murrays

Why You Should Buy SONY!

One of the local skydivers just got back from a trip to Zephyr Hills. While there he bought a Sky Systems helmet, stuck his PC-9 in it and went up for a skydive...and forgot to do up the chinstrap! As his helmet floated off at about 11,000 feet he was thinking, "Man am I dumb!"
He landed and went out looking with another guy. After about 45 minutes they found the helmet next to the runway. My buddy picked up the helmet, turned the camera switch to off and then to camera again. It beeped and shut down due to low battery. He took it back to the dz, put a fresh battery in it and it started up just fine. So, he rewound the tape, watched the video of the 11,000 foot freefall, impact and the 30 minutes it took for the battery to run down while it lay on the ground.
His helmet is fine and the PC-9 seems fine. Pretty amazing!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The one with the PC1 turns off in the middle of freefall doesn't it ? I thought it did... or maybe it just gets spinning too fast to see anything. I can't remember.

I would love to see that video from recently as well ! That is so awesome that it survived the impact. It must have landed JUST right.
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Earlier this summer, one of our videographers lost his Flat-top Pro, along with his PC9, on opening. The helmet went into the woods and after several days of searching, he was unable to find it. About 4 months later, one of the locals shows up with the muddy, battered helmet. Apparently, he was walking in the woods when he heard a beeping sound. He followed the beeping and found the helmet half-buried. Turns out that the battery on his Time-out audible was low and began beeping. Upon inspecting the helmet, it looked pretty bad. The camera was top-mounted with no protection. Hoping to recover the footage, we opened the camera and removed the tape and let both dry for several days. The footage from the tape was pretty incredible. The most incredible part was that after 'bouncing', the camera kept recording for 45 minutes until the tape ran out. The biggest shocker was that not only did the camera power up, but it worked flawlessly. It played and recorded just fine, and the the touchscreen still worked like new. Considering this camera went in at ~100mph, and then sat in the rain, snow, and freezing temperatures for 4 months, I couldn't believe the thing still worked fine. Needless to say, Sony camcorders rock!!!

Man, that's funny! Buy you said the helmet got out at 11,000 but I see a canopy inflating right when the helmet took off. Also, where's the landing?

I haven't gotten a copy of my friend's footage yet, the clip you checked out was somebody else's. Will try and get a copy over the weekend.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Unfortunatle, somtimes a cameras freefal to the earth below is instant death. My camera buddy had to cut away his helmet and lost his TRV. Not really protected by a box. Found it later and it was totaled!!. wow, if that had been his head.......

But Sony does ROCK!!
Que sera sera

That sucks that other people's PC9s are falling from the middle atmosphere and still working, and mine goes 45 days out of warranty, and starts acting up. And Sony wants almost $300 to look at it and fix it...

:(

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

Have a similiar story myself. My helmet chin strap came lose after a freefall collision. After establishing that both parties were okay, we quickly tracked off. The air got under my helmet and lifted it off. I helplessly watched it quickly slow down above me out of my reach. Only had a vague idea of where it landed and a search with some friends failed to find it. A local farmer found it a few weeks later in a muddy field and it was eventually returned to me. The ProTrack was still attached and functioning and I was able to download and determined the helmet struck the ground about 50mph! The PC1, which was in a D-box, still functioned and the attached stills were retrieved from the tape! The camera pointed up and the helmet started to spin as it fell so apart from the few initial shots, the rest of the footage contains a rotating sky and canopies until the camera switches off on impact.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

Perhaps dropping it from altitude would fix it?... I'd recommend progressively higher altitudes, though. Don't just try it from 11 grand, maybe start with 5 or 6 feet, and go higher bit by bit, 'til you find the correct altitude that fixes your particular problem. Unless, of course, each camera is only good for one fall. In that case, take it as high as you can and drop it, since the higher altitudes also include all of the altitudes below it. In the Navy, we called it "percussive maintenance."

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

for sure. do it with a proposal for users stories pitch for a t.v. ad and maybee promise to send them the footage, do testimonials etc once the palm is nice and greasy free cams and a grand sounds about right

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

You have GOT to get a copy of that helmet going in.

I got a copy of the video and burned it onto DVD for my friend. He is going to send it to Sony marketing department. I have a Quicktime file to post but am going to wait until he hears back from Sony....the value might go down if it is all over the internet. It is pretty funny!
--
Murray

At long last, here is the video of my friend;s camera going in at ZHills last winter. I apologize for the file size..18.7 mb. I also forgot to set it up to stream so you'll likely have to wait for it to finish downloading before playing. If you frame by frame it near the end, you'll see it fall by canopies just before impact. Quicktime needed to view.
--
Murray