GQ_jumper

2005 Airspeed lineup

So we've seen the new Airspeed lineup at the valentines meet, they put in a pretty solid fight against the knights in the 4-way, and coming out of a solid year in 8-way nobody could touch them there. Looking at their new training plan focusing equal amounts of time on 4 and 8 way how does everyone think they will do overall this year? And who thinks this could be the year that they finally meet one of Airspeed's original goals, taking the 4 and 8 way at world's?

Personally I think they are going to be strong this year but they could focus a little more of their time on 4-way seeing as how they are so far ahead of everyone else on 8-way already. And since they have two new members in the lineup as much as I'd like to seem them take it all I think this year is going to be storng, but next year is going to the the big one for them.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Personally I think they are going to be strong this year but they could focus a little more of their time on 4-way seeing as how they are so far ahead of everyone else on 8-way already. ***

Never underestimate the Russians or the French. The Italian 8 way are training hard as well.

I think that they have a great chance at walking away with 4-way and 8-way at Nationals this year.

My 2 cents worth for the battle for 4-way at Nationals will be between the 2 Airspeed teams, the new Majik team and the Golden Knights.

The tunnel, when it is built, will be a huge asset.

Liz

Never underestimate the Russians or the French. The Italian 8 way are training hard as well.

I'm not trust me, i've already been hearing some good things about Russia this year. And I heard we may get a look at Sinapsi in the states before the world meet.

I think that they have a great chance at walking away with 4-way and 8-way at Nationals this year.

I'd really like to see airspeed step it back up in the 4-way events like they have in previous years.

My 2 cents worth for the battle for 4-way at Nationals will be between the 2 Airspeed teams, the new Majik team and the Golden Knights.

Don't forget there are a few new teams really starting to come into the mix this year that look really strong, I think the new competition from these teams is going to push the 4 way in the US to a higher level keeping us ahead in the international competitions.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't forget about Fastrax and DeLand Fire. It should be a good year for 4-way :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

And I heard we may get a look at Sinapsi in the states before the world meet.

They are training in Deland. I really hope that they make the podium at the World meet next year.

The Italian 8-way does not include Sinapsi, unless they form a different 8-way team for their Nationals.

Sooo, to all the 4-way nuts out there, do you think that to be in the top 3 at Nationals a 22+ point average will be in order?

Liz

Fastrax and Fire are the teams i was talking about when i mentioned the new teams coming into the mix that will push everyone to a higher level. I think we will see some great ability from them, but the reason i'm a fan of Airspeed is because they are built from close friends for the love of the team, as much as i respect the ability on fasttrax and fire sometimes i wonder if the deck was stacked based on ability, which isn't what it should be about. As important as ability is, the love of flyin with friends shoudl always be number 1.

I really hope that they make the podium at the World meet next year.

they definitely deserve it, i'd love to see that too.

Sooo, to all the 4-way nuts out there, do you think that to be in the top 3 at Nationals a 22+ point average will be in order?

tis the year of the 4way!!! records will be shattered this year.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Fastrax and Fire are the teams i was talking about when i mentioned the new teams coming into the mix that will push everyone to a higher level.

While I believe both these teams will put up some impressive scores, I disagree they will push everyone to a higher level. The highest level teams push themselves harder than any outside force in a bid to better themselves. This is not saying they don't look at the competition, they will, but the push comes from within. And I know of at least a couple of other open class teams that are not training differently due to a stronger open class (true, these team will not be close to the medal race, but that doesn't mean they're slacking off, nor being pushed to get better due the strength of the field).

I think we will see some great ability from them, but the reason i'm a fan of Airspeed is because they are built from close friends for the love of the team, as much as i respect the ability on fasttrax and fire sometimes i wonder if the deck was stacked based on ability, which isn't what it should be about. As important as ability is, the love of flyin with friends shoudl always be number 1.

At the highest levels, it is about winning. Period. What does it take to win? Do that. Airspeed has (IMHO) a better team dynamic than any other, but during their most recent tryouts, they passed over good friends for relative strangers. They did NOT choose "close friends for the love of the team". Of the teams I've been a member, I didn't start out as friends with my teammates - I didn't even know them in most cases - but we became friends through the process.

And I wouldn't say that the deck is exactly stacked against Airspeed, either. Both Andy and Brian are superb additions to an already stellar squad. I wouldn't count out John Hoover and crew either: a 20 in mid February is not without merit. I do agree this will be a very interesting competition year; all the more so since it's a short training year.

While I believe both these teams will put up some impressive scores, I disagree they will push everyone to a higher level.

I agree and from what I say is NO reflection on the above teams, it all comes down to the following:

lThe desire to succeed and the training involved to do so, no matter of the so called "competition".

Whomever gets the gold at Nationals has all of the above.

Liz

With the new rules (no busts) I think its safe to assume an avg higher than 22 for all 3 teams on the podium, yes.
It is going to be an exiting year... :)

The best teams don't bust that much. I think you put way too much weight on the change in bust scoring.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

They did not bust, because they took great care.
Now they will push the speed. Or at least I think they will.
Im not saying averages are going to sky-high levels, but they are going to be noticeably higher.
That plus there are several teams training hard(!), as far as I have understood. ;)

We'll just have to see the scores and compare those against the trends. I don't see a big effect relative to the existing top team ramp and the new dive pool. But:

star is nicer than Bundy to work with - argue faster;
bundy-bundy vs zip/star is faster and less likely to cause any busts; the new opal/opal now is doable any way they like - also faster.

I'd almost be inclined to think the new dive pool will have just as big an effect on the top teams.

Now less experienced teams that bust alot? you bet the new rules matter! We are fairly clean the last year (compared to before anyway), so I expect to see sloppier but faster teams now as bigger competition than before. We'll just have to do better B|

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Both Andy and Brian are superb additions to an already stellar squad.

I don't know Brian very well, but Andy is no slacker. He has been on of the people I have looked up to in 4way for a long time and deserves the chance he has now with Airspeed. He is one of the ugys that has jumped at Perris for years along with Pat, Mike and Kai to name a few. I remeer watching them as Team Perris (along with Max) training for the '97 Nationals. They could have been world champions as well.

These guys were my first heros in 4 way. It was the first group of really good fliers I had met and thought to myself, "I wan't to do that!!!" During the years I was out of the sport I would watch old video of those guys and my old 4 way team and kept the fires buring. Thanks to Brian Rogers for letting me dub his video's down. They kept me sane for 5 years.
Dom

As good as Fire and Fastrax are looking this year i don't think they can pull out the kind of scores that the team experience of airspeed, majik and the knight can. I guess we'll find out this weekend though, i'm really lookin forward to the competition results. Bets anyone?
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Fire has three 20+ average skydivers (including two 2004 World champions) and one 19.9 average skydiver.
Fastrax progressed with the same lineup from 13.2 in 2003 to 17.1 in 2004 and their 2005 training plan is extremely intense.
Both are professional teams with high goals. What makes you think they cannot pull the scores comparable to Airspeed Majik and GK’s?

Your right about Fire they have some incredible talent on that team, but as a team they are still fairly new, which gives teams like airspeed a bit of an advantage IMHO(just remember I'm a diehard Airspeed fan, so my opinion is always going to be biased towards them). Maybe Fire WILL pull out some good scores it would definitely be good to see more teams putting up serious competition at nationals this year.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Right now we are averaging 3 randoms only. It is the most fun skydiving I have had in years.

I think all of the teams are going to rock this is definitely going to be the most contested nationals ever. More than any I was ever involved in

back in black....black magick

22.8 and 20.8 at the meet this weekend, that's awesome!!! especially considering that the 20.8 was done with an alternate. It's definitely lookin good for my boys(and girl!!!) this year.

Airspeed, you rock!!! keep it up
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

especially considering that the 20.8 was done with an alternate

Yeah....Eagle is not by any stretch a slacker.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334