HeyRobin

Team Agreements

Hey there!

For the second season, I've assumed the role of "Video/Coach" for a rookie 4-way team at my DZ. This years team members range from 75 to 175 jumps. We're planning for about 100 training jumps plus TSL competition.

As a team we've adopted some basic agreements on how we handle various situations. Here's a few examples:

• If any single team member is uncomfortable jumping in uncertain weather conditions (i.e. winds etc) then we don't jump and we don't complain. Ever.

• If there's a cuttaway, the team lands on the airport and I'm the only one that has the option of following equipment down. If nothing else, I'll shoot video of where it went. (I don't want my rooks zipping around a cuttaway main or freebag).

There's more. Team day is team day. Socializing is kept at a minimum. We train rain or shine. Don't be late. etc. Anyway, I'm sure there are things I haven't considered.

What are some other Team Agreements, safety based or otherwise, that have worked well for your teams?

The one with only jumping when everybody is okay with the winds are VERY important!

Others we have used on my two teams:

All land together, if the spot was bad. (Or in your case if only one cant make it home, you land with that person and the rest head for home) (safety)

No heavy drinking the night before training (safety)

Wait until everybody has landed and is is gathered after the jump, before going to the packing area. (social)

The coach is always right (ease and efficiency)

Debrief only yourself, start with the good things, then things that need improvements. If a person leaves out something they should improve, let the coach be the one to say so. (ease and efficiency)

Hold team meetings after training has ended. Pass the rock, the one with the rock has the right to speak undisturbed. (social, and efficiency

Agree upon how much training and set team goals.
Make them do individual goals as well. (motivation)

Do fun jumps together, as a team. (motivation)

And lots more....

I've had all of the previous ones mentioned.

There's one this year that we've agreed on that I love: Give back to the sport.

We made it a goal this year to never be that team that only trains and never fun jumps, never coaches, never socializes, etc.

So we coach in the tunnel, we help out with two-way camps, we load organize on non-training days, the two of us with ratings make ourselves available to the school if they need us, and we're just around the DZ in general.

Does it take time out of our busy training day to break at 9:30 am to spend an hour coaching in the tunnel? Yes. Do the people we coach get more excited about learning and 4-way and skydiving in general? Yes.

This is one of the best team agreements I've ever made. I know it's not unique, but this is the first team I've been on where it's been a spoken agreement.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

One rule - margaritas will be frozen, not over ice and salt will be declined. Oh, and anyone messing with Sarah messes with all of us.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Most important rule -

Don't hurt the Inside Center.

Steve
GT

Amen to that my brother. Worst of last year was a concussion on old block 12. And Brian (the bastard) was complaining about how the back of my head hurt his knee.

Ben
MD
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Debrief only yourself, start with the good things, then things that need improvements. If a person leaves out something they should improve, let the coach be the one to say so.

The way we do it:
1- Watch the video twice, in silence.

2- Each person:
Say two things positive about other people in the skydive.
Say one thing you're going to improve on fore the next jump.

3- Then the coach speaks their piece.

We put together the whole years training schedule, including every line item expense, and got the whole team to sign off on dates and cost. Video, slots, coaching, team training without coaching, meet entrance fees, etc.

Basically - put the items from the HeyRobin Post + the vibeke post - and you have it... Some were implied, some were actually discussed.

On my request to make sure we all had good breakoffs after a previous close call, our coach came up with the training idea on the first day training. We all broke off a little high and our coach (who was flying video since our video guy was not able) videoed our tracks and breakoff, one person at a time... Good safety idea... The team ranged from 50-600 jumps per person, and everyone learned and the weakest link got the coaching required.

Here is a tidbit I learned from Pat and Mike at Perris... Each day have a team captain (when the coach is not acting as in charge). That day that person decides the training and loads. Each day it is a new person in the rotation... So, if you really want to work on one skill, wait 3 days and it will be your turn to do it.

Oh – and the most important rule our team has… (Do everything required to land safe) then give a big high five no matter how bad the dive went…

Edit to add: I think I am going to protest our coach's (Brian Vande Krol's) e-mails that say I am required to show up for team training before 8 AM... I think he spent too much time in Perris or Eloy or something.:P

Hey, thanks everyone for all the replies!

If I were to ask my rooks to land together, they'd try really hard to do it. Nawp. Not gonna ask for that yet. Maybe later in the season I can add that one in. For now all I ask is a consevative AFF textbook landing pattern. Spiraling down is verboten. Land where you want. Land safe. Head on a swivel. Try not to piss anyone off under canopy. (If ya do, and someone decisdes to chew on ya, just be humble, take it on the chin, let me know I'll take care of it).

Other things I've asked for:
• I asked that they all get decent at packing. They don't have to do it, but they have to learn it. (Not only does it teach you about your gear, but it makes ya feel like a "real skydiver" and that's important). We've spent a few hours on a weather days just practicing our packing. About 15 jumpers and riggers got involved last time... it was great! We learned 5 different ways to get a canopy in a bag, lol)

• I have asked that they memorize the names, shapes and letters of all the randoms by heart. Know their slots. And they have.

Our video debriefs are quick and to the point. I do most the talking for now. I dwell on the good stuff, and touch on a couple challenges.

• Basically, I'm looking for five things on our current skydives. (Non-docked star exit): 1. Timing. 2. Presentation. 3. Angle and Prox. 4. On-level Docks 5. A sequenced* break-off and track.

(All the other things commonly asked for: Cross ref, grip plans, angles, pictures, etc will be addressed as the season progresses).

My goal for the next couple training days is to have them non-dock exit in the right place at the right time, with the right presentation and get together in 10 seconds or less. They don't actually dock with grips, but simply fly to the right spot, get still, and when the time comes, simply lay their hands palm up over the grip. Tricky.

*(On break-off I ask for a de-arch, turn, stop, legs-out, then transition to a flat-track. The delta thing's for traking dives... and we're not doin' any of those).

It's a lot to ask for. (Too much?). It'll be frustrating for a while, (we're all hungry to start launching exits and turn points) but my gut tells me the slow-go thing will pay off later.

~I'm not particularly experienced in coaching. Nor am I an accomplished 4-way tech. Many of yall are. As such I welcome any thoughts or help yall can provide. I just want to do right by the team.

That said...

Frozen margaritas? Tequilla maybe. Beer certainly, but margaritas? Frozen margaritas? Come on man. I'm trying to make 'em skydivers not schoolteachers...:P:D

Frozen margaritas? Tequilla maybe. Beer certainly, but margaritas? Frozen margaritas? Come on man. I'm trying to make 'em skydivers not schoolteachers...:P:D

As I said, don't mess with Sarah.

(But I have no issue with passing the tequila bottle around after the marguaritas are prepared. Tequila is good.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi.

I'm doing the same thing with some newbies here in Ohio, USA! I'm tired of begging to jump with the so-called skygods. I'll train my own people.

Maybe we can't afford trips to the wind tunnel but we sure as hell are going to learn how to stop, fly no contact, and NEVER fumble for grips.

Good luck to you guys!

Ed Lightle
B| B| B|

Just watch for stress levels with the on-going drills. You don't want them getting despondent.

Consider a "fun" jump at the end of each day. It's still training but perhaps revert to a 3 point random - with full grips. Round/square randoms initially. This will give the team a chance to gauge for themselves how they are traveling and give them something to talk about when the beer comes out at the end of the day.

Dru

It's sort of like initiation by knee's to the face!!! Just tell them they owe you beer everytime you get hurt, it'll probably work out in your favor;) have fun
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

The IC slot is famous for its pain. You have the rear of the door trying to get you on exit and your teamies trying to get ya in freefalll. Protect yourself at all time. = ) IC's of the world unite!!!!

I like the beer idea for each shot. I'm gonna use that one.

As to why they put you there - IC is usually the brains of the bunch (or at least I like to think so). Go with that. Rule No. 2 - (after don't hurt the IC), the IC is always right. Rule No. 3 - If IC is wrong, see Rule No. 2. You're in charge, the QB, the Boss. Let the folks assigning you to the pain slot live with THAT;)

S.
GT

As to why they put you there - IC is usually the brains of the bunch (or at least I like to think so). Go with that. Rule No. 2 - (after don't hurt the IC), the IC is always right. Rule No. 3 - If IC is wrong, see Rule No. 2. You're in charge, the QB, the Boss. Let the folks assigning you to the pain slot live with THAT;)

I like that. Robin, you'll be informing the others about the beer and the Rules at our next training camp, right?;)

Of course, if I can't find some way to start consistently being part of the dive I won't have to worry about getting hurt.:(
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Everything that has been said so far is great and works well. Three other things i would add:

1. (During Training) Repeating a dive can have very good results, however if on the 2nd (maybe 3rd) try it is still going to shit move on, don't let it bring down the entire team just because you can't get it.

2. During competition, when you land after a jump that jump is done/gone/finished. Don't think about (good or bad) just forget it for now. Move on to what your next jump is and what you need to do to prepare.
[Example: NSL last year we had a great round, and then goose egged the next cause we thought we were on fire and didn't focus properly, that was an eye opener]

Lastly, and this is just something my team does, may not apply to everyone else:
3. (this applies if you are working with packers) During competition/practices when you are trying to keep a good pace, after landing try to get at least one rig to your packer quickly and then meet with team

-This works for my team, it may or may not work for your team. as this is my personal opinion you have the option of not following it-

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

I like that. Robin, you'll be informing the others about the beer and the Rules at our next training camp, right?;)

Of course, if I can't find some way to start consistently being part of the dive I won't have to worry about getting hurt.:(

Aaron... I don't think you have to worry about getting hurt just yet.;) if our rookie OC snaps a CP turn... and you stayed in such close prox as to be able to catch his knee on your noggin'... I'll proudly buy you BOTH a beer!

Also... I don't know that brains per se are as useful with the IC slot as much as good old fashioned Freefall Awareness. Setting a cool, clean, confident tone for the skydive. Feeding that confidence to the OC from the "eyes" at exit set-up on. Setting the tempo. Helping OC set angles. Actively noticing what's goin' on with the build. Intuiting when to quick-key and when to hold a key. etc. To my thinking, all that stuff takes awareness, confidence and a cool head more than "brains".

That's down the road a bit. Lets get yall zipper to the wind on exit, flying quiet and neutral in the air, and executing a purposeful, sequenced breakoff and tracking first.

Just remember have fun!

Don't take yourselves too seriously - pass the rock, please. Go and get pissed (after trainning)

Create an enviroment where it's okay to make mistakes. When I stuff up my team mates are laughing and thinking "glad that's not me".

Pin check each other in the a/c

have the camera check the spot - my job is the next point (iff I can remember it)

use packers - extra energy

too junior for gaggle landings (me: too scared)? Pair up and land by wl then swap.

Washing jumpsuits is bad luck

don't have sex with the camera guy

Blues

;)

Amen to that my brother. Worst of last year was a concussion on old block 12. And Brian (the bastard) was complaining about how the back of my head hurt his knee.

MD

Oh man, I was limping around for like...minutes! It was so bad I couldn't even drive you to the hospital for the CAT-scan. :P