Kirils

words of wisdom please

I'm a newbie to camera flying. i just purchased a PC-1 and a Bone Head camera helmet with a side mount plate. Do I need to install a ring site? Should I get a cover for the camera?
(I can't afford $180.00 for the fiberglass Bone Head one) I'm worried about snags, is gaffers tape enough? I would appreciate any advice, this is really foreign to me.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

What do you want this camera to do for you? Generic freefly home videos, 4-way RW team camera, school & tandems?
Every helmet needs just slightly different things in order to get the job done.
A generic freefly set up might not need a ring-sight at all and might want to be left fairly exposed so that you can show-off your video in the packing area -- just flip out the screen and you're golden.
A 4-way RW team set up almost requires a ring-sight and I'd recommend getting a good one. Probably doesn't need room for a still camera, but -may- require room for a -second- video camera.
Students and tandems require both stills and video and you may want to add on a ring-sight just to help make the shots a bit better.
BTW, if you can't afford a d-box for your camera, then you might run out of cashola when it comes to a bunch of other little do-dads you're also going to need. Extra batteries, tapes, switches, lights, camera suits . . .
Start saving your pennies now -- camera flyin' ain't cheap skydiving.
quade
http://futurecam.com

No kidding it aint cheap.... 1330 for a camera, 75 on DV tapes in 5 WINTER months, 100 on a battery, 55 on a .50 lens, 175 on the Dbox, 175 on the bonehead, 30 on the chin up = $1940 on my head and I' don't have a cameye or any goodies yet....
I personly like the good old paper reinforcement ring on the goggles for freeflying sights....
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

I wouldn't recommend a ring site for students. You can fly a lot closer than 4 way. All you need to do is to train your self to move your head instead of just your eyes. A good trick to do this is to go out and buy a pack of paper hole reinforcements (little circle shapped stickers). For a little over a buck you will have a life time supply. Find out where you need to look and then but it on your googles. This will help you learn to not move your eyes away from the student.
William

Sony TRV-30 - $1700
Bonehead Optik - $295
Bonehead D-Box - $175
Cam-Eye 2 Switch - $55
Pack of DV tapes - $30
Ability to post pictures of your friends biffing landings on the internet - PRICELESS! (see attachment)
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|

Thanks! I'm just trying to film freeflying with my wife.
( have a new Para-mount Super Lite duel camera system I'd swap for a hard cover for my PC-1)
I know it's not cheap to get set up. I thank you all for your input; it really keeps me from wasting money!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

For my 2 cents: I recently ate shit under a heavily loaded Alpha 104. No I didn't get hurt and no I wasn't doing a hook turn. The reason I say all that is that I hit my head but sustained no damage to my TRV17 I think mostly due to the D-Box. If you think you cannot afford the money for a D-box or an X-jacket ask yourself if you can afford to replace your video camera ir fix it.
As for the ring site, I know a lot of freeflyers who go without. The reason I use one is that I shoot tandems so I cannot afford to miss the shot, I am, after all, getting paid in part to make sure the two camera's are centered on the subject.
Hope that helps.
Drewfus McDoofus

Instead of ring-sites, I've seen a ton of people putting little pieces of tape or some of those notebook-ring-saver-sticky-things on their goggles to mark where the shot would be. Sounds like a good idea to me. :)"Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Aggie D is right, this is very common in the UK and Europe also, if you are gonna skimp on the ring sight, then it also makes sense to get a little cheap laser pointer, and line it up with the cam on the helmet. When you cinch up the hat, you can dab the laser (at the roof or bulkhead, preferably!) and check that your 'sight' is lined up as true as possible.
Obviously not as good as an excellent sight from ,say Brent, but it should help keep things in frame.
happy snapping,
D
Cya
D
It aint what you fly, its how you fly it!