quade

Copyright issues.

Guys, I'm really uncomfortable in discussing how to beat Copyright protections in this Forum. It could lead to a LOT of issues that I don't think any of us want to see.

Obviously you can communicate anything you'd like to in private, but in the Forum itself, let's be gracious guests and not get HH in trouble.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As far as I know, that copy-right only counts when a recordable medium (dvd/video) has no copyrights stated on the medium itself.
When a DVD box says you can not copy it (or get a fine/jail time along with it), you agreed to those terms when you bought it, and thereby MUST comply with the copyright terms...

And although 'backup-copy' sounds nice, 99,9% of the time, it's a backup-copy for a DVD most people don't have the original from anyways B|:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Guys, I'm really uncomfortable in discussing how to beat Copyright protections in this Forum. It could lead to a LOT of issues that I don't think any of us want to see.

Obviously you can communicate anything you'd like to in private, but in the Forum itself, let's be gracious guests and not get HH in trouble.

Well - I am a professor and have the legal right to make copies of portions of copyrighted works for eductaional purposes under the "fair use" doctrine. I recently wanted to copy the 4 minute freefall scene from Point Break for a physics class, but was prevented from doing so by the copy protection on the DVD.

So I'm pissed that my rights are being violated by these schemes. As are a lot of educators.

SO if anyone wants to give me hints about how to go about regaining my rights, I'd be pleased to hear from them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dammit John, 'user cannot recieve private messages'.

I've pm'd you on your "@iit.edu" address, pm me if you can't get it or its out of date, or whatever.....

:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Indeed, I would love to know how to legally practice my rights to sample from DVD's, there's some WFFC footage I'd love to integrate into my year end.

I'm very disapointed that we're not allowed to talk about this here.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm used to the "for sale" year-end type thing... if your's is for personal use, then go for it... probably should have gotten a VHS instead of DVD.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

if your's is for personal use, then go for it... probably should have gotten a VHS instead of DVD.

Yup, a bunch of drunken skydiver sitting around the bonfire, with a 20 foot screen showing off our creations. No profit, no revenue whatsoever. It's tough to get a better example of fair use outside of research.

That said, the fact that I want to take it from DVD over VHS is irrelevant. It's not that I bought the wrong copy, I want a high resolution digital copy, so that means DVD.

Copyright is not cut and dry, nor black and white. As the saying goes, this is not a democracy. That said, if you're going to make a blanket statement "this is not allowed", then you'll get an argument from me.

Now, who here can help me figure out how to legally sample a dvd?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

SO if anyone wants to give me hints about how to go about regaining my rights, I'd be pleased to hear from them.

If you were to do a small search on google.com, I'm certain that you'd have more than enough ideas presented that one of them would work for you.

It actually isn't rocket science to defeat the Copy protection on almost any video signal as long as you're willing to bump down to the analog world.
quade -

As the saying goes, this is not a democracy. That said, if you're going to make a blanket statement "this is not allowed", then you'll get an argument from me.

I think you've misunderstood my position.

I don't -care- what you talk about in private, but my job on this Forum is to protect the web site. Talking about specific methods for defeating the copyright protection schemes of DVDs can bring a lot of grief to this Forum since it gets crawled by web search engines. If it were generally known that this was a place where people could get that sort of advise, then there's a good possiblity of grief coming to Sangiro over the issue.

I'm just trying to stop that before it becomes an issue.
quade -

If you were to do a small search on google.com, I'm certain that you'd have more than enough ideas presented that one of them would work for you.

It actually isn't rocket science to defeat the Copy protection on almost any video signal as long as you're willing to bump down to the analog world.

I am a rocket scientist - didn't help.

My attempt at converting to analog has failed too - there's some scheme on the DVD that makes the analog signal brightness oscillate.

I can read the digital signal into my PC (Premiere) and edit it to take out all the "f*cks" and "sh&t"s so it's suitable for the audience, but then I can't export it back to tape because the protection still kicks in. Wasted hours doing that.

I'll just have to go back to a copy of a VHS version, all grainy and wiggly, and explain to the kids why it is that way.

The irritating thing is that what I'm attempting is perfectly legal.

My attempt at converting to analog has failed too - there's some scheme on the DVD that makes the analog signal brightness oscillate.

That's probably Macrovision. Many DVD players can be hacked to turn it off (for example, my Apex AD-1500). Be warned that intentionally disabling DVD copy protection is a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and could land you in court. Not that anybody would ever find out, unless you start a massive piracy ring or something.

Edit to add: More info for lots of players here.

Why don't you bring in a DVD player and hook it up to a TV? That way you can show it to the class. Most schools have at least a DVD player or DVD capable computer somwhere.

Because I have a bunch of short clips, and that is only one of them. I don't wish to spend a lot of time swapping disks in and out. Also, there's a lot of inappropriate language in the Point Break clip that I've edited out.

Well - problem solved with only minor heroics.

I can read the clip into Premiere, edit out the bad language, export as .mp2 using the Adobe Mpeg encoder, and then burn it to a DVD along with my other clips. I can even copy that DVD to VHS without any funny effects. There is a very small loss in quality, but it's hardly perceptible. I guess that's due to re-compressing it to mp2.

Perhaps I am walking on shaky ground here, but I didn't know that the Copyright Police were monitoring this forum. A question was asked, and an answer was given in regards to this issue. I don't think anyone has the right to censor or remove the post due to the Freedom of Information Act.

Everybody knows copying movies without the expressed written consent is breaking the law. However, do each and every one of you have Expressed Written Permission to use music in your skydive videos? I most likely think not. Unless you are paying a blanket license fee for copyright cleared music, you are breaking the law. AND I REMEMBER SEEING A SIMILAR POST ABOUT WHAT MUSIC WAS USED, AND IT WAS NOT REMOVED!!!!

If anyone is interested in learning about copyright protection and how to deal with it. I can answer the question. And I do not believe that the post should be sensored!

"I don't think anyone has the right to censor or remove the post due to the Freedom of Information Act. "

Okay, I'm not a lawyer, nor am I familiar with this piece of (American, I'm assuming, bear in mind that this is an international site) legislation.
What I do know, and respect, is that HH has the right to remove whatever posts he, or his appointed moderators see fit. They (HH and the Greenies) don't have to maintain anyones post, and they don't have to justify their actions.
See "terms" at the bottom of the page....
"We reserve the right to remove any content or cancel any membership without prior notice and without providing a reason."
Seems clear enough to me.

If Paul is uncomfortable with what people are posting here, at least try and support him in this role, and play fair.

I reckon we maintain a pretty good resource here, and unlike other areas of the site, Paul seldom has to exercise his greenie super powers.
Lets try and keep it that way.

Besides, the original post was about snagging video from a copyrighted source, how would you like it of someone out there was ripping you off......I wouldn't really care, but then again, I'm not relying on any income from my video work to feed my kid, some of the guys out there are.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Just to remind you that there exist legitimate and legal reasons for copying parts of copyrighted works - such as for use in education. I have used parts of Point Break in my class for some years now.

Making it impossible to make such copies spits in the face of the law. Copyright and patent laws are for the benefit of society, not just one segment of it.

Aye John, but that wasn't the intent of the now deleted posts the other day...
Its also why I PMd you with some pointers, any luck with them?
--------------------

Perhaps I am walking on shaky ground here, but I didn't know that the Copyright Police were monitoring this forum. A question was asked, and an answer was given in regards to this issue. I don't think anyone has the right to censor or remove the post due to the Freedom of Information Act.

Maybe things work a little differently up in Canada, but I -can- assure you that the U.S. FBI does, in fact, crawl web sites that trade in this type of information for illegal purposes.

What you do in private conversations is your own business, mine is to protect the web site.

BTW, FOIA only applies to U.S. government documents and even they are censored.

If anyone is interested in learning about copyright protection and how to deal with it. I can answer the question.

That's fine by me.
quade -