AdrenalineBluez

Launching a 4-way

My overall newbness, and that of the three other guys who I am doing 4-ways with have made for some comical moments... We actually do put the fun in funnel...
My question is what is the best (easiest) setup to get a 4-way out the door??? turning points is academic after we exit if we can't getRdown the hill without scattering all over the sky like roaches when the lights come on...

Oh!!! This is out of an Otter....

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. I did search. However like I said I am a newb and deciphering who is the cat or spinning the cat and other stuff escapes me... Who takes cats skydiving anyway???[:/]

"Uh oh! This is gonna hurt!"

It's all about presentation. Getting out into the wind together. WIthyou bosies presented to the realative wind.

When you see a good 4way team exit. It looks like someone has placed a sheet of glass under them.

The best thing to do is get coahcing. We can talk about it all day long on DZ.com, but it is a visual thing. You have to see it and pracitce it in the mock ups. Comeout to Perris if you want. Plenty of people around to show you the ropes.
Dom

I knew coaching was something we required. There was never a doubt about that. One of the many lessons I have learned in this sport is a coach makes all the difference in the world.
I am headed to Perris at some point to get some LONG over due water training, for my "B". I will make sure when I am up there I look you or Chris up for some coaching. It should'nt take much arm twisting to get the other three to head up that way with me...

Thanks!!!!

"Uh oh! This is gonna hurt!"

Since I offered and I am trying to stay awake! There are 3 major aspects to a good 4-way exit.
1: presentation-Everyone must be facing the relative wind (NOT the ground) and have their own air
2: Timing everyone needs to leave so that they are on the same plane (plane of glass)
3: placement: The group needs to launch into the formation. Usually this mean the tail (rear float) down: OC (front float) up and away: IC (rear diver)down but near the plane: Point (front diver)above everyone.

These are listed in order of importance! although 1 and 2 are close. If you present to the wind the formation will fly. If the timing and presentation is good it will fly well. If all 3 are there it will fly and be ready to key.

The last thing is after you do exit remember that even the best exit will fall apart if you stop working and flying your body.
Chris

WIthyou bosies presented to the realative wind.

Oh, is -that- the way to do it? Present the bosies? Man, and here I -thought- I was doing it right....perhaps that's why I need wings! ;)

>

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Timing, presentation and hitting the right space out of the door are definitely what you need to do to successfully fly an exit. The way I read your question you are also looking for the easiest formations to launch. I am on a rookie team (jump numbers 130-300 for the team) and the first exit we attempted was the B-Stairstep Diamond. We got it on about the 3rd attempt. Since then we moved to E-Meeker, M-Star. We launched O-Satellite and C-Murphy Flake on first attempts in competition last weekend. It was a blast!

We've received lots of good advise from strong 4-way people at our DZ and have a coach working with us. We would be way further down the learning curve without them.:)

If you just want something that should hold even if presentation is less than perfect - I'd always recommend the sidebody. Some guys prefer satellite, but I still think sidebody. Just get tail low and make sure the guys inside the plane dont push through the guys outside.

Then the Meeker. It teaches good slot presentation skills. (different jobs for different slots).

And if you have licked the stairstep diamond, then there really isnt anything that shouldnt follow...

Dru

Watch how the good guys do it.

If you want... video them and REALLY watch ...in slo mo and freeze frame.

Of course paying for coaching can help a lot as long as the coach really knows how to teach you and not just show you .

Ensuring that everyone in the 4way is capable of doing smooth exits by themselves also helps heaps.
:P

WooooHooo!

We finally got the Meeker nailed down and I found that it was really solid (after we got the hang of it which wasn't very hard).

Others recommended the sidebody...I'll put it to the team to go for that next...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

the three other guys who I am doing 4-ways with have made for some comical moments...

I may be part of the reference...maybe not!

I think next time we should launch it as an "AFF" jump.... I have it all drawn out and everything...

HEY! It could work:S
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!