight of the rig. Give it an extra rinse or two as well.

It came out nice and clean. The spin cycle gets lots of water out. But you really need to just hang it to dry, and I agree completely with the no drycleaning and no dryer options.

These days I'd be more likely to use the bathtub technique, though.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How much disassembly does it take? I mean both canopies come out obviusly, but the rest of the hardware stays on right?? I sent my Racer back to Jumpshack when I first got it( used) for some modifications and a repack. It came back looking brand new. Without the modifications (shoulder tuck tabs ) it was pretty reasonable, and it was back to me in about ten days.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

:)There are other products that use the name Oxy Clean. One is a cleaning agent used in the food industry and is a highly alkaline phosphated chlorine containing liquid with its main ingredient being potassium hydroxide. The other Oxy Clean is a typical formula of sodium percarbonate(70-100%) for institutional laundry bleach. I guess I'm not going to stick my neck out any further by endorsing any of these products. But while you are on the net, let your search engine get some info for you, but beware of the information and the way you interpret it!;)Ziggy

Jayhawk,
I have washed several rigs over the years and found the best way it to put the rig a B-4 type kit bag, go to the laundromat and wash it is the large commercial machines. When it comes out hang it out of the sun for 24-36 hours and it is ready to go.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've been told by people at my DZ not to leave my rig in the sun, because it will cause fading. I would hang it indoors to dry, even if it takes a day or two longer.

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

I've been told by people at my DZ not to leave my rig in the sun, because it will cause fading. I would hang it indoors to dry, even if it takes a day or two longer.

Sun is bad because not only will it fade nylon, it will weaken it. I hung my rig outside on my back porch at night and pulled it in when I woke up the next morning (before dawn).

I then hung it up in the garage with a fan on it to keep it from getting that stale smell and to prevent anything (fungus, mold, etc...) from trying to grow on it while it was still damp.

By the time I came home from work it was completely dry and ready for the ScotchGuard.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Hang it inside with a fan or two pointed at it...that'll do it right up;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

out of the sun for 24-36 hours and it is ready to go.
Sparky

sun = bad for rig!! Let it dry in the shade.. I hung mine infront of the central heating intake so air was going past it. Pook about 3 days to be COMPLETELY dry.

OK now a lot of people have been commenting on this but I think everyone misread the original post.

out of the sun for 24-36 hours and it is ready to go.
Sparky

Ok it does NOT say "out in the sun" it says: Out of the sun, the meaning here would then mean hang for 24-36 hours in a location that is not getting sunlight.

Just encouraging everyone to activily read what is written not what they think they read :S

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I