Viking

Anyone else drooling on the Nikon D2H?

I and reading my new issue of Popular Photography and trying not to make a mess here!!!:$:$

I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anybody got $3200B|B|B|B|

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d2h.asp
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Nice camera but,

I still feel Nikon is playing catchup to canon with the 1 d that has been on the market for quite some time.

Yes the buffer is larger in the Nikon d2h, but canon has improved on this indirectly also. When the 1Ds came out it pushes a 11mega pixel image at 3fps for 10 frames. On the surface, it might not seem like a lot but its pushing a much larger file thru the buffer.

I would like to see some test images of the Nikon's new sensor. I'll go see if I can find some.

My guess Canon will introduce a new model soon inbetween the 1ds abd 10d that is 6mega pixels with a 5+fps for 15-20 frame buffer in the same size camera body of the 10d. Hopefully nor more than $2,000.

This would be a great all around camera. Suiting the needs of skydiving and pro shooters looking for a bump in image quality above the 4mega pixel range.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

I agree that the canon funtionality is really good, but a friend of mine has just bought a Nikon top end digital (F5D or something - I was too busy oohing and aaahing to see exactly what it was!?) and the build quality is second to none.
When they bring the price down I will buy one but saving up all money for my jumping and a new rig this year!
Do you camera fliers get the lightest stills cameras you can? The Nikons are heavy
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Well as camera weight goes, it helps for everyday shooting. For special events or shots, I don't mind extra weight.

Nikon makes great cameras, especially film. When it comes to getting the shot it for film. It doesn't matter what you are shooting, Canon, Nikon, Minolta. Hassleblad, Mamiaya.

Good glass is good glass. Camera bodies are just little lite boxes and film holders. Its the shooter behind the lens that makes the difference.
But digital cameras are loaded with new technology that is redefining the image. Size, quality and speed are the defining point in the digital technology race.

The biggest changes photogs used to look for were in film stock. finer resolution for film speed, better sharper lenes and smarter faster autofocus.

I just dropped some film off to my lab and the printer said that type R paper used for printing slides is getting fazed out by the major manufators. The writing is on the wall. Digital is here to stay for pros if they are discontinuing pro film services.

A while ago with the advent of the rebel camera, with plastic lens mount on the camera body and lense people were worried that it would wear out.

They found it holds up quite well and the plastic bodies hold up better to dents and can be molded to produce stronger structures. They might feel cheap but are easier to maintain and replace parts.

I prefer a heavier camera when shooting on the ground, but my neck likes the lightest possible for freefall.
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

yep, the transition is in motion. rumors have it that Nikon announced that it will stop manufacturing Film cameras. Nikon actually came and denied that rumor, but the rumor has been growing pretty strong since.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

I would like to see some test images of the Nikon's new sensor. I'll go see if I can find some.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond2h_samples/
there ya go.

Couple reasons i want the Nikon over the Canon. I have Nikkor Lens. I have yet to find a company that can make a sharper lens for 35mm format aside from the Carl Zeiss T lens for the Contax SLR's *droooooooool* The D2H has the autofocus systems out of the legendary F5! plus i'm just stubborn
:P
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

hey, good for you. I just bash Nikon digital. Nikon has made lengendary cameras. And lens to match.

I would love to have an F5 just on feel an durability. I just get lost using a nikon. And like I said its the shooter that gets a good shot not the camera.

I would also love to get sequece shots with one of those 8fps cameras in skydiving.
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

The real change in digital will occur when they get a 1 to 1 sensor that is reasonably priced. The whole focal multiplier sucks for our desire for wide angle shots.

It is funny that people are still focusing on megapixel count, while the quality/noise/lens sharpness has surpassed pixel count as the issue to worry about.

Another big issue (for skydiving digital photo) is dirt on the sensor. 120mph is just hard to seal against. Some of the newer cameras are featuring 'ultrasonic dust shakers' which I have yet to hear the verdict on.

My dad has an old D1X, and I can't fathom putting that thing on my head. It would be really nice if someone made a remote battery pack for these.. that would take a few lbs off your head.

j

I and reading my new issue of Popular Photography and trying not to make a mess here!!!:$:$

I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anybody got $3200B|B|B|B|

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d2h.asp

I have shot with this model in studio and it is nice , BUT I would go with canon because of their L glass . Several of my local pro friends have dumped their Nikon systems and went with the EOS system because of Canons glass .

I tried both the Nikon and Canon, and I wish i could go with the D2. I really like the Nikon wide angle stuff. The D2 does seem a lot more responsive but maybe not in every situation. I don't know. Still nice one Nikon, this is a potent peice of equipment.

Mike

from the dp preview website:

Sensitivity • ISO 200 - 1600
• 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV steps
• ISO 1600 can be boosted by one or two stops

I have been keeping my eye on Nikon digital cameras for a while, just waiting for the right one for freefall.

My question for all of you qwho know, is why is the ISO limited to 200? So far I ahve only shot film while in freefall, and I will nearly exclusively shoot 50 ISO Velvia, because I love the color saturation, and also the fine grain for reproductions. With digital, the fineness can be compensated for with the high megapixel, but does the color get compensated somehow?

or, to put it another way, what is the way to achieve the equivalent of 50 ISO film with shooting a digital that only goes as slow as 200?

I have also been looking at the D70, same deal 200 ISO.

thnaks,
jeff agard D-16906

Viking,

I think McGowan jumps the D2h, but it might be the D1 though, I am not sure.
It sure works well for him! The shots I've seen in magazines and in the Bent Prop are amazing.

Switching between camera systems is expensive, if you already have the Nikkor lenses, I would definitely go with a Nikon digital. I already had Canon lenses so the choice for me was easy..

Wait untill the D70 comes out :P

Iwan