Nos1s

A canopy to start?

I wonder what would be the ideal for beginners in the canopy swoop. 380 jumps have not and jumped in the last years. The smaller canopy flown've been a Sabre 170. I'm thinking of buying a new canopy and it was the ideal place to learn.

greetings

dandandan

maybe not right away (since you mention you are uncurrent) but maybe once you are at the point where you are comfortable on a similarly sized canopy, why not a sabre 2 170?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aExv7YDYg

if you don't like the opening on a sabre 2 170. try a 169 crossfire 2. love mine:)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Whilst dqpacker's post made me laugh...

I used a Safire2 129, which I was loading at 1.6 when I started using it - although 1.4-1.6 is fine on that canopy; whatever you're comfortable on. I suggest this canopy as it's not as aggressive as a Sabre2, but it will dive and recover well enough (I found a Pilot wanted to recover from a dive too quickly) and predictably.

The biggest thing to remember is that, as you progress, you get better at making the canopy dive. So start high - and don't worry about planing out too high! It's all to easy to think that you've got a consistent turn early on, when in fact you're still learning and developing the dive and resultant power of the swoop.

Also, break it down into elements. So, start with straight-ins, but recovering from deep brakes (eg, for me, I used to release from deep brakes @ 100ft, canopy would surge forward then recover, then I'd flare). Then add double fronts higher up (deep brakes, double fronts, recover, flare), then add turns - starting with small. So deep brakes, double fronts, let one up slowly to carve 45 degrees, recover, flare. etc. Steadily move to 90 then 135 then 180, then 270s. Obviously spending tens if not hundreds of jumps on each.

I started the process at jump 200 (on a Pilot 150 @ 1.4); I had a consistent 270 on a Safire2 and Xfire2 at 800. It takes time!

You can go all the way up to 270s with a Safire2 - and I still use mine @ 1.6 when I wingsuit.

You should seek lots of advice along the way - and treat it as a voyage of discovery. Also, only ever change or add 1 (new) thing at a time!

Hope this helps!

Richard
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13