konradptr

Anyone have problems with Premiere???

I've been having a lot of goofy problems with Premiere lately. First, it would be going through the timeline like it should in preview, and then it would just randomly race through until the end from a random place, at about 4x faster than it should. Then, I finished my video, and tried to export it to tape, and it just freaks out every minute or so, and inserts a bunch of random pixels or a gray or blue screen for those ~2 seconds... WTF, anyone have any ideas, or is this just a part of Premiere? PS I am doing this on a P4, 256k RAM etc, maybe more ram, but it seems like I've done ok on the other computer that is far less powerful...

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

Which version of premiere are you using. If it's 6.0, there's a patch (6.01) that should correct the really fast playback problem that you experienced. As far as freaking out while exporting, huh, well... That's something that I tried to figure out for nearly a year at one point. Now, important question... Are you using Win XP? I bet you are. IN addition to using XP, I'm going to assume the chipset on your mother board is VIA... This is a baaadddd combination. I have two machines. Home PC is ABIT mother board with via chipset, AMD athlon 900 and about 750 megs of ram (running win XP). There's NO WAY that I can export from the machine without getting blocky blue screen and other crap. My other systrm is a sony vaio laptop with intel chipset. This thing exports NO problem whatsoever. So, you have a couple options. What I do now, is just transfer my completed files to the laptop to export them. I dont think you want to buy another computer though. So, what I did before I had the laptop... Make a seperate partition on your hard drive, and install win 98 on it. You may have to uninstall XP and install win 98 first, then XP. The,. work on your project within XP if you like it, and when it's time to export, boot your system up in 98 and export from there. There are also alot of other things you can to to increase the performance of your system for DV. You can even check out adobes site for tips on how to do that.
Hope this helps.
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

There's a very good discussion board thingie here.

[url]http://www.computervideo.net[url]

Follow teh links to the 'self help board'

For anyone having hassles with computer editing, whether its with Premier, Avid, ULead, etc

It also covers patches tweaks fixes etc....I'm prepared to bet if youare having problems, whether hardware or software driven, somebody on the above forum can help you.....

Happy editing.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Brandon, my bad....I keep directing Premiere and general NLE (non linear editing) probs to this site, guess it slipped thru....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

So anyone out there have any experience with Premiere and Avid? I like using Premiere, but am kind of pissed about this little detail- not exporting it back into the camera!!! My parents have a desktop that would be ok, but I don't have a firewire card, and don't want to pay to put one in... I would just as well use Avid, but don't know how hard it is to use, etc... Anyone have any experience with both???

My buddy from HS is in the communication business for CBS and he uses Avid and has bought it for his own film work for himself. He uses the new Avid 3.5 with Power pack. From what I hear, it is pretty much the same setup and works the same as Premiere (and Apple's Final Cut Pro to a point). If you want to shell out all the money for it, than I'm sure you'll like it and figure it out. However, I would try some other stuff for your Premiere.

Have you thought about a possible conflict with the FireWire card? Have you switched it out for another brand? You can probably buy a cheap one somewhere and try that. Also, read through the "readme" file for possible conflicts with your card (or camera for that matter).

Let me know!
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

FreeFlyAnvil is right... XP on a Via chipset exporting will almost always have issues under Premiere 6 or 6.5. I had to go back to 5.0 to get it to work right... Finally said screw it and started using Studio 8 and have'nt had an issue since.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>FreeFlyAnvil is right... XP on a Via chipset exporting will almost always have issues >under Premiere 6 or 6.5. I had to go back to 5.0 to get it to work right... Finally said >screw it and started using Studio 8 and have'nt had an issue since.
I really like premiere alot (especially 6.5), so I was pretty set on making SOMETHING work. I finally just installed win 98 on a seperate partition, and used it only for exporting. Adobe, microsoft, and the via dudes ALL know that there's issues, but they ALL just point fingers at each other instead of working together to make a fix for the problem.
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

I ran 6.0 under the 815 and 850 (Both Intel) chipsets flawlessly (Windows 2000). I have gone through many unstable/aggravating configurations over the last 5 or 6 years. Mostly what it has taught me is that the manufacturers and software people have already done most of the frustrating work. Recommended configurations almost always cost more than the "value" systems, but pay considerably in time/frustration saved. My first rock-solid Pentium based editing system was a 440BX dual-processor, with NT4.0 (before then - you couldn't pry me away from my Mac). I used only tested components and was shocked at the stability and performance. For the money I had invested, I could not believe what I had. I put it up against much more expensive Macs and smoked them. It was a landmark for me in regards to editing computers and a turning point for many of my customers.
I presently run a P4/850 chipset, 1GB RAM, Windows 2000, and here's a shocker - 160GB of ATA drives (non-SCSI!). The drives are 8MB buffered A/V drives, so they cost just a tad more than typical U133 drives. The 800MHz RAM screams - 1066RAM is still problematic. I have both a DVD1000 real-time card, and a 3-port Belkin 1394 card. Both run seamlessly on this configuration with Premiere 6.5 and Avid 3.0 w/Powerpack. I will go to Avid 3.5 when I change to XP Pro. There are still stability issues with XP and some of my CODECs (especially Corona) - so, again, the name of the game is reliability.
If you are editing for fun, and want to use your existing hardware: I like Studio 8. I've seen it in action. It is more intuitive than Premiere, seems to be more broadly compatible and considerably cheaper.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Ed,
I use my roomates computer right now but it is old (I think P2 333). I bought a 1394 card for it but had issues with droped frames due to the fact that the hard drive was too slow. I have been using it to learn Premier by making mpegs of video on the camera memory stick and bringing them into the computer via USB. Quality sucks, but it has given me a chance to learn a bit about Premier.

I am considering upgrading my wifes computer to make it suitable for editing. What motherboard and chipset should I get in order to avoid the conflicts you mentioned in your above post? Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Skydive Radio

It really depends primarily on the capture card you are planning to use. Most of my experience with RT (real-time) cards is in the Pinnacle line. If you don't need RT editing (you are looking at a huge jump in $$$ going to RT), then many of the basic 1394 cards will work just fine with a broader compatibility. Historically the Intel processors are less problematic, and more stable. They cost more than the AMD's for equivalent processing power, but worth it in a build-your-own scenario. I have come to prefer the Intel motherboards for a solid-stable system. I have used an ASUS motherboard for a recent build, however, and was more than pleased with the end result. It used the same 850 chipset I have been utilizing with the Intel branded boards, but had some nice BIOS level "tweaking" that was very easy to use and upped the total system output by a nice little margin. The system is used for editing and for serious gaming - the benchmarks were enough to make the customer giddy.
If you are looking for a robust solution, with the smallest geek factor, I'd go with the Intel 850EMV2 line of mobo's. There is the "R" option that includes support for 1066 memory. If you opt for the R, understand that 1066 memory still has issues. You can still put 800MHz memory on these boards, though. This line has USB 2.0, and LAN included. It is the ONLY mobo that has not had problems with the "extra" USB ports. Even the ASUS had some strange problems with devices connected to the front panel USB ports. Buy a retail boxed version of the Pentium 4. The 2.53MHz is pretty much the sweet spot per dollar, right now. Two 256MB RIMMs will give you enough memory to do most anything, and leave room for two more sticks later. Go for the WD "Special Edition" 7200RPM drives. One for the system, and one for capture. By far the best value in drives suitable for an edit machine.
From here, it's a real mix of power and value considerations. I have helped a friend set up an editing/gaming machine with a Creative Labs sound card that has a 1394 port included. It works great with Windows 2000 and XP. I have likewise set up a system with the 1394 port included with the video card (ATI 8500DV) which worked just fine with Windows 2000, but had issues under XP. If you price out the standard parts (mobo, processor, hard-drives, memory, CD-ROM or -RW or DVD-RW, floppy, and a good case w/320 watts minimum) and decide on which operating system you prefer, then figure out how much is left in your budget, I'll give you some recommendations on capture cards, video cards, sound cards, and software to finish out your system.

An RT card typically does one or two things. The first thing it does is reduce render times. This simply will allow crossfades/dissolves, without waiting for the computer to render those changes. Other transitions and 3-D effects may be included, also, but cuts and cross-dissolves are (or should be) about the only transitions you will use constantly. Some will allow RT titling (higher end) and others will encode MPEG as you are capturing. If you have captured with the DV CODEC and rendered a project to MPEG (for VCD/DVD), then you know this is a very time consuming process. These higher-priced cards are a must for professional types, but not for the casual user.
Waiting for a render is usually a good opportunity for a beer run.

So since I am lazy, and looking for the easiest alternative... Is there a way to get Premiere 5.0 to work with my PC9 for exports? Kind of like working in 6.5, and then opening 5.0, bringing in the timeline, and then sending it out? This really would be a lot easier if Adobe and everyone else would solve this chipset problem that I cannot even begin to understand....

>It might be worth a try. You can try opening the ppj file in 5.0 and see what happens. >Capture all of your footage in 6.0/6.5 first, of course.
I think it may be better if you rendered the project first(6.0/6.5), then instead of opening the ppj. in 5.0, you could just import your rendered video (avi) into 5.0, drop it in the time line, then export to tape/print to video.
I think I read above somewhere, that you had only a small glitch every 45 sec or so?? If that is the case, then it sounds like you may be able to do some stuff to sort everything out. I think we'd need the specs and configuration of your system though? My problem was really severe, and it was blue screen/squares for like, 90 % of my exporting. I DID have some small glitches and stuff on my laptop, but they were fixable with some tweeking.
Vid

The popular compression codecs used for AVI (and other types) aren't "lossless". You always lose a bit of data. The more times you run a compression codec on a piece of video the more distorted it will become.

It's best to keep a master non-compressed copy of the file on disk drive or DVD-R and use that for any editing tweaks.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™