murrays

Lots of new Mac Upgrades

Apple announced a bunch of new upgrades to existing "i-apps" at MacWorld San Francisco. iDVD3, iMovie3, iPhoto3 all enhanced and really have a lot of handy integration features making it very easy to use material from one app in another.
They also announced a version of Final Cut Pro called Final Cut Express that is optimized for dv editing. Looks like it has pretty much all the capabilities of FCP except off-line RT editing and handling all the formats FCP can handle. At $299 US a pretty reasonable price for what appears to be a professional level program.
New Powerbooks, including a top-end model with a 17" diagonal screen...yep, 17 inches! The same screen as the 17" flatpanel iMac. Comes with a Superdrive for burning DVDs.
Also announced a very small Powerbook with a 12" screen that can also be ordered with a Superdrive.
Firewire800 on the 17" model (twice as fast as Firewire).
802.11g Airport stuff for wireless networking at 1.54 mps.
Anyway, you can check it all out at Apple's web site.
I'll be getting the iApp upgrades as soon as they are available and maybe even Final Cut Express. The iMovie/iDVD improvements are well worth the cost of $49 US.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

And once the standerd gets finalized it looks like 802.11g has to be 100% backwards compaitible with 802.11b. Nice since its just mainly a firmwareupgrade on some of the newer 802.11b Access points so it might be very soon having wireles broadband.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks Quade for setting straight my faulty numbers...the new Airport stuff is way faster than the current Wi-Fi and backwards compatible.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It fits in with the iBooks pricewise at $1,799 and a Superdrive equipped one for $1,999 seems pretty reasonable...only $200 more than with Combo drive. I'm really anxious to get the updated iApps as I'm not in the market for a new computer anytime soon, having bought a flatpanel iMac in June.
--
Murray

Just out of curiousity, how many Mac users are on OS X?
What is keeping you from converting if you aren't using X?
I'm on Jaguar and really like it.
--
Murray

A lot of businesses (including the university department that I do IT stuff for) aren't switching for a variety of reasons:

- Familiarity - Users are familiar with the "classic" Mac OS interface, and have been using it for 10+ years in many cases.
- Cost - Apple isn't just handing out copies of OS X.
- Performance - Many of the apps that we use haven't been ported to OS X, so users will actually see a performance hit because they will be running Classic all of the time. Even if there is a port available, we can't afford to relicense all of our software to the OS X version.
- Maintainence - The IT staff has to learn all of the quirks of a new system.

Other than "it looks pretty," we haven't been able to find a good reason to deploy it. In fact, the only OS X box in the department is on my desk ;)

Many of the same reasons apply to home users, especially the issues of familiarity and cost. Also, your average home computer user is probably a little nervous about installing a whole new OS.

Our company's new G4 has OS X, the graphics person who works on it likes it well enough
-- but --
We have had to keep/load OS 9 as well because some of the older peripherals were not supported ie. Agfa Scanner, tape drives etc. and the tech people could not get the drivers (or some tech thing like that[:/]) to work.

Some day when I'm old enough, they may let me play with the DVD burner and software on it;)

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Other than "it looks pretty," we haven't been able to find a good reason to deploy it. In fact, the only OS X box in the department is on my desk ;)
Many of the same reasons apply to home users, especially the issues of familiarity and cost. Also, your average home computer user is probably a little nervous about installing a whole new OS.

Yep, cost of software is a big barrier to changing no matter what the platform. I only use my machine for video, photos, music, web-surfing and e-mail and the only application I've paid to upgrade to an OS X version is Photoshop Elements. Everything else I've needed for my core needs is included. (iMovie, etc, etc.)
I find OS X - especially Jaguar to be a great OS and way better than OS 8-9. I think it's been well worth the cost of the upgrade(s).
So, how come you managed to find a "need" for your Mac in your department?:)
--
Murray

So, how come you managed to find a "need" for your Mac in your department?:)

No real good reason. We had a copy of OS X laying around for evaluation purposes, and we had a spare G3. Plus, I figure that we'll start using it someday, so I might as well learn it now.:)

The 802.11x wireless protocols have very high latency issues. As such, they are generally unsuitable for any sort of streaming data or other services needing good QoS controls.

Personally, I've found exactly the opposite. 802.11 plays data intensive games like Quake beautifuly. While I haven't used it for video yet, I do use it regularly for a slew of other applications requiring low latency, and have never had problems. While I can understand latency being higher then wired ethernet, I can't imagine it being higher then wired ethernet + (dsl or cable)

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It's definitely less consistent than wired Ethernet (as well as much slower). The 802.11a products offer more potential speed than the 802.11b, but it is even more sporadic in turnaround and ping times than the slower "b" - and has a shorter range. The difficulty with streaming data (such as Voice over IP and video or broadcast over IP) is in the sporadic/unpredictable performance of these devices. Most of this comes from bounced/echoed signals that comes with omnidirectional transmitters/recievers in the access points and wireless LAN cards. There are point-to-point transceivers that don't have this condition that work extremely well, but then you can't roam around the house with your laptop (as I am now).

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

802.11b (original version of AirPort) isn't -quite- fast enough to support DV25 transmission (the full FireWire signal from a miniDV tape).

However, it's more than capable of supporting a fairly high quality Mpeg-4 stream. I was just fooling around with that last night in my house. Hooked up the iMac to a Hollywood A/D converter and hooked that into the satellite dish. Using QuickTime Broadcaster I was then able to roam around the house and watch the satellite video where ever I wanted to using my iBook!

802.11g (AirPort Extreme -- just released from Apple) -should- be capable of supporting full DV25 transmission. Only time and testing will tell.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The key we should be looking for with DV25 is the inclusion of "WhiteCap" technology. It has true QoS capabilities and handles like-frequency interference much better than the standard protocols. WhiteCap is commonly referred to as 802.11e. The "e" is not a different standard than "a" or "b" - simply the same protocols made better. While "g" offers slightly higher speed potential (than "a"), it does not have the abilities to handle interference and QoS issues necessary for streaming video.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.