jtval

Need help with cam...

Hey everyone,
I am begining to research the possibilties of getting a camera(and helmet)

I will probably have 1,000,000 questions. I wanna thank you all for helping, in advance. here's the thing. In a few months I will be getting reimbursed what i believe to be enough $$ to get a helmet cam!

but I have NO idea about the quality of those on the market. I want to get sopmething SMALL and with high resolution(DUH)
Does anyone have any suggestions...
it would also be helpful to post any safety issue here too. like I said I may have alot of questions but I am not going to buy the thing tomorrow. I hope to have the $$ around dec-february time frame! so that gives me some time to research. thanks for all sugesstions comments and concerns!
My photos

My Videos

Do yourself a favor and buy a Sony. Both the PC and TRV modles have similar features and take great quality video. PC = Side mount configuration, TRV = Top mount configuration. There are many different opinions on side vs top mount. Personally I prefer top mount, but you will need to decide what your prefrence is. Sony is the most supported brand when it comes to buying your helmet and extras. I jump a bonhead Optik with a D-box and a cameye2. It is a super clean system and very light weight. If you do a search in this forum you will be able to find a ton of information on different cameras/helmets/mounting options/sights etc. Good luck.

Skydive Radio

Im almost finished getting all my camera gear together I went with the Sony PC 100 and a Hawkeye helmet. I spent the money on a Findley ring site and a cam eye. Im pretty happy with the way it fits Ive used the cam alot off the helmet while playing with my 3yr old son. The rest of its still in the closet, I had the money so I spent it on the gear but I really dont feel like I have enough jumps to be strapping a camera to my pumpkin yet. I refuse to hurt myself or my friends maybe in about 75 more jumps Ill think about it. I recommend the Sony though I let you know about the rest latter!

I bought a PC-120, and mounted it on a Skydance Velocity helmet.

The helmet was one of the less expensive freefly/camera helmets, and the pc-120 is the high end of the pc series.

I don't regret paying extra for the 120. The digital stills it takes are great, the clarity of the video looks great on my HDTV system at home.

The bluetooth on the pc120 is still not practicle due to the lack of compatible devices, but the quality of the still and moving pictures is fantastic.

The alternate to the PC120 is the PC101. You can get the PC120 for $1400, and the PC101 for $900. The price difference is significant.

For the extra $500 you get a bigger lense, which means more light getting into the camera. You also get a larger CCD. The CCD is the digital equivalent of "film". It's the photo-receptive chip that transforms light into bits. Have a bigger CCD is the same as having a larger format of film, it'll capture more light giving a higher quality of picture. You also get the bluetooth, which is pretty much a non-feature for now.

There have been reports that the bluetooth is incompatible with many other bluetooth devices.

My thoughts on the Skydance Velocity is that it does the job. The standard PC series sidemount is actually a swivel base, which makes it easy to change the set up for freeflying or RW. There's a top mount platform available for a still camera, as well. Skydance has a full suite of accesories for the helmet. www.pia.com/skydance/velocityaccessories.htm

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am now putting together my third camera rig. I shot a chingo tandem vids and a bunch of four way. I plan on shooting more 4 way and want to start shooting more freefly as well.

The things I have learned are this:
1) Spend the mony - if you but either a cheap helmet or a cheap camera you will replace it pretty fast. I started out with JVC and a ultra light helmet. They both sucked. My second set up ( a damn good one ) was a sony dcr trv 17 on a batrack with a rebel G 35 mm slr. Great combo. My next is going to be a Bonehead flattop pro and a trv 27 plus a rebel 2000.

2) Needs a LANC jack - for a cameye ii. These things can be life savers.

3) Try before you buy - make sure you look at and try on everything before you buy it.

4) Ask - the best advice I have ever gotten has been from the likes of Gordo, Sessions, Whit, Will, and the like. People who have experience have the greatest tips not only on gear but on the very art of freefalll videography not to mention the relevent safety issues.

Hope that helps, probably doesn't.
Drewfus McDoofus

Ive got a PC9 top mounted on a ProTek type helmet with a chin cup (Sky Dance? Sky Systems? One of those). Canon Rebel mounted on an L plate on my forehead.

At any rate, its worked very well for me and it wasnt super expensive.

One thing I would probably change is to get the TRV type Sony for a top mount. It isnt really THAT much lower profile, but every little bit helps. I had a guy just the other day slam the door of the Otter open hard enought to bend my roll cage when it hit the top of my helmet.

I dont like side mounts because of the way it feels off balance on my head plus the greater possibility of a riser strike or catch.

Eventually I'll probably go to a flat top of some sort. I hear Bonehead was going to do ao narrow version of the flat top. I'll take a hard look at that one.

Till then I'm quite satisfied with my little setup. And the customers and 4 way teams seem happy as well. Thats what counts.

JC

I fly a sidewinder1 with a pc-1...I dont suggest a ring sight unless you are shooting stills..after a few jumps you will know where you are shooting and its one less hazard to worry about. you can always put a little dot on your goggles to know more where you are shooting. with the sidewinder there is a lense and I have been contimplating a sight, but if I did get one I am going to try to incorporate the lens itself or put the sight inside the lens...just remember that ringsights can get you better shots sometimes, but can get you into alot of trouble also... not to preach or anything, but I just dont want to see anyone else get hurt... especially when new to the video side (which I am also)

I got a great deal on mine setup used, I prefer the sidemount...I have flown a couple top mounts and you have to be careful exiting (especially with a small door) not to catch it and knock your camera off on exit. what do you plan to do with it?? tandem video...freefly..aff..4way??? that could also help determine what kind of system you want. most freefliers wear sidemounts...I do tandem and aff and occasionally 4 way (mostly freefly though) and its working great for me....try to find something that is comfortable and that your can ditch in a hurry...
well thats my 11 cents ;)

-yoshi

yoshi,

i've got a sidewinder o2 w/ a pc9 (used to jump a pc1.) i use a piece of electrical tape or gaffers tape on my visor as a 'sight'. works great.

one of the guys @ my home dz used to jump a sidewinder w/ a pc7 and he drew a 'frame' on his visor to indicate the frame view on the camera. very cool, but too much of a pain in the ass for me to do. :)

-tommy

lew monster has a frame drawn on her goggles...seems to work good since she gets some pretty nice footage. I think I am going to get a new lens for my sidewinder and put a mark on it... have fun everyone!
-yoshi