quade

Question for newbie camera flyers.

Yellow suit is about to put a pilot chute in your face-silver-directly under you. Get around the formation to the right ASAP (or that's what i'd be thinking.)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I dabble a little with freefall photography when I do skydive... Less than 100 camera jumps. I'll take a shot at it.

I see person with yellow helmet taking grip on what appears to be the leg strap of the jumper closest to you.

Awful close to the PC, which could result in an unwanted deployment, which could ruin your day if you were too close, or on top.:o

Rod

Right answer! I was hoping to test the newbies though. I assume more experienced camera flyers would pick this up rather quickly.

I'm already off the top of them and angled off a bit. If the main were to deploy at this moment it would be interesting, but I think it's going by and not into me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Right answer!

I'm already off the top of them and angled off a bit. If the main were to deploy at this moment it would be interesting, but I think it's going by and not into me.

ya that is about where i fly... ive seen one preemature on the same side as me and i was lucky that is where i was......

very very scary

I took a bite out of my seat when I saw that one.

B|

Hopefully there's experienced camera fliers that haven't almost been killed by non-tracking-pull-in-place-m*therf*ckers, but, unfortunately I've got about three near death experiences from people who said they were gonna track.

Yikes. Nice photo, Q.

Been there before, I was filming 8 way this year, and I have a very steep style of filming, basically Im riding the edge, you know what Im talking about quade im just explaining to people that dont know. The group turns a point and the guy directly underneath me has his pc come out, and his canopy inflated. It took some serious reaction, and flying to keep from him killing me and myself. The worst thing about it, is his peice partner saw the pc coming out and didnt know what to do so he kept turning points. And I learned another thing to look for while filming a team. After I watched the video I dont know how I missed it, but there is a lot going on so it isnt that hard to not see it. I spent a ton of jumps last year freaking, I even started tracking myself at break off last year, cause one of the teams I did some video for, the girl on the team did a hackey check every jump at break off, can you say Oh shit. Definitely for a cameraman, you need to train your team as they need to train you, Point turners never think about the guy above them. One of the best 4way video people in the world Rickster Powell never dumps at break off he finds a hole and then dumps. That keeps him safe, I myself play gunslinger and the second I see breakoff IM outta there.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I think neither Chuck nor Shirley realized the situation.

And stupid me, even though I saw it in the air AND on the video tape I didn't mention it in the debrief! It was only yesterday when I was sorting through the photos that I remembered, "Oh yeah. That could have hurt."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

:)It can be a very thin line... between being in the right place and being in harms' way..
Last year while above a 4 way I spotted someones'
helmet starting to flutter on his head,,,,It was a composite helmet, no facemask,, but a simple chinstrap.... anyway the thing came loose, seemed to hover for a split second, and then as I was sliding away from it, I screamed past it,:o[:/][:/] about within arms' reach...So... pay attention, , anticipate the unusual..
react quickly. it happens instantly.....
jmy

Wow, I would have been getting out of the way QUICK!.. I just started flying camera last year (about 60 camera jumps now). I got the chance this past weekend to shoot an 8-way, and my thinking was at breakoff, watch out for people tracking underneath me, and find a hole (like Rickster).

Just my newbie .02

Ross

Wow, I would have been getting out of the way QUICK!.. I just started flying camera last year (about 60 camera jumps now). I got the chance this past weekend to shoot an 8-way, and my thinking was at breakoff, watch out for people tracking underneath me, and find a hole (like Rickster).

Just my newbie .02

Ross

:),or they don't deploy..>:(
But if as camera, you are moving to the center, you maybe need to think about staying above everyone, (Flying on level or below a skydive is fine and makes for nice footage,,, but as separation altitude arrives, I like to be climbing back above everyone.)
..You can then ease towards the center,,, and even pivot right above someone as they track away beneath you...( makes for a nice slo-mo scene) . Continue moving to the center, and either sight on just one tracker, or rotate in place and get them all.....Should one of your friends, only track for a second or two,,,,,, and pull,,:o,,,well anticipate,;) slide away,,,,( wings and booties are a big help here ) and be sure to
"get a lens" on the offender.....:|.
If people are only tracking for 2 seconds and pulling,,,, they need to begin separation much higher.........
If you are in the practice of videoing jumps from some distance away,,,,, then perhaps,,, if you are not moving hard to the middle, someone could track under you and cause concern..[:/]...So assert yourself come separation ,,, Be sure to let all the jumpers on the load KNOW that you will move to the center...then do it,,, and pull...:)

Hey, thatnks for all the tips... I usually fly just above and to the side (the last jump was using a .3 diamond lens) so the angle is really flat. Next time I will use no wide angle, which allows me to be up higher and get a steeper angle (I can thank Fuzzy for that tip). That also gives me a little bit of room is someone decides to do something nasty like that :S

Hey, thatnks for all the tips... I usually fly just above and to the side (the last jump was using a .3 diamond lens) so the angle is really flat. Next time I will use no wide angle, which allows me to be up higher and get a steeper angle (I can thank Fuzzy for that tip). That also gives me a little bit of room is someone decides to do something nasty like that :S

Without a wideangle, you won't be able to record the grips at exit. Plus you will probably be way too high, if everybody is properly framed. You would be better off bumping the zoom up a little on the .3, to about a .5 or .6 and learning to fly correctly.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to learn framing without a wideangle lens, since you will not be learning to frame exit grips. The hardest part (for me) is nailing a clean exit and getting every grip. The real competition seems to be in how fast points can be turned on the hill, so you want to be able to get those points, and every other one that happens.

I think it would be harder to unlearn a habit created by not using a wideangle.

Here's an idea. Set a beeper to go off 1000 ft before the agreed break off alt. When you hear it, slide away from the burble slightly (5 ft or so, souldn't affect your shot much). Now watch closely, and when the first person drops a grip for breakoff, say goodbye to your pilot chute (quickly). You should be high enough that a little burble during deployment shouldn't hurt, and it gets you out of the way ASAP. Even someone with a two sec. track, after they turn , track, and pull, will be throwing out after your canopy has already opened.

If you don't pull right at break off, or for some reason you can't pull right at breakoff, then you need to go to plan B, which is fly to the center, look around, clear your airspace and dump there.

Yeow! Did Chuck realize what was happening at that moment? :o

ltdiver

Boy I guess, I'll bet he wasn't happy

Spoke with Chuck this past weekend about this and he said he wasn't aware of it happening in the air at all! It wasn't until he saw Paul's picture on this NG that he realized what had happened.

He's a lurker here...perhaps we should flush him out! He's an expert on all kinds of aircraft....plus a member of the 101st.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon