rmcvey

stiletto end cell closure?

why does my stiletto open with end cell closure.?

it had 600 jumps and was re-lined 16 jumps ago.

ive only had it for the past 12 jumps, so cant say if it did it before the reline.

has done it on 9 out of the past 10 jumps, and stays like that until give the back risers a pull.

???

P.S. loaded at 1:3

I load my Stiletto 135 at 1.3 as well, and I get end cell closure on occassions ( like 1 out of 10 jumps) but nothing that I would consider a nuissance.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

why does my stiletto open with end cell closure.?

it had 600 jumps and was re-lined 16 jumps ago.

ive only had it for the past 12 jumps, so cant say if it did it before the reline.

has done it on 9 out of the past 10 jumps, and stays like that until give the back risers a pull.

???

P.S. loaded at 1:3

I think it's the light wing loading more than anything else:

You're wondering why canopy won't open completely... You tug on some controls to get the cells open and your canopy realizes "Oh yeah.. there really IS somebody down there... maybe I oughta inflate." :)
If you want to find out whether or not this really is the case, I'd suggest try wearing 10 - 20 lbs of weight for a hop-n-pop to see if that affects the openings, as long as that's not putting you into uncomfortable wing loading territory.

Chris

I load my 97 at 1.3 and had the same issue, when I got down I was told I need to go smaller. After hitting the guy in the shoulder and laughing at him. I thought about it and he is probably right, while I don't have that issue on my crossfire at 1.2, I had that problem on every other canopy I jumped at 1:1 and lower.

So start drinking more beer. :P

Fly it like you stole it!

I shouldn't even mention this for fear of starting another cobalt bashing thread. I had end cell closure issues on a demo 150. DZO said it was b/c i wasn't loading it enough. I didn't know what to think and he could tell by the look on my face. He then told me to jump his 135. Poof, no more end cell closure. Now i jump a 135 with no problemsB|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

i would say the light wing loading is doing it.

if it's not diving off to one side or the other, then i wouldn't worry about it. you can control it with rears.

hell, i jumped a xaos 27, 78 sq ft @ 2.3 or 2.4 (i can't remember) and i had end cell closure one 2 jumps, now that was odd.

later

I used to solve my Stilleto end cell closures with rear risers.Until one jump, when pulling a rear riser caused a toggle to fire due to friction with

the slider.Spun up quick and low resulting in a cutaway.

Moral of the story, pump toggles to clear end cell closure. Most of the time, the speed gained by releasing the brakes is enough to inflate the end cells.

I load my Stiletto a hair under 1.4:1 and I get closed end cells on about 1 out of every 4 jumps. No biggie as it is always on both ends and the canopy stays on heading.

After the slider has come down I just give a quick tug on the rears to inflate them and I'm ready to go.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I checked the crossports on mine. They are semi-rectangular ovals as well. They don't have to be perfectly circular, they just have to pass air.

However, the fraying could be an issue depending on how severe it is. You may want to have a rigger take a look at them.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™