sunnydee123

Stills from Sony Video Cam to Computer...

What is the most efficient and cost effective way to do this? Can someone make suggestions...I was at the Keys Boogie this weekend and got some great video but not so great stills (view finder was off [:/]). Want to try and capture some from the video.

HELP......thanks a heap!

Since I am here, any recommendations for a nice little first camera?

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Since I am here, any recommendations for a nice little first camera?

Sony ... Sony ... Sony ...

I have the PC120 (which I love), but it's more modern and not cheap. I have a friend who has a PC-9 which does the job and is cheaper than my PC-120. Anything between the PC-9 and PC-120 should do fine.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I assume you are using a SONY camera. You can take stills right from the video as it is playing back by pushing the photo button. The pics will be saved to the Sony memory stick in your camera at around 72 DPI. Nothing great for printing but still useable pictures to remember the moment. You could also run the footage into a computer and capture stills using a editing program but that takes a bit more time and energy than the first method.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

you can do a "photo grab to the memory card. Play the video on the TV, when you get to something you would like a still of press the pause button on the remote control. Then hit the Photo button on the remote control, the photo is then saved to the memory card. You can insert the memory card in the card reader (one came with the camera) and download them to the computer. If for some reason you dont have a memory card reader, you can take the memory card to Walgreens they can print the photos from the card. Just so you know, the quality is not the best but they come out okay

I think Denise is looking for a way to capture her images without using a seperate video capture card installed on her computer. I know images can be captured onto our camcorder's memory sticks, but getting them off of the memory stick is Denise's issue right now. If she has a PC-120, she can always use the BlueTooth feature to email the pics to another email account, but what can she do (minus getting and installing a video capture card) to get her stills off of her camera the cheapest and fastest way? I don't know as I use a video capture card installed on my box. :)

If for some reason you dont have a memory card reader, you can take the memory card to Walgreens they can print the photos from the card.

There you go Denise, this may be your cheapest and fastest answer. But the video capture card works well if this is to become a common occurence (which with you might be the case).

She doesn't have USB on her computer?

The easiest way to get images off the memory stick is plugging the PC120 into a USB slot. The camera gets audetected under XP, but needs drivers installed for 2000.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Thanks everyone...the camera is my guys, who is now away and I don't think he has a memory card (he took it out and gave to pal to print pics a few months ago and never got it back).....I might just run to Circuit City or something and get a new card for him, snag some of my pics and take to Walgreens.

Thanks a heap to everyone for suggestions. FYI...my deal with myself (cause I do weird things like that) is that I will not buy myself a camera until I am solidly on my head. Incentive to get there......

But I'm really hoping that happens in the next few weeks cause xmas bonus is right around the corner and once that is gone - not sure I'll have the cash again anytime soon to afford a camera.....and I WANT TO FLY CAMERA......

OK...have a super day gang!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Thanks a heap to everyone for suggestions. FYI...my deal with myself (cause I do weird things like that) is that I will not buy myself a camera until I am solidly on my head. Incentive to get there..

It's odd how we play these games with ourselves.

For me, a while ago I was in Eloy for easter, and had one particularly bad landing that ended with me literally cartwheeling accross the landing area during a botched cross-wind. When I got back to the packing area, I saw 3 impact points on my helmet, and my vibrantly colored jumpsuit was completely desert brown.

The next day I bought the camera, thinking a good way to avoid botching landings was to strap a few thousand dollars worth of gear to my helmet, that way - well, it'd be real expensive if i did it again.

So far, it's worked...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

:)after Pause,,, use the edit search + - buttons to "dial in" the best possible image..... then put it onto the stick.....
Now.....If it fits into your budget,,, AND if you plan to eventually buy a photo printer anyway..... consider getting one NOW,, and then you don't have to drive to walmarts... or anywhere else... H P makes a pretty good printer which is now around 200 bucks
and which will read images right off your mem. stick... as well as off many other memory media,,,, and then you can print DIRECT,,, without having to cable into the computer... The HP makes 4 x 6
5 x 7 and 8 x 10.... pics... and does them reasonably quickly......This way no capture program,, no computer,,,,, of course then you can't run a shot through Photoshop, or another program,, to "clean it up",,,, but the sony image and memstick
technology may give you a sharp enough pic... all by itself..... good luck... jmy.....p.s. if you buy a memory stick,, go for a larger capacity,,, ( Min. 128mb,, even better 256MB,,,, so that way... you can SAVE your real "keeper" shots,,, for a longer time.....I fit over 150 very high quality shots onto a 256Mb stick,,,,( It can be set to either "A" side which hold 80 or more or " B " side.. which also holds that many,,, give or take for your resolution setting.)..
But without storing your favorites in the computer,,, the only way to print would be direct from the stick,,, so you won't wanna be deleting any of the "best"....
( although you could always, go back to the video tape,, and reload a shot to the stick,,, if you tend to keep all the raw footage from the mini dv tape ) Take that approach,, and you may be able to use a slightly smaller sized stick.....( less cost to buy..) :)..............disclaimer......... the HP printer Model 7550.......makes real nice pictures.... but you will tend to go through ink cartridges,,,, often,,, if you print alot....(especially many many 8 x 10's ). they vary in cost from like 22 $$ to 34 $$$.... although refill kits. may save you a bit.....paper costs are to be considered as well,,, but they are not that bad....

Which OS do you use?
I use XP pro, which allows me to grap pics directly from the video via firewire cabel..
I cant recomend to use thouse pics to much as they usaly are crappy qually(or it might be my old pc2:ph34r::D by 0.8megapixel..ha ha)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

What about the video. Can you download DV through a USB? Do I need to get a firewire card?

The only thing that USB cable is good for is tranferring stills and the tiny video´s you can shoot on your memorystick.

Yeah you need firewire for DV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I use XP pro, which allows me to grap pics directly from the video via firewire cabel..
:ph34r::D by 0.8megapixel..ha ha)

don't you mean you use your USB to grab pics from the camera or you use the Firewire to grab video. Firewire doesn't allow you to grab photos unless it's from the video stream. To get the still photos you have to use the USB cable. sorry, I was just curious as to which one you use.

I think Denise is looking for a way to capture her images without using a seperate video capture card installed on her computer. I know images can be captured onto our camcorder's memory sticks, but getting them off of the memory stick is Denise's issue right now. :)

all she needs to do is use the USB cable that came with the camera. Windows XP will do the rest once the camera is "plugged in". It's very simple and no capture card is needed. Unless her computer is ancient, it's got at least 2 USB ports.