Viking

Very little forward drive with full leg extension....

I did a two way with a friend on sat and when i tryed to move closer it was a very slow thing even with my legs fully extened and my elbows in my rib cage.
I am 6'3" so my legs aren't tiny by any measure! The jumpsuit i wear is very tight and does not have booties. Could this be my problem or is there an error in my form?

Viking -- First of all, you didn't say you couldn't move forward., you said that it was a very slow process. it's possible that your friend was simultaneously backsliding!?

Secondly, it's not the jumpsuit . . . There 'could' be an error in your form. ;)

I guess you just are justifing not being able to fly the mantis, that's ok though. ;)

f=m*a, I'm very familiar with it in real world applications.... funny though, I would have thought someone coming in to a formation would have to do something with all their kinetic engergy.

you still are missing the point, that if you are on level and need to go straight back (or forward for that matter), there are more efficient ways to do it.

Oh boy here I go again. Viking I think that Shark is right as are several of the people when they say get coaching or someone who is going to fall straight down and can observe exactly what you are doing in the air. As for your legs remember that this is a giant physics equation. Not only is the length important but so is the surface area. Your legs might be only partly extened or your chest might just be deflecting nearly as much air. Your shoulders might be cupped or a number of other things.

Now on to other debates. I will grant that I love to fly 4-way and that I think that it is the absolute greatest thing on or above the planet. However, when people say that there are other diciplines they are only half right. Sure you can fly big ways wiht a box man body position and do fine. However, what Weird is saying it the gospal. If you want to fly your body better, in any orientation, you need to have a good body position that allows for maximum range in any direction and that is the "mantis" for belly flying. The 4-way guys on the 300 way were most certainly flying with their booties in the airstream and their heads up. That is a nut shell is the mantis. Now if you are suggesting that Craig Girard was flying wiht his hands above his head and back I think that you had better look again.
All the 4-way gods are looking for mor efficient ways to move and to fly their bodies. Being able to fly your arms and legs in the only thing that matters when you are trying to fly better. There are other ways to get the job done just none as efficient.
Chris

I guess you just are justifing not being able to fly the mantis, that's ok though. ;)

f=m*a, I'm very familiar with it in real world applications.... funny though, I would have thought someone coming in to a formation would have to do something with all their kinetic engergy.

you still are missing the point, that if you are on level and need to go straight back (or forward for that matter), there are more efficient ways to do it.

I don't disagree about that, but what she said was:

"Yep, hes right...there are very few instances, if ever where you are going to want to do a manuever like that in RW. Its a fairly radical move that isnt applied often in a realworld scenario. "

Which is true ONLY if you consider RW and the realworld to apply only to point turning in 4 or 8 way. The exact same body position as described (chest up, knees down) works very well to bleed off speed at the end of a swoop to a formation. Last time I checked, that was part of RW and in the real world.

There is no inconsistency between f= m*a and conservation of energy. If you think otherwise, you need some coaching by a physics professor.;) Maybe I can recommend one.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ya i am gonna get coaching. i wouldn't dought if my chest is deflecting alot air if when i don't try i notice that i still tend to have a slight u shaped bend.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin