meekerboy

8-way Speed Star - fastest times

In the UK we have an 8-way Speed star FS comp every year. Does anyone know what the fastest time a star has been built in either in the UK or abroad?

Also is there any video of speed star stuff online anywhere?

Cheers, Simon

I think the ragtag 8 way team that Tom Berenger headed in the movie Cutaway, holds the record...

:D:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Only one team has ever done a sub-10 :|

In 10-way speed at the 2002 US nationals, "Skydive Chicago STL" averaged 9.79 over 6 rounds. 8 way should be faster than 10-way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think the ragtag 8 way team that Tom Berenger headed in the movie Cutaway, holds the record...

:D:D:D:D

This is true, but they whent no lift.........wich we all no is suicide :D
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

John - do they have to be formation or even point specific for that? or is it an any grip formation?

It's a specified formation, grip perfect, different formation on each round of the contest. SOme are quite difficult.

Here are pics of some formations from the 10-way dive pool:

www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/triple-d.jpg
www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/beartrap.jpg (This one is hard to do quickly)
www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/handprop.jpg
www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/normans.jpg

There IS a star in the pool, it is one of the quicker formations to build.

Can you explain the basics of how the dive is engineered in terms of exit order and such? Speed formations are something that's always interested me. I'm especially interested in the floater's jobs as every speed star I've done has been the "Cutaway" type.

Can you explain the basics of how the dive is engineered in terms of exit order and such? Speed formations are something that's always interested me. I'm especially interested in the floater's jobs as every speed star I've done has been the "Cutaway" type.

Try this:
www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/wisdom.html

It's worth noting that the rules for Speed Star vary between countries.

I believe the Australian record is about 10.1 sec.

Correct - the data I gave are for USPA 10-way rules. Requires a no-show exit from side door plane, everyone behind a diagonal line drawn across the cabin floor, and you may not take out a chunk for the base.

Correct - the data I gave are for USPA 10-way rules. Requires a no-show exit from side door plane, everyone behind a diagonal line drawn across the cabin floor, and you may not take out a chunk for the base.

you may take what ever you want out the door. The base/pin jumpers must shown as the initial undocked 2 way that begins the formation. Launch the chunk drop grips then built the 2 way. then every one else can dock.
I think we did a low 8 second formation several years ago at Nationals.

you may take what ever you want out the door. The base/pin jumpers must shown as the initial undocked 2 way that begins the formation. Launch the chunk drop grips then built the 2 way. then every one else can dock.
I think we did a low 8 second formation several years ago at Nationals.

8.12 if memory serves, but I don't recall the formation and it's gone from Omniskore.

It's the fastest round under the current rules. I think Roger's 2002 team still has the best average.