tmontana

First Jumpsuit

I have just gotten into jumping (20 jumps) and am looking to buy my own jumpsuit. I'm really not sure of what style (freefly, rw) of jumping i would like to get to, but i would like to buy my own jumpsuit and i figured that most students start off doing rw. I was told i should get something tight and made of nylon because i am very light (125 lbs.)
any recomendations on manufactures, websites, etc. would be very helpful.

go to symbiosis suits - they are without a doubt the best RW suits on the market. They have a very cool designer too and come in at about £130 basic with loads of options.

Try their lopo which is designed for fast falling or if you really want to motor their excel (but this is more expensive). Ask people in your DZ shop - they will be able to tell you which your body size would be most suited to. In my opinion you are prob best going with the lopo - the excel is really for serious comp jumpers.

clickety

http://www.symbiosis.suits.btinternet.co.uk/

My Fav way of picking gear....

Look around your DZ...See what everyone else is jumping.

Chances are that there is a reason.

Ron

FWIW...I'd say Michigan suits. Bullit proof tough, and GREAT customer service.

I would avoid getting suits from outside the US. If there is a problem the fix is a long way away.

But do what you want.....You will anyway.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My Fav way of picking gear....
Look around your DZ...See what everyone else is jumping.
Chances are that there is a reason.

Thats one of the reasons why I suggest a symbi suit - they are by far and away the most popular suit over here in England. They are very tough and a superb design.

I would avoid getting suits from outside the US. If there is a problem the fix is a long way away.

Good point there - guess we brits tend not to worry about this cos we have to import so much of our gear we are just used to the fact the supplier is gonna be a long way away. That said, I would be amazed if you ever had a problem with symbi.

But do what you want.....You will anyway.

I would be
amazed if you ever had a problem with symbi.

I tend to agree..Everything I have seen of a Symbi suit it is very nice.

But since I also really like my Michigan suits, and Mike lives in the same state as me so I see him 2 times or so a mth....I plan on just staying with his suits.

His customer service is the best I have ever seen.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i have and really like my symbi suit though i also have a Bev suit, as far as suits made in the US are concerned if you want a tight fitting suit I think that Tony suits are pretty good, they're made well and seem to be designed for a tight fit... bewarned of the waiting times that are involved with just about all jumpsuits!

bewarned of the waiting times that are involved with just about all
jumpsuits!

I have gotten a Michigan in a week. Standard times I have seen on my DZ are two weeks.

I started out with a second hand fs suit that kinda fitted me quite well but not brilliantly.

I've just got a new Symbi Lopo suit.

Its beautiful. Well made...well fitting...and has improved my control no end...I didn't realise how much difference a suit made for me would make. In fact I'd go so far as to say I am not really sure how I managed to control myself before! Go get one now!

I have just gotten into jumping (20 jumps) and am looking to buy my own jumpsuit. I'm really not sure of what style (freefly, rw) of jumping i would like to get to, but i would like to buy my own jumpsuit and i figured that most students start off doing rw. I was told i should get something tight and made of nylon because i am very light (125 lbs.)
any recomendations on manufactures, websites, etc. would be very helpful.

At that weight you should wear nothing but a coat of spray paint, color of you choice, and both a lead vest and belt.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I honestly don't know. :$ I have only "floated" twice, though. It was unexpected as I seem to have a good range. If I go low, I can usually correct it in the blink of an eye.

I have just bought a weight belt because it will make my life much easier now that I have decided to pursue more serious RW. However, I have never worn the belt as I have recently downsized my main and had only jumped one day since buying it.

Uh...Sparky, I just weighed myself the other day. I am 97 lbs. I am not wearing spray paint, and I have never worn lead, yet. Are we still jumping together a couple of times at Perris on Sunday?

97 lb. I've jumped rigs that were heavier than that. Yes we are jumping on Sunday. Wouldn't miss it Darlin.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

97 lb. I've jumped rigs that were heavier than that.
You're telling me! Those student rigs, with the 280 mains, did quite a B| B| B| number on my back! I looked like a turtle. :| I look forward to Sunday, Sparky!

tmontana ~ Yes, get the nylon fabric option, for sure. I recommend Bev for your RW suits, but I also hear that Tony is wonderful. Firefly is awesome for freefly suits. Also, make sure that someone knowledgeable measures you. Good luck & blue skies! :)

While we're on the subject of fall rates :P I had a question - I did some test jumps with and without my jumpsuit on. I'm really trying to fall faster but I normally float on everyone I jump with. Except women! It's very frustrating really. On one of my jumps earlier this year in AZ, one of the guys said "Dude, I thought you'd pulled you floated so hard...".
Oh, I'm 140 pounds, 5'9 (yeah, yeah, eat more steak..)

My protrack measurements for the jumps were revealing.
Arching, head up, pelvis down, t-shirt, shorts - 120 (SAS). Same thing but with my Tony suit (which is a used RW suit with comp grips and rather glaring colours but seems to be a tight enough fit - nylon front, spandex back/arms, no booties) - 116-118 max (SAS again). Is this normal? I guess a jumpsuit will slow you down right? Thing is when I did a two way later on my speeds were 109-112. I'm doing something wrong here :S...

[url]

http://www.hawksuits.com/index.htm

Here's another one. The golden Knights had these a couple years ago. Marsha used to work with Mike Michigan and then spun off her own business locally in Wisconsin.

She is fantastic and has a different cut for men vs women to flatter the different shapes. Also, the followup service is great. I think her lead time is less than a month now.

Don't forget inside grippers and booties for your RW suit regardless of your vendor. (If you are buying brand new, you should just get these now as it's very hard to add them later.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Don't forget inside grippers and booties for your RW suit regardless of your vendor. (If you are buying brand new, you should just get these now as it's very hard to add them later.)

Thinking about buying a suit for myself but since I weigh at about 200lbs i won't need a fast one ;)
Those insidegrippers, are they used for RW or simply to create extra drag to slow one down?
And, what are booties?

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

inside grippers are used for RW but I suppose they would create a bit more drag - thats NOT their purpose though.

If you want a slow suit - simply order one. They come in all sizes and designs and there are loads on the market specifically designed to slow you down. EG symbiosis do a SLOW PO which is bloused and has a ZP lining in the front - has a massive effect on fall rate and will give you so much more control

Booties are basically a flared lower leg which hooks over the front of your foot so to create a mini kinda wing on your lower leg - they give you a very powerful track and a great deal of control in RW - GET THEM!!! - most people will consider them an ABSOLUTE MUST. I cannot overstate that. Some firms now offer megga booties (just bigger booties that go from the knea to the foot rather than the shin) - the jury's still out on the use of them - (whether theres any point or not)... I have no exp with them so ask someone else.