Jasmin

Check the mods on your gear....

As some of you may be aware, I ripped my BOC apart during a hard pull a month ago.
A few jumps ok. My new boc was tight...
I was busy manifesting so I got it packed by someone else => hard pull.
Show a few jumpers/packers: "mine was like that..." "you're......wrong...." etc All ok for a few jumps.
Bro jumps rig, has a hard pull, is in such a rush (late) he forgets to tell me.
His friend packs it for him/me.
Go up on a 3-way. all good.
I usually dump a bit above 3,000ft, but I decided to track a little further towards dz and dumped at 2,700ft...or I tried to....
Two tugs with no budge.
Two big yanks with not much movement.
[U][B]FUCK THE GROUND'S BIG!!!!!?![/B][/U]
Reserve. I still had my other hand on my pilot chute/BOC.
No point cutting away something that isn't a problem, and if I had I can honestly say this would've been tittled "another cypress save"
Think that's it? Nope!
I'm over the freeway lanes furthest from the DZ. So I pick a spot on the closest side (the off dz side) as this will also put me facing into wind, looks like is also where my freebag is going to end up and all ok...until about 6/700ft where I start going backwards.
Too low to make it over the on-ramp and past the light posts on a down-winder...this reserve has a glide path of an anvil....
A truck goes underneath and honks: decision made.
I spot the tree I am going to land on in the middle of the median strip (30-40 metres wide) of the freeway. I'm on a 7 cell Air Force 140 instead of a semi-ellipt 150 and its 25 knots.
Its amazing what fear does for your accuracy: I went straight through the tree!
The damage? BOC being stretched out, reserve re-pack, bad bruising and grazing of my legs (esp around knees), some sleepless nights and the cost of a case for my 1st reserve ride. Oh, and one flattened scrub tree!
Lessons? Don't put up with something because another jumper/packer tells you your're wrong, fix it so it doesn't become a problem. I should've known better. Pack your rig yourself and practice your reserve/cutaway procedures: I did before I got on the plane and at 1-min bell.
I got off extremely lightly. It could've been much much worse.
I have been jumping for almost 6 years now.....I'd like to keep jumping for at least a few more:P
Be safe everyone. Blue skies,
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

i'm glad you're ok!!! (i'm sure when you look at in now, it's realy funny, ei? ;)

great to hear you checked your emergency procedures twice before leaving the plane, that's what we all should do!!!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Trying to explain it to the whuffo physicists at my work was....amusing
Trying to retell it to my mum (a former jumper) was....interesting
:D:$:S

xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

It is worth noting that 6other Picton jumpers (myself included @ jump 83) have had similar mals over the last two years; i.e. Total, cannot extract the pilotchute due to hard pull.

Part of my pre-board gear check is to do a test; partial extract of the pilotchute.

Also worth saying is company policy: The APF suggests something like "that if any attempt is made to deploy the main then you should chop (if time permits) prior to deplying the reserve."

Thanks for the free booze Jas, glad you didn't ruin our day by getting hurt or worse. It was pretty windy!

Blues Benno

PS: On subject of gear checks. Have you ever checked you can remove your hook knife? I tried and could not as it had seized up!

Also worth saying is company policy: The APF suggests something like "that if any attempt is made to deploy the main then you should chop (if time permits) prior to deplying the reserve."

in my case time did not permit.Interesting also, that
the national coach (FMcE) told me I did the right thing. I had nothing out to cutaway from....like a pilot chute in tow, there's a few different opinions.
I just did that which got fabric over my head:P

PS: On subject of gear checks. Have you ever checked you can remove your hook knife? I tried and could not as it had seized up!

Yeah I check it when I do my 3-ring maintainence (monthly). It amusing that I was talkin to George at the dirtbox, and showing how I can't see my handles when I arch. I slide my hand onto my harness from behind, which puts my fingers directly over my handles. To see them in freefall I almost hav to de-arch....I might put a poll out on that one!
xj

Two tugs with no budge.
Two big yanks with not much movement.
[U][B]FUCK THE GROUND'S BIG!!!!!?![/B][/U]

Yes that's what happens when you screw around for way too long =]. Try it twice & go for the reserve is the rule USPA goes by.

would've been tittled

ummm... nevermind. :)

Chris

Hey Jas, looks like your starting a trend for hard pulls! :-(

This Sunday I had a very "interesting" experience after a 10way, I was jumping borrowed gear with a new B.O.C. Anyway, it was a short call and I was organising so I didn't really have much in the way of free time.

After a lower than normal breakoff, I did my usual track, waved off and reached for the pc. Gave the pc a yank..... hmm still in the BOC, gave it another yank..... shit that is in tight, gave it an almighty pull....felt like it moved a bit then.... gave it a final heave and the pc was out and the canopy was starting to inflate. I was jumping a 129 Crossfire at the time, as all of this was happening I was thinking that for the first time I was hoping for a faster inflation and was wishing it was on my trusty Sabre!

I usually deploy at around 2500. In this case with the lower breakoff it was somewhat lower before I commenced my pull. I think it was around 1800 or less when the pc came out. Needless to say with the long openings of the crossfire I was really thinking about the Cypress!

The canopy opened well and on heading (after what seemed like forever), I headed back to the DZ and landed just short.

Lessons: Know thy equipment! Borrowed gear - more potential problems.
Hard Pulls: Decide when and where you are going to give up and go with the reserve. Don't keep messing with it!
Don't think twice about chopping borrowed gear: part of my problem was that I did not want to have to chop on a friend's gear.
Don't get complacent about gear, this might sound odd but I usally check my gear, since I was short on time on the ground I didn't do a full check.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Very lucky indeed. Can you imagine a passing vehicle's bumper snagging your reserve's lines, and you are unable to cut it away?

Yet another good arguement for why we should carry a hook knife even if we're not JM's or CReW dogz.

It seems more and more to me that it's not the things that we plan for, it 's the things we do NOT plan for tht get us into trouble. We have no freeways upon which to land at Gimli, MB, but if I don't THINK about the need, what happens when I visit a strange DZ and HAVE the need?

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Yet another good arguement for why we should carry a hook knife even if we're not JM's or CReW dogz.

In the UK once you have graduated AFF you cannot jump without one (to my knowledge). I unfortunately was not told this by my AFF instructors and was not allowed on a lift at Nethers by the jump master until I had been shopping.

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Too bad that a lot of people buy those cheap small plastic hook knives (like what comes with a new rig), those are just about worthless in real life.

Buy something worth while, your life may depend on it (like a Jack the Ripper or one of the many medium sized hook knives constructed out of metal).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Of course, if you don't train with it, or really think about how you're going to use it and develop a plan, most likely you'll forget that you have it or will neglect to use it!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I dunno, i have never had a problem with one of the "Cheap" plastic hook knives...
I have NEVER seen anythin work any better in a REAL life situation.....
If you have the presence of mind to use it they WILL work....
Yea, this is from experience....
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

My personal view is that they are 50/50. Living in Colorado, with a landing AGL of 6,000 ft, everything gets quite cold, and u.v. worn. Two things that are hard on plastic. I spent quite a few years cave diving...... and any tech diver would look at a plastic hook knife and call it way sub-par. Why would you not invest a few dollars into a bullet-proof knife?? I personally sat on my chest-strap one cold day, and snapped mine in half.

just my .02
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

I have 2 things here
1.pack your Pc so it cant lock itself.i tryed it onse,we couldnt even pull it at the grown,by 2 hands and a foot at the rig,there were no way i ever could have pulled that one..
After starting at BASE i would recomend to pack the mushroompack to the pc.

2.ALLWAYS do complete emergency procedures..
Why?while you pull the reserve,you make space in your hardness,this can losen so much up that you dump your main..And so what..rigth..if it inflate..Then you have a horsshoe 2 canopi malfunction.. whit the risk of getteing the cannopies entangled you would be better out if you choped it..

Iagree about the knife thing,buy thouse of metal,and if you want the smale ones,buy ekstra and put on so you just can take the next when you lose the first:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Dumb question - but since I've never personally had it happen to me, nor have I witnessed anyone else with the problem - how does a PC get packed in such a fashion that it cannot be extracted from the BOC.

Hell - now that I think about it, maybe my ten year old VectorII is just in such sheit shape that the BOC isn't as tight as someone's newer BOC...

Just looking for ideas (and things to avoid).

Thanks!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Old BOC: If inner layer is more stretched than the outer layer (most BOC's are one piece of spandex doubled over) your pilot chute can get caught on the inner piece and it'll result in either a very hard pull (I shredded my BOC getting the damned thing out) or you'll have a total.
New BOC: Spandex/elastic at lip, is too tight. If pilot chute is packed in 2 parts (ie bridle in middle and rest rolled in from either side to meet it) you may have a hard pull or a total. If packed so entire pilot chute is one roll, I found that I could now pull it out with a mere two fingers....but that's just me!:S
The usual: sloppy packing of your pilot chute (or pure chance) results in your pilot chute and bridal forming a knot. This often results in not enough drag to pop your pin and you get a very nice pilot-chute-in-tow malfunction. ALternatively, don't cock your pilot chute and the result is the same.
IF you're not sure about anythig, speak to a rigger or an instuctor with experience.;)
Oh and if you're not happy with any mods on your gear...get 'em fixed!
xj