jdhill

Who's jumping a Digital Still?

I use a film camera for most, but sometimes I jump a Sony DSC-S85 4.1 megapixal digital camera. Pluses are that it uses the same Memory Stick and Battery as the Sony PC-9. Negatives are the slow time between the push and the shutter (1.9 sec). You can improve that to about 1.1 sec if you go over all the settings and put it in manual. Also it has an ACC for a remote control. This is line the LANC port, but the Camera Eye II does not work. Sony does sell a remote, but it is very hard to find on the internet, and most stores will swear to you that it does not exist, the number is RM-DR1. The plug is at a right angle (good) and the cable is long enough to go down the arm (good). While it is a two step switch (bad), a single push will trigger the shutter (good) with a delay as noted above. The cycle time depends on the pixel format, more pixels, longer.
Blue Skies, Ralf

Just got a Canon 10D. I've used another one for a few jumps and of course I had to buy one.

Hey jd, just out curiosity, why did you go with the Olympus over the Nikon or the Canon?

D

Hi,

I am jumping a Minolta Dimage 5Hi with 5 millions of pixel.

The speed is very good (about 2 or 3 shots per seconds) and quality is amazing.

The other advantage is that you have a 28mm already on this camera.

See you in the air,

Franz

Canon 10D. All the pictures on my shutterfly site have been taken with it. Click my sig line and go to galleries. Also a bunch of pictures on the Wings.com site too.

I love it. I've been serious about photography for 30 years, but my abilities have just taken off since I got the instant feedback that a good digital SLR gives.

We are also now selling more digital still packages than film at my DZ. I keep meaning to get the product information, but we have this super coolio photo CD burner that is standalone and all we do is put a blank CD in it and the CF card and BEEP! we have a disc for the customer. It was about $200 I think.

Man, who dug up this 2 year old thread!? It is amazing to see digital has exploded in such a relatively short time.

Oh, and to answer your question... yes, I will be at the Moss Point 60-ways... fun, fun, fun!

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

My original digital was a sony... that never really worked for skydiving... I went with the Olympus becuase it was 5MP, and I did not need to buy any lenses for it... it was also about $500 less than the D30 (which was the Canon available at the time), oh and MM was using one, so I figured it do OK;)...

Since then, I have switched to a Canon D60... the speed (or lack of) of the Olympus was driving me nuts... I'm very happy with the switch.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

We are also now selling more digital still packages than film at my DZ. I keep meaning to get the product information, but we have this super coolio photo CD burner that is standalone and all we do is put a blank CD in it and the CF card and BEEP! we have a disc for the customer. It was about $200 I think.

deucey man, that's exactly what we need to switch over from film to digital... (and a few rich camera flyers who can afford a digital still) Who makes it?

i need a new 10D :(

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=306635&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

Lets see if that link works. That's an example of the type of device that's available. I think it's the one we have too, but like any computer equipment, the one we have probably isn't on sale anymore.

Very coolio and easy to use. We charge $10 more for digital stills, and I get $5 more to wear the 10D. The customer can end up with 90 stills if I've smoked crack and I think they are photogenic.

Greetings.
I am shooting with a D60 since a year or more.
For freefly I usally use a 15 mm lense , for belly I use a 18 mm Tokina and various filters.
Started out with a Nikon coolpix and rejected using 35mm - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/digisnap2000.html -scroll down...
Now(older and wiser), I use a Canon Elan when doing Tandems.
Btw jdhill, I am jumping at "the other" dz in Houston. :)crazy German aka Marc Lehner
www.clustermaster.com