Hooknswoop

3 Ring Pics

Took me some time, but the loop line comes out side by side and not on top of each other like in the sketch.

I'm I right?
Can't find any more, at least for now.

What are the dangers with this except not beeing done according to specs?
I posted a picture of my three rings for comparisons...(please tell me if you find any problems with my three rings, cause they should be ok and I will be jumping with it...)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

3-ring.jpg

3-ring_close.jpg

Close to 200 views and only 3 responses?

What's wrong:

1) The white locking loop is too short and is frawed from the a sharp edge on the grommet.

2) The material for the small ring is 1 inch type III (525 lbs), it is supposed to be 5/8 inch square weave type IV (625 lbs).

3) The small ring is set to far away from the medium ring.

4) There isn't any confluence wrap

5) There isn't any re-inforcement tape (type III) between the type XVII riser webbing

They are inefficent and weak. The riser is one of the first early mini-risers built. It is hard to see all of this from the pics.

Hook

Where did you find this riser and has the jumper been told that he was jumping a crappy set of risers?

The risers came with a rig that was purchased recently. The new owner was having it assembled. I found a pull up cord in the container (in a pocket) that was used for a RD's campaign this year, so the rig must have been jumped recently with those risers. There wasn't a data card with the container, so I had no way of finding the previous owner until I talk with the new owner this weekend. On list list of things to do.B|

Hook

Here's my personal list of suggestions for background on-line reading. Perhaps others have better info:

RWS pictures on a well built 3-ring & riser:
http://www.relativeworkshop.com/support/tech_risers.html

(There was a DZ.com post which I can't find right now, where someone from RWS -- I thought it was Booth himself -- did find some relaxation of the rules in the above article acceptable (whatever that means), when counselling someone with a particular set of risers that didn't meet the specs in the document. My handwritten notes were: Regarding Rule A that the big ring touch the tape for the 2nd ring, a 1/8" gap would be acceptable. Regarding Rule B, pulling the loop out to the side of the riser to check slack, 1/4" was still acceptable.)

A 1995 RWS bulletin:
http://www.relativeworkshop.com/pdf_files/techpsb_120199.pdf

Jump Shack articles:
(Go to www.jumpshack.com, Technical Articles)

The following two provide info on inspection for correct construction:
-- Jump Shack 3-Ring Inspection Instructions
-- The 3 Ring: What It Is, And How It Works

The following cover other riser related topics:
-- Cause Of Type 17 Riser Failures Identified
-- Type 17 Riser Study
-- The 3-Ring System - Retain and Release
Sub-System
-- Analysis of a Riser

1997 Skydivemag (the British magazine) article on 3-rings - about reversed risers and force ratios.:
http://www.bpa.org.uk/skydive/pages/articles/oct97/kitnews.htm

RWS also has 3-ring construction diagrams available, but I haven't checked about how to obtain / buy them.

Sorry no clicky.

Peter Chapman

The risers came with a rig that was purchased recently. The new owner was having it assembled. I found a pull up cord in the container (in a pocket) that was used for a RD's campaign this year, so the rig must have been jumped recently with those risers.

Not necessarily. He may have had another set of risers, and kept his canopy on them. He may have had the old risers around and sent them with the rig.
Even so, it's still pretty crappy to sell obsolete and unsafe gear like that.

Peter

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.