headoverheels

Where to get gaffer's tape?

You can easily pick it up locally if you live in LA or New York. ;)

Square One sells gaff tape, but at a price that's quite a bit more than I'd be willing to pay unless under duress.

You might try a local, but well stocked, professional camera store.

On-line, could buy it from HERE for about half of what you might pay elseware. Also, you'll see it comes in a lot more sexy colors than just black. And I might also mention it comes in two different formulas: West Coast for slightly warmer temps and East Coast for slightly cooler temps.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If my gurantee's are wrong... I REALLY guarantee any theater supply store would have it.

_Am

Andy man is right! I spent a day driving around my little city and no photography or music shop had any. I finally found some in a theatrical lighting shop. Actually, not some...they had tons of the stuff in all sorts of colours and sizes.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

anyway i thought it was called gaffer tape or duck tape..

Gaffers tape and Duct tape are two very different things. Duct tape is silver and plasticy, and is primarily used for sealing HVAC ductwork.

Gaffers tape is black and fabricy, and is primarily used on taping colored filters to extreemely hot lights in a theater.

We like Gaffers tape because it comes off clean, compared to duct tape which leaves a residue.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

what AM said plus:
-it's great to hold down cables
-keep thing together you just broke in the field and have no way to repair immediately
-seal leaks in a canoe so you can fish the rest of the day
-not tear paint or wall paper off when removing as duct tape would be sure to do
-it's good to tape up reflective surfaces when you're lighting something so you don't get glare...
there are lots more examples i'm sure. those are just a few i've used them for.
matt

plug plug! ;)

anyway i thought it was called

gaffer tape

or duck tape..

never heard it called gaffers before :)

Yeah. But the guy lives less than an hour away from our DZ, and it was an honest answer to an honest question :$

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

andyman. if you put gaffer(s) tape onto a gel on a parcan (a theatre light) have it working for 5 hours then expect it to come off clean. then you must be smokin funny cigarettes :)
anyway decent lighting riggers use gel frames ;)

anyway i digress
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

Clean is of course a relative term...

At one point, I was using duct tape because it'd just melt onto the light. ;)

I loved that work, I'll have to get back into it someday. Now all my "rigging" is programing websites. Not so much fun.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

anyway decent lighting riggers use gel frames

Absolutely correct, gaff tape was never meant to hold gels on to lighting instuments. CTO on windows, yeah, I'd use it for that. For theatrical work, use metal frames or for fancy-schmancy, electrically controlled gel changers. For TV interviews and other quick temp stuff, use regular wooden clothes pins (aka sometimes as C-47s).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

lol not meaning to hijack but the scrollers we had used to screw up mid show.. it was great having someone crawling along the IWB while the show was on right up near the fly floor. we ended up taking them off and using 3 sets of parcans the following night and the director didn't even realise :)
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?