HeatherB

memorizing blocks

So, I have all the randoms memorized. Little tricks like Crappy murphy flake and Jelly donut helped. But does anyone have any tricks/pointers for memorizing the blocks? I'm only concerned with the intermediate dive pool at this point.

I've never been a numbers person. :D

Use flash cards. B| I learned them as a bet with a 4 way chick. Of course I won, but cannot tell you what all the blocks and randoms look like since I've not flown all of them as an intermediate. If you give me the number or name I can give you the opposite. :ph34r:

Do a search. Somebody came up with a decent way to memorize them. :)

Hey Heather,

Richard made flash cards for me - it really helped. (You're welcome to borrow them; I'll bring them to the dz next time.)

Also what helped me was to memorize the formations, where my slot was, what grips I took, what grips were taken on me - same for OC, IC & tail. So when I started to learn the #s & letters, I could picture the entire formation in my mind's eye.

Leslieann :)

Heather - PM to me your e-mail and I'll send you a file to make flash cards from.

I learned them by watching tons of NSL videos. When the formation built, I would call it out silently in my head (name or letter/number - whatever you like). After several repetitions, they eventually became natural.

Much of it is because of the speed of the top teams, it forces you to keep up so you learn it faster.

Side benefit - If you can name them from the camera view, then you "see" the formation, not just your slot in it. It helps later when you are trying to be aware of everyone's role during a dive.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bloks are more than just figures, they are moves.

I found that I had an easier time learning them, when I practiced them by walking them over and over again with the team.
The first few times we walked them we had a coach present and made notes with the figures, on how to do our moves.

When not training I visualised and talked byself through the blockmoves, by using the notes. (Have both picture of blok as it looks in divepool and picture of how we cheat it).

Edited to second the suggestion of watching video. The top-view is good for learning the block, but especially good for "overviewing" the whole formation, for later on when you will need to know the blockmoves from other slots, or be able to await a key, etc.

Well, the weather forecast for this weekend looks terrible. We're supposed to train on Sunday...we'll see what happens.

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to watch some videos and study the dive pool! :D

I am guilty of not always knowing what tail is doing. I'll work on that.

Thank you to everyone for all the ideas!