bunge

broken cameye plug...

its pretty deep. the tip is what broke off and i pushed the plug in all the way before i realized what happened. SUCKS! hate seconding guessing if i remembered to hit record or not a get spoiled by modern toys!!!!!!!!!

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

You'll probably only have one or two shots at getting out and after that you'll be screwed. It'll probably get pushed into the guts of the machine and might short something out.

If it were -me- (and I'm NOT telling you to do this -- I'm just telling you what I might try) anyway, if it were me, I -might- be tempted to straighten a paperclip and place a -minute- drop of super glue on it. Then -very carefully- and without touching anything but the little do-hickey I want to get out, contact it, let it dry for awhile and see if I could pull it out that way.

But that's just me . . . obviously, the procedure is fraught with danger.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So I had that happen twice to my pc-5. Both times I tried a couple of types of extractors and bendy grabby tools with no luck no luck. I had to disassemble the camera both times to remove the broken tip. Also, no matter what you do, make sure the battery is off of the camera when your working on it, and if somehow you push the broken tip in to the camera, don't put the battery back on until you remove it. The fuses on the camera are surface mount and really tiny. Sony does not replace the fuse, they make you buy a whole new board.
good luck!

one guy at my dz had this happen and he used a DRILL to try to extract it. as you can prob guess, he fucked the camera up and had to send it off to sony. (i don't know what the hell he was thinking...)

my cam-eye plug broke and i replaced it with one i bought @ radio shack. this seems to be working fine after well over a year of use.

-tommy

Yah buddy mine did the same thing to me. You have to retrieve it by taking the card completely out of the camera or by ordering a new card. But the bummer thing is that you have to get a new cam eye since it broke off inside and now you only have 2 pins instead of 3

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder

Since this seems to be a common happening, maybe there's a problem with the design of the plug.

Nope.

The problem is how people have their cameras set up, how frequently they couple and decouple the connection and how much stress the generally put on the plug.

The plug is a standard part and works quite well for a number of years without replacement if you take care in the routing of the wire, drilling of the dBox and overall care of it.

I've never personally encountered this particular failure, but I've known a few people that have and it's always been a case where there was some some of extra strain on the plug. Sometimes the plug fails, sometimes the socket fails.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Since this seems to be a common happening, maybe there's a problem with the design of the plug.

Nope.

The problem is how people have their cameras set up, how frequently they couple and decouple the connection and how much stress the generally put on the plug.

The plug is a standard part and works quite well for a number of years without replacement if you take care in the routing of the wire, drilling of the dBox and overall care of it.

I've never personally encountered this particular failure, but I've known a few people that have and it's always been a case where there was some some of extra strain on the plug. Sometimes the plug fails, sometimes the socket fails.

Well, using that reasoning, Italian cars are well designed too - they only break down when people abuse them, like starting and stopping the engine, opening the gas cap more than once or twice, pushing too hard on the gas pedal, etc.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, sorry to revive an old thread, but I sheared off my brand new CamEye II plug in my un-D-boxed camera last summer (must have bumped the plug on climbout, it was bent when I landed. Dumbass me, I pulled it out and stuck it right back in. Habit, I guess.) The camera got real buggy with the plug stuck in it I had a bit more problems than normal, but eventually I got it running. I jumped the rest of the summer with a spare LED-sensor based thing and a lot of gaffers tape. But the plug is still in it, and it is too damn old a camera to bother getting it out.

So here's my reason for posting... Is the emasculated CamEye worth salvaging? Can I get a new LANC plug and splice it on?

Will someone tell me how to do that? Getting ready for the new season is a bit rough... I'm buying a new dv camera (w/ a new lens), a new Digital Rebel XT (with a 'nother new lens), and a new D-box ... oh, and then there's the new line set on my VE and the new audible and new cypres 2 (12 years) and the ...

Can somebody help a brotha' save a buck or two?

I imagine this can't be too hard to do, but I can't remember if the plug is a standard thing I can find at Radio Shack or not...
I can't even remember who makes the things.

Thanks, folks.

I appreciate it.

I had the same thing happen before. From the post, here is what the results were:

I know you all were holding your breath waiting to find out what the conclusion to this dilemma would be. Well, I had Skytools fix the CamEye. That cost me about $20 with shipping to Sweden and it took about 2 weeks. The camera was repaired by a store in Pensacola. The place is John McDowell Electronics. They were great! They charged $65 and had it done in under 1 day. The guy that did it said he took apart the camera to remove the part. If anyone ever has this problem in the future I would recommend them. If you need the contact info let me know.

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Wow, I missed that thread in my search; thanks for the link.

I personally couldn't even find a camera shop in CT willing to take the camera apart for me. The ones that would take it said they'd charge me a flat-rate to "diagnose the problem" and then decide what to charge me (you know, to put it back together again). Hello?? It was pretty obvious what the problem was!

I'm glad you had better luck. Kinda wish I'd read that thread way back when and thought about the potential of this happening... I didn't consider riser strike but I guess that's another possibility, I didn't notice problems with my cameye till I was under canopy. The camera I had exposed the lanc port quite a bit, being right on the part of the camera that sticks out on the right side (by the rec/standby button).

Anyway, Skytools offered to send me a replacement plug and some instructions or have me send the cameye to them ... a credit to them.

I'm gonna use a TRV-17 this summer; I guess the required D-box should prevent this from happening again.

I'm gonna use a TRV-17 this summer; I guess the required D-box should prevent this from happening again.

Valuable lesson learned. Perhaps this time it'll be worth mounting the camera so the LANC port is on the 'inside position' on the helmet, rather than exposed to riser slap?

My video camera's LANC port is on the right side of the camera. That camera is mounted on the left side of the helmet (top mount). My still camera's remote port is on the left side of that camera. Guess where it is on the helmet?...mounted on the right side.

Makes for a little tightness, having both the CamEye II and the Conceptus tongue switch side by side, but it sure protects them from getting swiped off. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I pretty much had it centered on a FTN; not really an overhang or anything... and still not positive it didn't get bumped on climbout.

My new cameras are tiny (to me). Going from a 35mm Nikon 2020 (at like 45 pounds ... or about) to my brand new Digital Rebel XT is sure gonna do wonders for my neck on go-arounds! I can't wait for one, just to realize how good I have it :).

I'm also going with a TRV-17 I talked a family member out of (bought 'em one of those new tiny f'ers from Sony). I hate those new things. I want some damn buttons on my camera. The 17 line was the latest I could find that still had them. Docking Station? Phooey. The 3.5" display ain't bad, either.

The camera I had exposed the lanc port quite a bit, being right on the part of the camera that sticks out on the right side

Sorry. I read this and believed that you had one of those lovely overhangs we see sometimes. :S

Yeah, I completely agree with the 'I love the old line of Sony's' story. I would have kept my TRV8 if it weren't for the fact it was completely worn out. The TRV22 isn't bad, but still has that annoying touch screen you have to play with.

Going from a 35mm Nikon 2020 (at like 45 pounds ... or about)

45 pounds! :o You know what they say about the size of a man's neck.... How -you- doin'? :)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon