Deuce

How do you attach your flash to your helmet?

I'm going to add a 550EX into my camera mix. Those of you that use a hot shoe flash, how do you attach it to your helmet?

REAL men hold it in their teeth;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Dude, it's like 10:40 where you're at, unless you're wearing a turban and posting on a military sattelite uplink.

Go to f*cking bed.

Teeth are for bayonets. Not bayonet mounted lenses and stuff.

(I think I have our balloon wingsuit jump figured out)

Christ Almighty this is gonna rock.

Dude, it's like 10:40 where you're at, unless you're wearing a turban and posting on a military sattelite uplink.

Go to f*cking bed.

Teeth are for bayonets. Not bayonet mounted lenses and stuff.

(I think I have our balloon wingsuit jump figured out)

Christ Almighty this is gonna rock.

Dude, all you have to do is capture it on film. I don't care if you rent a plane and fly around me. You know the deal, when your the camera man you call the shots on how you capture it...just make sure i look good;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

for myself I install a 420 ex on a flat top pro I bolted the shoe from the extension cord on the helmet and I make a bracket from a 1/8 thick aluminium plate this bracket big square G inverted so the flash his monunted on the shoe then strap on the bracket, that make it a bit hight but you clear the still camera from it,

on my helmet it's just beside my d-box and just a bit lower

just make sure i look good

You got that full-face Sidewinder, right?

OK, then there's at least a chance....:ph34r:B|

I'm not planning on bringing that but rather my new RAWA camera helmet so you can see me laughing at you as you try to keep up:D.

DUDE, I'm telling you, go to Home Depot and get your self a roll or two of good old duct tape and start taping that mutha down to the side of your helmet. A lot cheaper than buying a whazoo bracket, drilling your helmet, scrapping your knuckles in the process and maybe putting a drill bit in your hand during the process:D Stick with KISS and it's all goody in the hoody my man.;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It's definitely gaffer tape for this voyage. But I'm gonna get me a Bat-rack and weld me up a supercoolio modified Stroboframe QR plate for it. I just want to see some other examples.

I did get a good suggestion to velcro it down the the L bracket where my video camera is, but then I'm not shooting video too, and baby, I want it all!

If you mount the flash to a hot shoe on top of the helmet, make sure you support the top of the flash. I broke my SB28 at the hotshoe after MANY jumps with it like that as the top was only supported with shock cord. That is my favorite way to mount it, that way you can still get to all of the buttons at anytime. I now have to mount on the side and the buttons are not as easy to get to. Any flash I have ever seen, the hot shoe mount is all plastic and not very strong. Think of it only as the base for the whole thing, the actual strength should come from somewhere else. Just trying to save you the hassle of breaking a flash.
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

Thank you Tony. I exchanged some PM with Quade, and that hot shoe attachment doesn't even look like it could take a head down skydive if that was it.

Your comment about getting at the controls is appreciated. I think the way to go may be a flat bracket that goes around the sides. I'm advantaged to have access to a master machinist who will fabricate something like this for me.

I wish there was a base like I had on my F3. I think that was the only shoe base that would have stood up to the wind.

Thanks.

I have a 550EX, but I don't jump it. If I were going to mount it though, I'd probably just rotate the flash head up and gaff tape it to the helmet. You could tape it so you would have access to all the controls as well. You may also want to consider a 540EZ or something even cheaper. The 550EX has a lot of bells and whistles you won't need for jumping unless you want to buy 3 and attach them to other jumpers and fire them simultaneously with yours as the master (hmmmm, could be interesting).

DUDE, I'm telling ya, get the 100mph tape out and get jiggy with it. It's the cheapest method and probably the most durable over a short period of time until you can get you a titanium plate put in your skull with a hotshoe on it:D

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I exchanged some PM with Quade, and that hot shoe attachment doesn't even look like it could take a head down skydive if that was it.

Yeah, I think any mount based on the security of the hot shoe attachment point itself would be highly questionable.

I'll probably to mount it with the unit "flattened" and horizontal onto a StroboFrame bracket. But honestly, this is kinda low on my list of priorities right now.

If for some reason that I had to take a freefall flash shot right now (lot of cash would work) , I'd probably bungy and gaff it to the side of my TRV dBox with the knowledge that it'll probably get ripped off if something bad were to happen like a riser strike.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I could swear I've seen OB use a lot of different set ups depending on what he's doing with everything from video, still and strobe with a turbo pack to just a still and a strobe.

I think for the cover shot on this month's Parachutist he used a minimal set up. Taking the PC camera off his Shark-fin mount and replacing it with the 550EX.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver