jsaxton

4 way exits from cessna

I'm interested in learning 4 way exits from a Cessna. Does anyone know of a resouorce for this?

Yes. My DZ has an cessna caravan - a great resource for flying 4 way exits and I find the airspeed method works fine. B|
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

A long time ago at the nationals 4-way was out of Cessna 182's. My team pretty much launched each first formation. The general set up is --

1) point is layed out as far on the strut as he can get. On formations where this person is facing the center he doesn't stretch out, but faces forward or slightly inside.
2) The person who would now be called "inside-center" is sitting on the strut with their back to the wind. Right foot on top of the strut near the base of the strut.
3) center person on step directly in front of and facing #2
4) Right foon on the step, left foot wherever. Facing slightly aft of the wing-line.

Of course there are variations dictated by the needs of each formation you are trying to launch. I'd recommend you just pull the same thing off until you get things going well, then you can get tricky and unfold a cat and such.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

A long time ago at the nationals 4-way was out of Cessna 182's. My team pretty much launched each first formation. The general set up is --

1) point is layed out as far on the strut as he can get. On formations where this person is facing the center he doesn't stretch out, but faces forward or slightly inside.
2) The person who would now be called "inside-center" is sitting on the strut with their back to the wind. Right foot on top of the strut near the base of the strut.
3) center person on step directly in front of and facing #2
4) Right foon on the step, left foot wherever. Facing slightly aft of the wing-line.

Of course there are variations dictated by the needs of each formation you are trying to launch. I'd recommend you just pull the same thing off until you get things going well, then you can get tricky and unfold a cat and such.

Where is tail? Or are they the #4 you have listed in your example?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

He has tail as #4

To keep with a continuity plan for an left door plane like an Otter (Point is left of OC), the OC should be in the crotch and the IC on step in the "student" position though.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thanks for the insight. I'm really looking for actual foot/hane/grip placement. One of the more experianced guys had us trying to launch a diamond and (for some strange reason) I find this stuff interesting and something that should be documented and passed down to newer jumpers (like me) :)

To launch a straight diamond we would have #1 (the person out on the strut) be the point. The guy sitting on the strut would be the left wing. The center guy would be right wing, and the tail of the diamond would be the guy in the door. As always, timing is critical. The point must pick up the count.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I do a lot of 4 way in El Paso out of the 182 and we have a pretty good system. We launch a meeker as the first point. It has to be the most solid exit. It is on the dive pools, but we do it backwards from the picture.

1. Guy all the way out keeps left foot on step and hands on strut. Grabs guy in the V's left leg grip immediately after exit. Always is looking to the center.

2. Guy in the V (back to wind) has Left arm of the guy on the step and left leg grip of the guy in the door with right hand. Both or only left foot on step. Right foot cocked up on strut to push off on exit.

3. Guy in door has left leg of the guy on the step with left hand. Right leg on step and left leg cocked back in the plane tp push out. Look toward the center.

4. Guy on step gives count (UP, DOWN, OUT) has left arm grip of guy in the V. Immediately after exit has left leg grip of guy all the way out with right hand.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't. One thing though, be sure to exit at a 45 degree angle. This way, the guy in the door won't hit the side of the plane.

Clint D-24352

All of the above answers seem to be from a 182...we launch from a 206 on a regular basis, which doesn't have the luxury of steps or struts.

We usually launch a 3-way star (floater, seated, diver) with one guy podded between the seated and the diver. This can be a very stable launch, particularly if the podder is quite a hhh-hhmm heavy guy (not unlike myself!).

We normally launch with floater as outside centre, seated as point, diver as tail, and podded as inside centre. There's even room for the camera dude as rear float! Hope that helps...

Ru.

Team eNV
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Clint - I bet you find your meeker is consistently steep. With the count from the student position, the crotch sometimes gets pulled off as it can be difficult to time his exit even with the right foot pushing off. Take the count from the guy in the crotch (V) and you'll likely get a cleaner more consistent exit.

Also, all grips can be in place on a Cessna meeker. Far hang holds on with right hand and takes the leg right away. Student holds on with left hand and takes far hang's leg right away. Never had an issue.

Edit: Most anything can be launched from a Cessna 182 step, and a no step plane can be treated much like an Otter exit. The nice thing about a big step, is that you are already in the airstream and it's easier to place yourself on the hill - most all are easier than from an Otter. There is more room as everyone is out already. The rules on the Airspeed articles on this site still apply, though. With those, you can launch anything. Timing and presentation.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Actually with the guys I usually do 4 way with, it is never steep at all. We are really in sync. with each other. When the guy on the step that gives the count says ready, we are, and we all move with him on the count (up, down, out). Are exits never break and the guy in the V never gets dragged out. I know, because I am usually in the V or the door. Also, we are always turning points on the hill and we usually get 12-15 points from 10,000.

Clint D-24352

You're lucky to have a group with natural timing. Sounds great. I was using your example as more of tips for the newer RW workers.

Our otter usually leaves around November. So Cessna jumping is the snow activity here and is associated with bit of pickup 4-way instead of the regular teams. Also, we mix it up even during the season to spread the learning to the newbies. That usually means I do a lot of coaching - especially when jumping Cessnas. So taking a count from the V can be taken here as advice for the newer guys to help them get it more consistently.

Hey Jeff!

Have you tried looking in your back yard? The Sirens did quite a few training jump for that very same 206 you have been propelling your butt out of.

I'll try to tap into my memory recall and show you some of my old moves ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

We put tail out on the strut. IS center in the crotch. OS center on the step and point in the door. I think we have launced every formation in the 99 dive pool. No cut exits. Grip, foot and hand placement need to be well engineered. It is obvious, but presentation to the relative wind is the big key to success as well as timing. Each formation requires adjusments to all of these ares.

Typically the tail is off just slightly first and low. This seems to create an Otter type exit. We competed in the NSL and did very well, with our exits having more success than the teams training out of Otters. Many were very surprised at our success.
alan